Solshine

First Name
Kelsey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JL Sport S 2.0L T
Hey all,

I wanted to ask opinions on replacing my rear bumper after someone rear-ended me.

TL;DR - stock vs aftermarket rear bumper recommendations for JL Sport S doing some off-roading but not rock crawling

I have a pretty much stock 2020 JL Sport S that I'm still getting to know capabilities of and have thought previously about the possibility of new bumpers, winch, lift, bigger wheels, etc but this accident has moved up the bumper decision a bit. Rather than replacing it with another stock bumper, I'd rather just get something to fit my needs now and put insurance money towards that. To clarify, I am not and do not aspire to be a rock crawler or really push the limits of the Jeep - hence why I went with a sport. My main goals with this vehicle is to be able to go off road to have some fun and mainly get to places that would be difficult or impossible with other vehicles to go hiking/backpacking/etc. That is, I want to use my Jeep to get me to places to do things rather than the main goal of doing things with my Jeep if that makes sense? I still think I'd like a winch in the future for self recovery - does this factor in to my rear bumper decision? (Like should I get a rear bumper that is also heavy duty? Does it make sense to replace front bumper at the same time? Should I do a lift to balance out a heavier bumper now? Do I even need a steel bumper or something heavy duty? Am I just thinking too much about it?)

Thank you all for your help - love reading stuff on this forum. What some of ya'll do is incredible and even though I don't see myself getting to that point, I think its super interesting and a slippery slope once you start! :)
Sponsored

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

Honestly I would look on the market place first and find some take offs they'll be cheap if not free.

Unless you were thinking about it planning to swap em out before you likely don't need anything more than you had

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Keep to a factory type replacement. If you want to go aftermarket, try to stick close to original weight. A steel rear replacing a plastic will cause the Jeep to squat unless you’re ready to do suspension work at the same time.
Honestly you probably don’t need an aftermarket one.

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

I second the suggestion to find a take-off. I sold my plastic rear bumper (brand new) for $50 and I was happy to get that. Any decent aftermarket rear bumper will be a minimum of 60+ lbs (for steel) and $600.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

From the above op of what you plan to do with your Jeep I’d find a take off stock rubicon steel rear bumper. Has a little better ascetics and is steel. Also the factory from steel bumper you can add the winch plate and add the winch of your choice .
Sponsored