Sponsored

Removing Rubicon hood decal

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
I want to remove my rubicon hood decals to replace with something else. Will there be a faint outline of it visible...about a year old? Or not really?
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
If you have not already thought about it, I would recommend you watch some you tube videos about removing the decals. I know that some heat will be required. Heat gun for example. Concerning ghost lines from removed decal I’m not sure about this.

I am sure that others have done this as well but, I can understand your concern.

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The hood decals are pretty easy to remove with some heat and a fingernail. The raised "JEEP" letters on the side are more difficult.

XAMfed

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I want to remove my rubicon hood decals to replace with something else. Will there be a faint outline of it visible...about a year old? Or not really?
Being in Wisconsin your chances of an outline are minimized compared to AZ or FL. You may need to polish the hood after you remove the stickers to remove any outline if it exists

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Never use a heat gun on your paint. Heat guns are used by painters to heat up and bubble paint so it can be scraped off. If warming it in the sun is not enough, a hair dryer is the furthest I would heat my paint.
A hair dryer is fine. Absolutely no heat gun!!!!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
You can use a heat gun IF you know what you're doing. For example, I used one in the Army for 6 years polishing my boots. I know how much heat a heat gun can heat before causing heat damage:like: But honestly, I just wanted to say that sentence like a woodchuck:rock:

The hot August sun is your best friend:like:

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
“like a woodchuck”. My first laugh of the day!

Thanks!

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
If there is an outline it would buff out pretty easy. Paint correction is not hard, plenty of videos out there on how to do it correctly.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If there is an outline it would buff out pretty easy. Paint correction is not hard, plenty of videos out there on how to do it correctly.
This^^^
A Harbor Freight Random Orbit buffer and some Macguires Ultimate Compound should make any ghosting blend in without problems. Then a finish coat of some Carnauba wax and should have that hood looking factory fresh, and maybe you'll get lucky and no ghosting to deal with, but ???

These tools/skills are great for anyone wanting to keep their cars/Jeeps looking awesome, only costs a couple hundred for the tool, various pads and a couple finishing compounds. That would essentially cover the cost of a single detaining job from a pro.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Is the Rubicon sticker one piece or can individual letters be removed and replaced? If not how hard would it be to remove pieces of the letters? In the end a full sticker is inexpensive but was curious
Sponsored