Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about a plow this winter for my Jeep. I’d rather not install a front tow hitch. Does anyone have experience with a rear plow that pulls forward?
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I was thinking about a plow this winter for my Jeep. I’d rather not install a front tow hitch. Does anyone have experience with a rear plow that pulls forward?
I have used this rear plow with success on the rear trailer hitch, but only with the plow facing away from the vehicle, using it while the vehicle is in reverse.

https://www.snowplowsdirect.com/sno...MIw-yt7p3B5gIViobACh2MCAx_EAQYAiABEgI4rfD_BwE

You seem to be describing something that's more like this, even if for ATV's only:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Kol...VgYbACh2hlQvdEAQYBCABEgIMy_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've used it on a front trailer hitch as well with success, but the fact that it can't, out of the box raise and lower by controls in the cab limit its functionality.

It has reduced, not eliminated the need for shoveling when I've lived in colder climates.

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have used this rear plow with success on the rear trailer hitch, but only with the plow facing away from the vehicle, using it while the vehicle is in reverse.

https://www.snowplowsdirect.com/sno...MIw-yt7p3B5gIViobACh2MCAx_EAQYAiABEgI4rfD_BwE

You seem to be describing something that's more like this, even if for ATV's only:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Kol...VgYbACh2hlQvdEAQYBCABEgIMy_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've used it on a front trailer hitch as well with success, but the fact that it can't, out of the box raise and lower by controls in the cab limit its functionality.

It has reduced, not eliminated the need for shoveling when I've lived in colder climates.
Thank you for the advice Gee. They do however have rear ones that pull too. I don’t see many on Google but see a few on YouTube. I took a screenshot off of Youtube. I think the company is Eber.

7878F041-CFF6-42F3-9830-4CD27434BDF4.png

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thank you for the advice Gee. They do however have rear ones that pull too. I don’t see many on Google but see a few on YouTube. I took a screenshot off of Youtube. I think the company is Eber.

7878F041-CFF6-42F3-9830-4CD27434BDF4.png

Ok. Found it on YouTube. Ebling https://www.eblingsnowplows.com/truck-plows

Steve: I'm probably going to say a couple of things that come as no surprise to you hear.
  • I can't speak to the ability for this device to work with a Wrangler only because all the promotional stuff features pickup trucks. Of course that may have never been your intention.
  • Rear inward facing plows attack the snow after the tires have both had to deal with it and trample it, making it harder sometimes to scrape up. Carrying a full load of icy snow within the confines of the plow, on top of your wheels hitting slippery surfaces that require them to pull the weight of the rig and plow, and its contents could be tricky in NY Metro Area snow, sometimes apt to be icy. Note how the promo video is likely filmed in areas that because of their really cold temperatures seem to always feature easy to maneuver, light powdery snow. Never more does this fact ring true than the icy conditions your area is currently experiencing as of this writing.
  • That said Steve, I want you to envision that monster pile of snice (snow + ice) that awaits you at the street end of your driveway that "NYCs strongest" (a.k.a. NYC Sanitation) has put in front of your driveway, all while your plow is, to top things off, also pulling its heaviest weight.
  • I do appreciate that this plow lets you drive in a forward motion for safety/visibility reasons.
  • Notice how in the promo videos the truck being demoed seems to often conveniently have a front plow as well.
  • Given its hydraulics, as featured at its website, I'd expect this, for good reason, to be more expensive that the drag plows like the SnowSport I linked prior.
  • At what might be this product's price point could be snow plows designed for the Wrangler, that bolt on to the rig without using a front hitch. The Wrangler can be a great snow plow rig given its ability to plow tight driveways, with narrow widths and little ability to move snow to the sides while plowing that driveway, instead necessitating it be brought into the street and then on to a curb.
  • You may want to check some of the snow plowing forums on the internet. In a prior life I frequented them.

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

Steve: I'm probably going to say a couple of things that come as no surprise to you hear.
  • I can't speak to the ability for this device to work with a Wrangler only because all the promotional stuff features pickup trucks. Of course that may have never been your intention.
  • Rear inward facing plows attack the snow after the tires have both had to deal with it and trample it, making it harder sometimes to scrape up. Carrying a full load of icy snow within the confines of the plow, on top of your wheels hitting slippery surfaces that require them to pull the weight of the rig and plow, and its contents could be tricky in NY Metro Area snow, sometimes apt to be icy. Note how the promo video is likely filmed in areas that because of their really cold temperatures seem to always feature easy to maneuver, light powdery snow. Never more does this fact ring true than the icy conditions your area is currently experiencing as of this writing.
  • That said Steve, I want you to envision that monster pile of snice (snow + ice) that awaits you at the street end of your driveway that "NYCs strongest" (a.k.a. NYC Sanitation) has put in front of your driveway, all while your plow is, to top things off, also pulling its heaviest weight.
  • I do appreciate that this plow lets you drive in a forward motion for safety/visibility reasons.
  • Notice how in the promo videos the truck being demoed seems to often conveniently have a front plow as well.
  • Given its hydraulics, as featured at its website, I'd expect this, for good reason, to be more expensive that the drag plows like the SnowSport I linked prior.
  • At what might be this product's price point could be snow plows designed for the Wrangler, that bolt on to the rig without using a front hitch. The Wrangler can be a great snow plow rig given its ability to plow tight driveways, with narrow widths and little ability to move snow to the sides while plowing that driveway, instead necessitating it be brought into the street and then on to a curb.
  • You may want to check some of the snow plowing forums on the internet. In a prior life I frequented them.
Excellent research Gee, thank you so much my friend. You make an excellent point about the “powdered “ snow (extra cold). We get a lot of wet snow here. You also made a great point about sanitation leaving those ice piles that require an army tank to move. Thanks again for your time. Happy and healthy holidays to you and your family.

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

I was a snowplow contractor for many years in New England. Everything you said is true. You want to push the snow before it’s packed down. Rear plows suck.
Sponsored