Removing/Replacing nut less screws

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I need to remove the cowl between the bumper and the fender...What trim tool removes those larger screws without damage, secondly, are those screws marked so I know what size to replace without guessing? Thirdly, when ordering those screws, is there a recommended brand? Assorted sizes usually means some aren't needed, so what sizes to order? Sorry, basically nut less screw 101, lol...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Pic would help understand what you're asking about...
It's the same as yours, lol, or same as it was, the large nut less screw/s that hold the stock skid plate to the bumper (6 or 7 across)...The end screw on that guard on each side help hold the ADD ON plastic piece that goes between the bumper and the fender (it's cosmetic).....you removed them when you salvaged the wire harness for the fog lights in the old bumper for your new bumper...probably

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I use a kit like this to remove pretty much every plastic fastener and trim piece. The black metal one with the two prongs removes most of those plastic fasteners. you can probably get by with a flathead screwdriver, though.

As long as it’s not the rivet type that hold in the inner fenders. Those have to be drilled out and replaced, but aren’t on the front bumper.

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I use a kit like this to remove pretty much every plastic fastener and trim piece. The black metal one with the two prongs removes most of those plastic fasteners. you can probably get by with a flathead screwdriver, though.

As long as it’s not the rivet type that hold in the inner fenders. Those have to be drilled out and replaced, but aren’t on the front bumper.
Thanks, I have a trim kit, just trying not to make a mess, information helps.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I have a trim kit, just trying not to make a mess, information helps.
no problem. I think the ones holding that piece on are the type that have the inner insert piece. If you look, there should be two slots opposite each other along the outside edge. Pry up, and the center part comes out, but not all the way. Once that middle insert piece is raise up, you can take the entire fastener out.

this is what they look like popped up.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/f...JEPQldMznyKX4ufpDnU2m3vWj0--B6hcaAr0FEALw_wcB

OP
OP
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
no problem. I think the ones holding that piece on are the type that have the inner insert piece. If you look, there should be two slots opposite each other along the outside edge. Pry up, and the center part comes out, but not all the way. Once that middle insert piece is raise up, you can take the entire fastener out.

this is what they look like popped up.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/f...JEPQldMznyKX4ufpDnU2m3vWj0--B6hcaAr0FEALw_wcB
Appreciated, and thank you, that's exactly right. Lastly, should I even try and reuse those or are the meant to be replaced for best fitment? Regarding purchasing the replacements, I see kits with all different sizes, do I want the assortment pack or a couple of specific sizes that are most common?

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciated, and thank you, that's exactly right. Lastly, should I even try and reuse those or are the meant to be replaced for best fitment? Regarding purchasing the replacements, I see kits with all different sizes, do I want the assortment pack or a couple of specific sizes that are most common?
Those are 100% reusable. The only ones you need to replace are the rivet style ones that hold in the inner fender flares.
Sponsored