plow or no plow?

Olmer22

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 T
i have 2018 jl 2.0T 4 cyl should i get a plow and what kind?
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
If this is a daily driver I would be leary. I have seen plenty of trucks messed up by having the frame tweaked due to hitting items under the snow that are unseen. Lots of force involved. Others may have more experience. I use a Kubota tractor to move snow.

RKissane

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUW
i have 2018 jl 2.0T 4 cyl should i get a plow and what kind?
This is one item that really bothers me.

Jeeps are not designed for a plow due to the frame design and the amount of stress that is put on the frame during plowing. You can have a plow attached, seen it done many times. But if you do not beef up the frame, then you really can mess up your Jeep. I would never buy a Jeep that has been used for plowing. Just a small amount of snow fall can mean moving a large amount of snow and factory in the weight of the snow on a drive way this really adds up to a large amount of force applies to the vechile.

Just my 2 cents take it for what it is worth.

Ray

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Agree with the above. Lots of junk on the road the can snag a plow and mess up your rig. Tractor with a blade is the way to go.

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Go buy a 2000 GMC 2/3500 for 3K and plow away.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I have a plow on my old TJ. If you are getting a light duty plow like a DK2 for plowing your driveway you don't have a hope on earth of doing anything to your frame. These home style plows are just 2inch square tube for the frames. Even the reinforcement behind the sheet metal plow blade is only 3/16 inch. Even the springs are light so they flip easy.

You are not mounting a state owned orange plow from a dump truck on your jeep. These style plows are great for a homeowner and you can get one brand new for under $2k. Are you going to plow the interstate moving at 45 mph throwing a roostertail of snow 15 feet in the air over the shoulder? No.

Can you plow your driveway and look out for the old couple a few houses down and make sure they can get out if need be? Yes.

Don't let it get more than 6 inches or so before you make your first pass as the light plow will ride up in the snow.

If you want to clear the neighborhood or make side money, you need to look into a Western or Boss plow. Much more weight, way heavier duty, way more money.

Oh yea, if you have a lift prepare to fabricate. The mounts are usually made for stock height and the A frame of the plow will sit at an angle throwing things off so it won't work right. I had to weld up a drop for mine to work right on the TJ.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
I plowed for 18 years with my Tacoma and beat the living snot out of that truck, the plow ended up on the junk pile, the truck is still on the road. At the time I was told by plenty of people that I’d destroy the truck. That said, would I put a plow on my JL? Nope, but there are plenty of people who do plow with Wranglers (Example).

These days I plow with a RAM 2500 but I’d rather pay someone else to do it. The problem in our area is finding a good, reliable person who doesn’t charge an arm and a leg.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'd never let one anywhere near mine. I've made a lot of money from fixing what plows do to trucks that are far bigger than a Jeep.
Sponsored