First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Who do you think will be the first to re- do a JL? ie remove the motor/transmission and (all) sensors and electronics and basically replace with a new motor and trans and no computer. New wiring harness etc. Some things you might want is power windows and locks,GPS that works(Garmin) with real alt long/lat.trail recording ,AC of course, with manual controls. A company that does this and takes your engine and tranny in trade will be employed for life. Also who puts their windshield down?
Sponsored

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
this i have never heard of. companies do engine swaps and companies will take a new car as a donor and put an antique body on it so as to keep all of the modern parts. called a resto-mod. cost would be, including the donor vehicle well over 100k. its basically like building a race car using a new car as a starting point. and that often exceeds 200k... personally, i'd buy an old jeep and just build it like i wanted.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've read this like 5 times and I still have no idea what OP is going on about.
Sounds like he's describing the opposite of a resto-mod. Instead of an older body on new tech, a newer body on pre-computerized mechanical.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
put a jl body on a cj rolling chassis. that would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it if someone wants to do it. the other option would to stripe a wreck jl of everything and build from there. the problem is getting it registered and pass inspection.

OP
OP
wolf

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Sounds like he's describing the opposite of a resto-mod. Instead of an older body on new tech, a newer body on pre-computerized mechanical.
The correct answer. Give yourself an A+.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
So you’d take a new vehicle, spend a lot of money ripping it apart, spend a lot of money putting things back in... old things... so that it can be just like the vehicles that were the same model for the last 76 years? Hmmm. I’d guess that guy spent 1/3 of the price for doing that and just bought a jeep made from 1943 until 1980 ish?
Sponsored