Sponsored

Rhino Rack Backbone install problem

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I am potentially interested in installing a Rhinorack backbone system on my new ‘22 392. However, I attempted to install one of these systems on my old JLUR and ran into a problem with the brackets not locking down appropriately - at least it seemed that way to me.

I wanted to find out if anyone else had these issues during install? Video is attached.

Basically, the problem was that the bolts didn’t cinch the bracket down to the hardtop enough, so I was able to move the bracket by about 1/8” or so. As the bolts are shoulder bolts, they also wouldn’t tighten down anymore than they were at the time. This occurred on all of the brackets as can be seen in the videos.

Obviously, I’m nervous about drilling into my new (painted) hardtop and then having to replace it if it happens again. I asked RR about it at the time, but they weren’t any help.
Sponsored

Attachments

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Installed a RR backbone with platform and had no issues as you describe. The only "issue" I had, and others will prob chime in the same also, is the small little nut in the casting that the legs attach/bolt down into.. That little nut needs some sort of spacer behind it other wise it can fall down from it's "fixed" point in the casting and be a PIA to retrieve. I guess its glued in the casting, but that glue is weak AF. Other than that, I did have a small water dribble with front castings; I removed and used Butyl sealant TAPE.. The tape was easy to ribbon around the casting and place, kinda squeezed out from uder the casting to roof, and has never dribbled again. And the butyl tape stays super pliable and has been through extreme weather/temps and still is as good as day 1.

So, thats my advice, secure/add a spacer below that nut (between nut and roof pad), and use Butyl TAPE not any sorta liquid sealant. And if I'm wrong and you hate the butyl tape, it's easily reversed, where "glue"/caulking/liquid sealant on your Hardtop would not be... Trust me on that...

OP
OP
Quick

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Installed a RR backbone with platform and had no issues as you describe. The only "issue" I had, and others will prob chime in the same also, is the small little nut in the casting that the legs attach/bolt down into.. That little nut needs some sort of spacer behind it other wise it can fall down from it's "fixed" point in the casting and be a PIA to retrieve. I guess its glued in the casting, but that glue is weak AF. Other than that, I did have a small water dribble with front castings; I removed and used Butyl sealant TAPE.. The tape was easy to ribbon around the casting and place, kinda squeezed out from uder the casting to roof, and has never dribbled again. And the butyl tape stays super pliable and has been through extreme weather/temps and still is as good as day 1.

So, thats my advice, secure/add a spacer below that nut (between nut and roof pad), and use Butyl TAPE not any sorta liquid sealant. And if I'm wrong and you hate the butyl tape, it's easily reversed, where "glue"/caulking/liquid sealant on your Hardtop would not be... Trust me on that...
I’ve tried to find butyl tape and have been unsuccessful in determining the appropriate one. Where did you source yours?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Basically, the problem was that the bolts didn’t cinch the bracket down to the hardtop enough, so I was able to move the bracket by about 1/8” or so.
That seems like an alignment issue, where the holes are slightly off. I have the Backbone system on my 2021 JLUR. I remembered from helping someone else install on his Jeep, that you've got to be exact with the holes. If you're off even a tiny bit, the base piece(es) won't sit right.

Sponsored

djmason9

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bitcowsStickers.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door Rubi, 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed mine yesterday and i noticed a slight wiggle in my front right but not as bad as yours. My biggest issue was on the left middle footing. I lined it up exactly as i did on the right and according the the video drilled my hole and they were off by 1/8 of an inch. The bolts where not lined up with the holes in the backbone bracket. Not even close. (Panic) luckily before drilling the wider hole i check to see if they were going to line up. After discovering they were offset by that much i took a step drill and using the bracket on the inside forced my holes left leaving a bit of an oblong hole. Not a great experience but it seemed to work. Hopefully it won’t leak. Lastly my left rear footing bracket was either stripped out or F’’d up so the M6 x 16 bolt just spun in the hole. And yes i did see threads in there. Hopefully Rhino will send a new footing. I also have serious doubts about these 6 low grade bolts holding up against any sheer movement and plan on upgrading those M6x16 bolts with higher grade bolts. Any one had the RCL plastic feet break under sheer load?

sundigs

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I am potentially interested in installing a Rhinorack backbone system on my new ‘22 392. However, I attempted to install one of these systems on my old JLUR and ran into a problem with the brackets not locking down appropriately - at least it seemed that way to me.

I wanted to find out if anyone else had these issues during install? Video is attached.

Basically, the problem was that the bolts didn’t cinch the bracket down to the hardtop enough, so I was able to move the bracket by about 1/8” or so. As the bolts are shoulder bolts, they also wouldn’t tighten down anymore than they were at the time. This occurred on all of the brackets as can be seen in the videos.

Obviously, I’m nervous about drilling into my new (painted) hardtop and then having to replace it if it happens again. I asked RR about it at the time, but they weren’t any help.
I just installed my backbone system yesterday, and had a similar problem on the back mounts, but not quite as much of a gap as yours. I figured my holes just weren’t exactly in the right place. I was thinking it might shift over time with weight on in and lay down a bit. Or taking it off and widening the hole slightly. What did you end up doing?
Sponsored