Sponsored

Remote Start for the 4XE worth it?

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Am I missing something, the remote start comes with the cold weather package including the heated seats and steering wheel. In my area you better buy that for your comfort and resale.

What if anything have they done to offer heat when driving purely on the battery in dead of winter?? I would assume they did nothing , so one would have to warm up the cabin on the engine and then use the battery.

I assume the AC is run off an electrical compressor instead of a belt driven unit.

I wonder if many of these progressive green states in the future will outlaw remote starts on vehichles, to "Save" carbon emissions, wouldnt put it past states like CA.
Sponsored

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
Am I missing something, the remote start comes with the cold weather package including the heated seats and steering wheel. In my area you better buy that for your comfort and resale.

What if anything have they done to offer heat when driving purely on the battery in dead of winter?? I would assume they did nothing , so one would have to warm up the cabin on the engine and then use the battery.

I assume the AC is run off an electrical compressor instead of a belt driven unit.

I wonder if many of these progressive green states in the future will outlaw remote starts on vehichles, to "Save" carbon emissions, wouldnt put it past states like CA.
You would assume wrong. There is a resistance battery driven heating system.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...d-2021-wrangler-4xe-talks-batterys-ac-system/

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
So you use the heat and deplete the battery even faster, would assume that would really kill the 20 mile range. wonder where in the dash they buried the cal rod heater.

damn complex more stuff to brake.

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
So you use the heat and deplete the battery even faster, would assume that would really kill the 20 mile range. wonder where in the dash they buried the cal rod heater.

The most efficient is going to be to run the seat heaters only since there's no fan to run. This is why higher end pure EVs use heat pumps; they're far more efficient than resistive heaters.

It's nice to have a garage that never drops below 50F no matter how cold it gets outside...

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll have to check it out when my local gets on, will ask my friend who is a tech what they are using, suppose it could be a heat pump. But any huge load to heat things is going to reduce the range, suppose one would simply put in hybrid mode and sure they have some logic to monitot the cabin and outside temp and switch to gas when temps in cabin get low. Probably should of just locked the use of pure battery when temp is below certain temp. Kind of like locking the trans out of overdrive until fluid gets above certain temp.

Sponsored

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
city of Denver doesn't allow it... refers to it as "puffing".
Wasn't actually because of emissions or anything. Too many cars were getting stolen.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order

The most efficient is going to be to run the seat heaters only since there's no fan to run. This is why higher end pure EVs use heat pumps; they're far more efficient than resistive heaters.

It's nice to have a garage that never drops below 50F no matter how cold it gets outside...
Resistance heat gives the owner the ability to preheat the battery and cabin when the Wrangle r is plugged in. This is a really cool option...it can be used in a closed garage and extends battery range during cold weather. Also resistance heat is instant...no waiting for an engine to warm up.

Det4xE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara 4xE
Didn't see anyone say this, but if you have some charge the 4xE remote start only turns on the battery. So effectively it's the same as the "pre-heat/pre-cool" function people are mentioning.

Stealth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
While 4xe is charging I turned on and using AC. It still raises the % of battery on the installment panel.
and the 4xe manual says
" If the vehicle’s ignition is in either the ACC or RUN position, the vehicle charge indicator may not indicate greater than a 99% state of charge and will continue to charge the vehicle, due to the vehicle loads. "

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Guys cut the discussion 495 is four gas fills. It worth it if you live in cold or hot climate. You will regret not having it ! Especially you are investing 60K already.
Sponsored