Roam slimline front bumper question

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Installed this bumper some time ago and really like it so far. Just installed an X20 winch. Had to slightly elongate mounting holes for it but it was not a big deal. Thanks @TTEChris for hard drive magnet idea for solenoid, very secure, might leave it like this permanently.
One concern that I have is lower lip of the cutout for the line might rub the synthetic line once you have couple of layers on the drum. I attached my doodle of the issue. I did not put the line on the winch yet, so not sure how bad the issue really is, but by eyeballing it, it makes me really uncomfortable.

IMG_0565.jpg

This is the way winch mounts to the winch plate for reference (borrowed from TTEChris)
23-winch-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Run the line the other way over the top instead of under? Well maybe not.........looks like they are all set up to spool in/out from the bottom.

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Run the line the other way over the top instead of under?
It would solve the issue but is it OK for the winch? It would put a lot more load on mounting points. And for this I need to either use unwind to wind up the line or turn the winch 180 which is not a huge deal and would probably be better.

Edit: Yea ... Really dont like this idea, it would increase the load on mounting point several times.

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
most likely the line will have to be spooled from the bottom. can you put in a solid spacer under the winch or winch plate to raise it up so the line run straight.

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
most likely the line will have to be spooled from the bottom. can you put in a solid spacer under the winch or winch plate to raise it up so the line run straight.
Not possible to move the winch plate, but spacer idea might work, thanks for the idea did not think about it.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Not possible to move the winch plate, but spacer idea might work, thanks for the idea did not think about it.
just make sure the spacers are solid and not square tubes. i've seen guy use tubes and they cant handle the stress from the winch load. so solid spacers are the best choice. if you can run a full plate (from mounting bolts to mounting bolts. that would be even better. also make sure you run stronger bolts when you get longer ones.

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just make sure the spacers are solid and not square tubes. i've seen guy use tubes and they cant handle the stress from the winch load. so solid spacers are the best choice. if you can run a full plate (from mounting bolts to mounting bolts. that would be even better. also make sure you run stronger bolts when you get longer ones.
All very good points. Hopefully I have enough space to lift the winch a bit, its a very tight fit with this bumper

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have this bumper and the line spooled to the bottom does rube . I used a file and rotorey file bit on an air grinder and smoothed the edge off the bumper so it would not rub the rope. It only rubbed the rope on about the last four or five rotations of the winch when all the rope is on the drum. It was an easy fix, but still a fix. I think if the rope was 10 feet shorter, it would never rub.

I think it is one of the best looking front bumpers out there for a JL. I love the way the winch is almost hidden and protected.
20190912_162558.jpg

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have this bumper and the line spooled to the bottom does rube . I used a file and rotorey file bit on an air grinder and smoothed the edge off the bumper so it would not rub the rope. It only rubbed the rope on about the last four or five rotations of the winch when all the rope is on the drum. It was an easy fix, but still a fix. I think if the rope was 10 feet shorter, it would never rub.

I think it is one of the best looking front bumpers out there for a JL. I love the way the winch is almost hidden and protected.
20190912_162558.jpg
Love the look of the bumper. I guess I will just grind the bottom part of the opening or cut a 1/4 inch or so to eliminate all possibility of rubbing. It will be hidden under the fairlead anyway.

IMG_0566.jpg
Sponsored