Remote Proximity Keyless Entry Functionality

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I searched existing threads on this, but couldn't find anything... question... According to the owners manual, if you have the key fob on you, all you do is push the button on the door handle to unlock/open the doors. That's great because you don't have to dig out your key chain and click on the key fob. Then what is the purpose of the $495 upgrade to get the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature? They are both keyless, right? Is the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature just so you don't have to click the button on the door handle first?
Sponsored

ccarrico29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Polar Edition
If you don't have the $495 remote proximity keyless entry, you don't have a button on the door to push.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Pushing the button on the door handle does not unlock the Jeep with the fob on your person. It only locks the Jeep. Grabbing the handle will unlock it, if you have the $495 Proximity Remote Access option. It'll unlock the passenger side when you grab that handle as well as unlocking the rear door when grabbing that handle. It won't unlock the driver and passenger rear doors. I for one love the option and glad I ordered it.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Yes, what they said.

What they were also saying is that you have to pay for the $495 option in order to get the touch entry/exit functionality, otherwise it's the old standard FOB that you have to press the button on. Its not a standard option. I'm sure the owners manual says "if equipped" or something along those lines.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Let me rephrase the question, I shouldn't of said "button". Rephrase: According to the owners manual, if you have the key fob on you, all you do is pull the handle on the door to unlock/open the doors. That's great because you don't have to dig out your key chain and click on the key fob. Then what is the purpose of the $495 upgrade to get the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature?

Check out page 23 at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/downloads/guides/2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-JLU-User-Guide.pdf .
From the manual: "To Unlock From The Driver Side - With a valid Passive Entry key fob within 5 ft (1.5 m) of the driver's door handle, grab the front driver door handle to unlock the driver's door automatically"

Sponsored

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Let me rephrase the question, I shouldn't of said "button". Rephrase: According to the owners manual, if you have the key fob on you, all you do is pull the handle on the door to unlock/open the doors. That's great because you don't have to dig out your key chain and click on the key fob. Then what is the purpose of the $495 upgrade to get the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature?

Check out page 23 at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/downloads/guides/2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-JLU-User-Guide.pdf .
From the manual: "To Unlock From The Driver Side - With a valid Passive Entry key fob within 5 ft (1.5 m) of the driver's door handle, grab the front driver door handle to unlock the driver's door automatically"
It only does that if you have the Remote Proximity Option.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
The sole purpose of the $495 upgrade is so that you DON'T have to get the fob out of your pocket/purse to physically push a button on said fob to unlock/lock any and all doors. It's a convenience thing. Totally worth it for me.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature be added after the fact? It will be configured from the factory with the cold package/remote start if that makes a difference in the answer.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

Note that is says, "If equipped" in this section, and that is your $495 option to equip.

Sponsored

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Can the Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature be added after the fact? It will be configured from the factory with the cold package/remote start if that makes a difference in the answer.
I don't believe so, but not 100%. If you're looking to save money, I can understand. But it's only $500 for the life of the car. I've had it on other vehicles and now consider it a must have on a vehicle.

Remote start is completely separate.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't believe so, but not 100%. If you're looking to save money, I can understand. But it's only $500 for the life of the car. I've had it on other vehicles and now consider it a must have on a vehicle.

Remote start is completely separate.
Yes, only $500, but too late. I already ordered the vehicle.

JL_Joey

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR Firecracker Red (Ordered)
You don't get this functionality without the keyless package, it isn't standard.

According to the owners manual, if you have the key fob on you, all you do is push the button on the door handle to unlock/open the doors. That's great because you don't have to dig out your key chain and click on the key fob.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The problem is, a) The jeep.com website doesn't have "Remote Proximity Keyless Entry" as an option. So I assumed it was part of another package (I ordered every package). b) I took "keyless" literally. You push a BUTTON to unlock it, which is keyless too. I wonder if it can be added on after the fact.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is, a) The jeep.com website doesn't have "Remote Proximity Keyless Entry" as an option. So I assumed it was part of another package (I ordered every package). b) I took "keyless" literally. You push a BUTTON to unlock it, which is keyless too. I wonder if it can be added on after the fact.
It is absolutely on the Jeep website. If you're on the "Interior" tab of the build and price for Sahara and Rubicon models on the bottom it is there, Remote Proximity Keyless Entry.
Sponsored