drippy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2015 Toyota Highlander, 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
Hi,

I've been looking at the Mopar Roof Rack for a while. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger since I may not use it that much. Anyone in Chicago mind renting me their for a few days next weekend? Would pay for the time to see if I like it. Should be an easy way to make a few bucks.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hi,

I've been looking at the Mopar Roof Rack for a while. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger since I may not use it that much. Anyone in Chicago mind renting me their for a few days next weekend? Would pay for the time to see if I like it. Should be an easy way to make a few bucks.
I'm not near you Tom @drippy or I would. Funny your name here is @drippy as the rack in question, as you may know, attaches only to the hard top, and on its rain gutters at that.

If you mentioned what your intentions for it are, we may be able to rule it in or out on paper.

it works. It's nothing special. I wouldn't put something too heavy nor too aerodynamic on those rails as they're not that strong to hold things down or keep them from flying away.

OP
OP

drippy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2015 Toyota Highlander, 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
I'm not near you Tom @drippy or I would. Funny your name here is @drippy as the rack in question, as you may know, attaches only to the hard top, and on its rain gutters at that.

If you mentioned what your intentions for it are, we may be able to rule it in or out on paper.

it works. It's nothing special. I wouldn't put something too heavy nor too aerodynamic on those rails as they're not that strong to hold things down or keep them from flying away.
I have a Highlander with the cross bars and a basket for the roof. Basically got it to add a bit more space when camping with the kids. I only paid $150 for the rails for the Highlander from Amazon. The company, Brightlines, I think doesn't offer Wrangler cross bars. My other option is to buy a hitch and one of the cargo carriers for the hitch. That combination would be about $200, then I have a hitch and another cargo carrier to use on the Highlander. Or I can spend $300 on the Mopar rack to use the basket I already have. I would prefer to pay $150 for a Wrangler cross bar/rack and then later another $200 for the hitch and cargo carrier.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have a Highlander with the cross bars and a basket for the roof. Basically got it to add a bit more space when camping with the kids. I only paid $150 for the rails for the Highlander from Amazon. The company, Brightlines, I think doesn't offer Wrangler cross bars. My other option is to buy a hitch and one of the cargo carriers for the hitch. That combination would be about $200, then I have a hitch and another cargo carrier to use on the Highlander. Or I can spend $300 on the Mopar rack to use the basket I already have. I would prefer to pay $150 for a Wrangler cross bar/rack and then later another $200 for the hitch and cargo carrier.
It sounds like the cross bars you mentioned are your best play Tom @drippy. I am of course assuming that you have a hard top, of if the Dual Top option, that you are content to limiting yourself to use of the Hard Top only when using said MOPAR cross bars, which require it.

Installing a rear hitch on a JL is such that you would be hard pressed to find a simpler install: 4 bolts. Of course the electric is another story. Better to point, and well discussed on the forum, installing a 4 pin harness (i.e. towing nothing that has wheels that have electric brakes, which are mandatory/common with heavier items, otherwise under the four door JL 3500 pound limit) is not hard. Installing the 7 pin harness with the brake wires though is quite a lot of work, and pricy for the a dealer to do. It's quite the time sink moving wires from the engine compartment, through the rig's interior and out the back--and time--as I'm sure you know--is money. I highly recommend its pre purchase factory installation for those thinking they might haul electric brake trailers, as much as it wasn't for me.

Really inexpensive hitch cargo solutions can be found at Harbor Freight stores need be.

I would be very surpised to hear that Brightlines has developed a Wrangler solution, at least for the JL (as opposed to JK).

Keeping my own "war stories" at a minimum, my needs for roof storage involved getting a kid to college, not wanting to limit myself to the Hard Top only (I have both tops) rails, themselves not adequate enough for my needs, and not wanting to pay for the Gobi rack (excellent product that it is) which was backordered at the time that I was at this crossroad, and not wanting to drill into the rig or its hard top.

Still more, I wanted the ability to put the Soft Top in its first open position at least (Sunrider) or take the hard top's Freedom Panels off when the rack was installed, but not in use (the MOPAR rails will let you do this although I can't speak to the clearances of the devices you install ON these rails.)

Semi retired, I made my own. I don't suggest it. Although my solution involves no welding, it was a time sink.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/#post-301033

Here's another member who did a great job, but whose setup requires welding:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/homemade-roofrack-for-jlur.11613/

I suspect both way out of the park for your needs.

Finally, if a front hitch is for you: here's my writeup on putting one on the JL.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/installing-a-front-hitch-on-a-jl.8637/#post-192446

If you are not in a hurry, the aftermarket will make more and better and cheaper product in time. There's even a roof rack (albeit one you drill) that also facilitates taking the hard top off.

Safe and happy trails.
Sponsored