Rear wheel spacers needed?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Searching has failed me, so I have to ask. I have a Sahara unlimited. Rock Krawler 3.5" lift. Installed 37/12.5/17 tires. Needed wheel spacers up front because of rubbing during turn. I did front and rear to make everything match.

Fast forward to today. I had a UD44 axle installed up front only, which is Rubicon width, and no longer need the wheel spacers. The rear spacers are still installed on the factory D44 non-Rubicon width but now the rear is about 2" wider than the front (total edge to edge tire).

I would like to remove the rear spacers if they are not needed, so my question is are they really needed on the rear? I only installed them to match the front but that's not the case anymore. Looks like the only potential problem spot would be the rear sway bar link but I'm new to spacers.
Sponsored

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
Searching has failed me, so I have to ask. I have a Sahara unlimited. Rock Krawler 3.5" lift. Installed 37/12.5/17 tires. Needed wheel spacers up front because of rubbing during turn. I did front and rear to make everything match.

Fast forward to today. I had a UD44 axle installed up front only, which is Rubicon width, and no longer need the wheel spacers. The rear spacers are still installed on the factory D44 non-Rubicon width but now the rear is about 2" wider than the front (total edge to edge tire).

I would like to remove the rear spacers if they are not needed, so my question is are they really needed on the rear? I only installed them to match the front but that's not the case anymore. Looks like the only potential problem spot would be the rear sway bar link but I'm new to spacers.
Just a swag from me, but spacers are generally used to address clearance and/or looks - and I assume more for looks and matching the front.

I have never heard of adding spacers to address clearance issues in the rear assuming, that with 12.5" width 37", you have reasonable BS/offset aftermarket wheels.

The PITA approach is to pull the spacers and see including a full rear articulation test.

Or just leave the spacers on and start measuring on level ground to see what rear suspension parts might be in the way. Then go full articulation and see if you have 2" of breathing room.

Pete

OP
OP
IronScott

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Just a swag from me, but spacers are generally used to address clearance and/or looks - and I assume more for looks and matching the front.

I have never heard of adding spacers to address clearance issues in the rear assuming, that with 12.5" width 37", you have reasonable BS/offset aftermarket wheels.

The PITA approach is to pull the spacers and see including a full rear articulation test.

Or just leave the spacers on and start measuring on level ground to see what rear suspension parts might be in the way. Then go full articulation and see if you have 2" of breathing room.

Pete
Thanks for the response. That makes sense. I've looked to see what is within 2" and don't see any cause for concern. I'll go out and do some articulation tests. Thanks for the tip on that.
Sponsored