Sponsored

ROAM FRAME MOUNT ROCK RAILS - QA

This is obviously a bad powder coat job, but should ROAM replace these under warranty??

• Total voters

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Everyone,

In March of '18 I purchased a set of @ROAM rock rails. They mounted fairly easy. They looked great. They worked for my wife and 4 year old. The JLUR is garage kept, and unfortunately has never seen a single off road expedition. Scratch that, parked it in a grass field once.. wooo hoo.. yep,, sad! We really do love this jeep, and take great pride in cleaning it (I found the damage right before I went to the car wash). Anyway, last week I noticed the black powder coat finish where the foot plate meets the body of the rock rails (basically the welds) chipping away. Then I noticed the powder coat was bubbling up on the foot plate (not so much in the direction of the body of actual body of the rock rail. I contacted Anthony and he basically said it had to have been damaged and this was normal use. He basically said I was on my own. If I am correct, powder coating is supposed to hold up pretty well (better than paint at least). Now, these rails are 13 months old.. I can't imagine how bad this will get in just a few months (Ohio had a light winter, so can't even blame Mother Nature). Does this look like a finish issue or what? Take close look at where the rust is seen through the holes as well as by the ROAM cutout as well as various other places...

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (7).jpg
Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Powder coat is stronger than paint right up until the first chip or crack then it becomes an unmitigated runaway disaster. And any time you have sharp corners and multiple pieces butted together like that, powder is a bad idea. I only use powder on tubing. If you like those and want to keep them, I would strip and paint.

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Powder coat is stronger than paint right up until the first chip or crack then it becomes an unmitigated runaway disaster. And any time you have sharp corners and multiple pieces butted together like that, powder is a bad idea. I only use powder on tubing. If you like those and want to keep them, I would strip and paint.
@scrape Typically I agree, but I bought these from a vendor who makes the following claim: "Rust-resistant E-Coat Finish: E-Coated for rust resistance and then powdercoated with a 2 stage poly powdercoat for durability. Exceeds all OE specifications for resistance to the elements. Made with pride in the U. S. of A." Would you not expect that vendor to hold true to their word or change the method they finish to be more inline with your approach? My point is this is not something I caused, but something related to the manufacturing/finishing process. I agree, once the powder coat chips, they rust is going to just take off. Take another look at some of those seams that are rusting. There isn't a scratch on those areas, and yet, we still see rust building up/paint bubbling. This is a straight up manufacturing problem, so that is what I am asking here. Wouldn't you expect them to own up to their problem and do the right things? Mind you, if @ROAM chooses to not stand by their product, I will probably do just what you said.. I just hate the fact that i have to...

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
The problem is those tiny gaps and edges. E-coating should be able to get in there but then what's going to stop vibrations from rubbing that off. Personally I would fully braze those step plates in and then grind the beads down for a 1 piece look that will take a finish much better. Or do what LoD does and have a much larger gap between the step plate and the frame. The issue is the design so any finish is going to have a tough time, but paint is a lot easier to manage and touch up.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
If I were going to run sliders, I’d find a durable textured liner that is easily repaired at home.

Even if they give you a voucher to have them powder coated locally, you’re going to step on them and grind salt into them this winter, and ruin that coat as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If I were going to run sliders, I’d find a durable textured liner that is easily repaired at home.

Even if they give you a voucher to have them powder coated locally, you’re going to step on them and grind salt into them this winter, and ruin that coat as well.
@shepard Am I to assume you would give the manufacturer a pass? Just assume that this is going to happen regardless of what I buy, and don’t hold ROAM responsible. Take a look at where it’s rusting. The seems above where you step. Your explanation of what could be the cause does in No way address why those areas are rusting. Agree?

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
@shepard Am I to assume you would give the manufacturer a pass? Just assume that this is going to happen regardless of what I buy, and don’t hold ROAM responsible. Take a look at where it’s rusting. The seems above where you step. Your explanation of what could be the cause does in No way address why those areas are rusting. Agree?
No, I don’t agree. I’ll bet your boot rubs that corner when you get in and out. As soon as you rub down to bare metal, rust is imminent. Might not have been as apparent if you had bought something made without the presence of hard angles that beg to have their finish polished off from normal use and trips to the car wash.

Also, start reading reviews before you make purchases. Those rails rusting has been an issue since they came out.

OP
OP

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, I don’t agree. I’ll bet your boot rubs that corner when you get in and out. As soon as you rub down to bare metal, rust is imminent. Might not have been as apparent if you had bought something made without the presence of hard angles that beg to have their finish polished off from normal use and trips to the car wash.

Also, start reading reviews before you make purchases. Those rails rusting has been an issue since they came out.
First, I wear sneakers most of the time, and second, there’s absolutely no way a shoe can even reach most of those areas. Haha still thinking you’re a bit off on that one. However, you are correct about the rust issues, and I fell victim to the promises that @ROAM fixed their powder coating process in that second gen of rockers. Lesson learned I guess. Thanks for the reply. We can agree to disagree.
Sponsored