Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
So figured out it was my FlashCal settings. The setting to disable the ESS interferes with the remote start system. Same as if you remove the hood ajar sensor #1 (thankyou jeepinformant!) So i either live with the ESS system or disable it via the other methods and have the warning light on the dash.
SmartStopStart also will not disable remote start and will not cause any warning lights.
Sponsored

HoneyBadger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
SmartStopStart also will not disable remote start and will not cause any warning lights.
The ESS works perfectly fine! It was the way the programmer was attemping to by pass it that goofed with the remote start. I kinda wish the SmartStopStart manual button work in reverse though where it could be turned on when desired verse turned off and not be automatically on with every start. I understand the logic to it but cant help but feel like its being "forced down your throat" so to speak. Maybe thats just me though, this is my first vehicle with the system and I am very curious to see what benefits it yeilds.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
'SmartStopStart' is not the ESS override button, it is an aftermarket product that makes the ESS override button work just like you described you want.

HoneyBadger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
'SmartStopStart' is not the ESS override button, it is an aftermarket product that makes the ESS override button work just like you described you want.
Well, I feel alittle silly now, my apologies! I didnt realize we were talking two completely different things. My list of things to look into is growing by the minute!

jeepauug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL MOAB - STING GREY
I just had issues with battery drain and auto start (and remote start working). I trickle charged the battery back-up and found the start would not work (and remote start did not work either, just the one honk). Once I unmarried the tazer, everything came back like normal. Not sure.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
@HoneyBadger

With the Tazer JL or Tazer JL Lite, disable ESS works lets say seamlessly. In the Tazer's settings you disable ESS and that is it........... ESS is disabled. There is no evic warning light..

Remote Start is not at all impacted by the Tazer..
I know this is an old thread, but I just ran into this two weeks ago. Turned off the ESS using the FlashCal JL (yes, after updating the FlashCal firmware) and now my remote start doesn't work. I don't understand why the Tazer can do it flawlessly and the FlashCal can't. All I want is no seatbelt minder, no ESS and to be able to program my tire size. But this thing is causing more problems than it is worth. I really feel like I was ripped off - the FlashCal might be worth $50, but $250, come on Superchips! Step up and fix these issues. Oh, and some instructions that actually make sense would be nice.
And, BTW, I've sent several emails to SuperChips support over the last two weeks with zero response. Lame.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Yes it runs for a few seconds then shuts off, and if you try to remote start it again it doesn't run a second time, it just doesn't try to start anymore.
ah ha!! that's what happened ....mine did that today, now I know why....thanks!

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I know this is an old thread, but I just ran into this two weeks ago. Turned off the ESS using the FlashCal JL (yes, after updating the FlashCal firmware) and now my remote start doesn't work. I don't understand why the Tazer can do it flawlessly and the FlashCal can't. All I want is no seatbelt minder, no ESS and to be able to program my tire size. But this thing is causing more problems than it is worth. I really feel like I was ripped off - the FlashCal might be worth $50, but $250, come on Superchips! Step up and fix these issues. Oh, and some instructions that actually make sense would be nice.
And, BTW, I've sent several emails to SuperChips support over the last two weeks with zero response. Lame.
SmartStopStart is compatible with FlashCal, (just reverse the ESS disable on Flashcal.) and no remote start problems.