Sponsored

Ripped Fender Liner

N5lp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and 2019 2 door Wrangler Rubicon
IMG_2657.jpg

I just can't figure this one out. My Rubicon 2-door only has about 1,500 miles of moderate use. Lots of miles off pavement but nothing extreme at all. Stock suspension, tires and wheels and no big flex events. How in the world did my right fender liner get ripped up? It looks like tire rubbing did it, but I can't see how that could have happened.
Sponsored

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You are 100% correct.. The tire rubbed through the fender liner.. Probably was not secured properly? Would have thought that you would have heard the tire rubbing....
Good luck at the dealer, should probably warranty it for you though.

raj21747

First Name
raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R. Enfield500, Suzuki M109, 392XR, 1999 TJ
IMG_2657.jpg

I just can't figure this one out. My Rubicon 2-door only has about 1,500 miles of moderate use. Lots of miles off pavement but nothing extreme at all. Stock suspension, tires and wheels and no big flex events. How in the world did my right fender liner get ripped up? It looks like tire rubbing did it, but I can't see how that could have happened.
thats is very similar to what happened to me (no off pavement use yet). I have previously started a thread on this:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/inner-fender-liner-rub-defect.34201/#post-775294

Keep us posted on what happens with delaership experience.

nam5146

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Wrangler Rubicon
I've had the same issue with my Jeep. I took it to South Dakota (live in PA) for some off-roading, came back and both my front inner liners looked like that. I took it to the dealer and are waiting for them to tell me what is wrong.

I am not sure if it was one of three things:
1. High speeds can cause something similar to this.
2. I got caught in a windstorm, while driving at high speeds
3. Off-roading, while turning & flexing caused rubbing on the liners.

I am hoping to get some results from the dealership today and hoping it isn't anything to major. I have a longer, more intense off-road trip planned for next month, so I wanna make sure my girl is in tip-top shape.

niJL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Ripped Fender Liner IMG_2657

A couple of weeks ago I had the same thing happen to mine, both front fender liners are ripped very similarly. Did you have any luck getting the dealer to warranty it? Mine happened on the highway at 70 into a headwind.

Sponsored

OP
OP
N5lp

N5lp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and 2019 2 door Wrangler Rubicon
A couple of weeks ago I had the same thing happen to mine, both front fender liners are ripped very similarly. Did you have any luck getting the dealer to warranty it? Mine happened on the highway at 70 into a headwind.
I haven’t been to the dealer. My Jeep has 16,000 miles now with no further problems. I’ve stopped noticing the hole.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Posted in retrospect: My front left fender liner was torn by day 2 of ownership on our 2020 Rubicon. After a lot of thought, the only plausible guess was that a strong wind encountered while driving on the highway, lifted the liner into the tire.

It bothered me for a couple of days, and then I forgot to noitce it when I walked by, but it still bothers me when I am cleaning the Jeep and look into the wheel well.

Just wanted to add an experience in case anyone who can improve the design sees a trend.

Thank you.

jlu-rubicon-splash-guard-jpg.jpg

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Anyone make aftermarket fender liners??

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Same thing happened on my Sport. Best I can tell is enough airflow causes one of the bottom retainers to come free and once free the liner "blows" into the tire at higher speeds. I could definitely hear it rubbing at freeway speeds. I drilled a hole in the (now smaller) liner and zip tied it back in place.

Edit: I strongly suspect my issue is a side affect of removing the air dam.

Last edited:

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
My right one was totally shredded after only 500 miles (JLURR new in July). I did encounter VERY heavy winds for over 100 miles. Left one is slightly frayed. Dealer said they'd never seen it, and cut it back for me. I think aftermarket is the only solution today. I am concerned about debris and water into the engine compartment.
Sponsored