donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had a slight accident, apparently the parking spot I picked had a roof that was lower than I thought.

The six base pieces are fine, but the mounting bolts were stripped on 4 of the 6 base pieces (iKamper mini only uses two of the three crossbars).

Too late to look under the base pieces, since they were installed months ago, and sealant was used to prevent water from getting into the roof.

Does anyone know if I can tap the holes and use bigger bolts? I emailed Rhino-Rack support, but figured I'd ask here too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino-Rack Backbone - stripped threads SP302-01

Screenshot from their video seems to show an embedded (?) nut. Hard to believe the nut would strip this way.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino-Rack Backbone - stripped threads DonM 2022-05-20 at 06.07.33

Some closups of the stripped holes, doesn't seem like there's a nut in there. Seems like the threads that got stripped are in the actual base.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino-Rack Backbone - stripped threads IMG_1605 600
Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino-Rack Backbone - stripped threads IMG_1606 600
Sponsored

Last edited:

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
If you look directly down through it, the threads are stripped all the way down?

I don’t thinkyou’ll be able to tap it - likely not enough meat plus the tap will run into the hard top before you get all the way through.

Seems like replacement bases might be in order.

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you look directly down through it, the threads are stripped all the way down?

I don’t thinkyou’ll be able to tap it - likely not enough meat plus the tap will run into the hard top before you get all the way through.

Seems like replacement bases might be in order.
Thanks I ordered the new replacement bases, they came in. I’ll have to get some butyl rubber paste for sealant then I’ll replace them
Sponsored