Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
hello,

I want to put a new shift knob on my transfer case shifter in the JLU. I removed the Allen wrench screws and pulled/ pried/ twisted/ etc at the shift knob, but couldn’t get it off. I’m also slightly afraid to break it since it’s brand new. Has anybody removed theirs yet? It also seems like the automatic shifter is configured the same way, so if anybody has removed that one, that would help as well. Thanks.
Sponsored

drummerchick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, Sting-Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever figure this out? I took out the 4 t15 screws, but not sure where to go from here...

OP
OP
Cwelroy

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever figure this out? I took out the 4 t15 screws, but not sure where to go from here...
No, I haven't. I took off the screws and pulled, pried, etc. with no luck. With the JKs, all you had to do was pull extremely hard to get them off, so I figured that was what we had to do here as well, but it doesn't seem like that is the case. Hopefully one of the sales websites will come out with replacement knobs soon and will have some sort of an instructional video.

OP
OP
Cwelroy

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I haven't. I took off the screws and pulled, pried, etc. with no luck. With the JKs, all you had to do was pull extremely hard to get them off, so I figured that was what we had to do here as well, but it doesn't seem like that is the case. Hopefully one of the sales websites will come out with replacement knobs soon and will have some sort of an instructional video.
BUMP

Red-5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rebelcon
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone figure this out yet?

Sponsored

JHowell74

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
FWIW. Feel around shaft covered by the leather boot...It feels like there might be type of bolt there but not sure if it has anything to do with the knob.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My guess is red Loctite. You definitely don’t want it to come loose easily. In some cars I’ve had there was no way to remove the shift knob without damaging it or destroying it entirely.

Try heavy rubber bands and a long pair of pliers for leverage. Also, you might have to heat up the shifter shaft to get it to loosen.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
My guess is red Loctite. You definitely don’t want it to come loose easily. In some cars I’ve had there was no way to remove the shift knob without damaging it or destroying it entirely.

Try heavy rubber bands and a long pair of pliers for leverage. Also, you might have to heat up the shifter shaft to get it to loosen.
I highly doubt they use red Loctite.
Sponsored