Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I've been looking around and having found too much on this- has anyone removed the OEM LED Fog lights and re-used them in a bumper that doesn't accomodate? I'm looking for some ideas on alternative mounting solutions.

I installed my Motobilt Crusher Bumper with stinger last weekend and while I love this bumper for it's approach angle, coverage, and overall design, it doesn't accomodate the OEM LED fogs from my JLUR. I pulled those out of the plastic bumper and I'm trying to figure out a good method of reusing them. They have 4 little tabs, 2 on each side of the plastic housing. I was thinking an L shaped bracket just inside either side of the stinger to keep them protected, but there isn't really enough room with the winch mount area. I could mount them inside the bumper, but the slots would interfere with the beam. We toyed with the idea of cutting one of them out on each side, but that would not only weaken the bumper, but open the lights up to damage from rock/ road debris hits. I thought about trying to fabricate some sort of bezel to protect them, but that also seems like a lot of work for something that is kind of a bad idea.

Also: "Just buy a light bar/ new lights" isn't a solution, so if that's your response, please save it. I'm looking for a clean solution to work with what I have, that works with the OEM switch/ wiring harness etc with minimal effort. Besides, I have other plans for aftermarket lighting... eventually.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I've been looking around and having found too much on this- has anyone removed the OEM LED Fog lights and re-used them in a bumper that doesn't accomodate? I'm looking for some ideas on alternative mounting solutions.

I installed my Motobilt Crusher Bumper with stinger last weekend and while I love this bumper for it's approach angle, coverage, and overall design, it doesn't accomodate the OEM LED fogs from my JLUR. I pulled those out of the plastic bumper and I'm trying to figure out a good method of reusing them. They have 4 little tabs, 2 on each side of the plastic housing. I was thinking an L shaped bracket just inside either side of the stinger to keep them protected, but there isn't really enough room with the winch mount area. I could mount them inside the bumper, but the slots would interfere with the beam. We toyed with the idea of cutting one of them out on each side, but that would not only weaken the bumper, but open the lights up to damage from rock/ road debris hits. I thought about trying to fabricate some sort of bezel to protect them, but that also seems like a lot of work for something that is kind of a bad idea.

Also: "Just buy a light bar/ new lights" isn't a solution, so if that's your response, please save it. I'm looking for a clean solution to work with what I have, that works with the OEM switch/ wiring harness etc with minimal effort. Besides, I have other plans for aftermarket lighting... eventually.
That was one of the biggest struggles I had looking for a bumper was one that could accommodate my factory led fogs and still have the look I wanted. We initially went with a dv8 fs-15 and it was fine. Ended up swapping it for a roam pioneer. The roam doesn’t have provision for the factory fog but instead had its own square lights. At this point in the build I was ok loosing the factory fogs. Ended up using the factory fog wiring harness to run the new square leds. Everything looks great and works fine but I know what you’re trying to accomplish.

To get something that will be aesthetically pleasing in the limited space provided is going to be hard. Let us know what you end up with and put a pic of that bumper up

Brett

Rotties JL

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4dr JL Sahara
Occupation
Retired
I put the Supernova V4 in them and they are great!

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
For a slick solution, check out this thread. it's going to require some cutting, grinding, and welding, but it's exactly what I had in mind. Now I just need for this pandemic stuff to die down and maybe we can give it a shot for ourselves. My buddy already "volunteered" his welder and garage.

I put the Supernova V4 in them and they are great!
Thank you, but I was looking for a mounting solution for the OEM LED Fogs- not changing the bulbs.

Rssazn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU, Grand Cherokee L, BMW M5
For a slick solution, check out this thread. it's going to require some cutting, grinding, and welding, but it's exactly what I had in mind. Now I just need for this pandemic stuff to die down and maybe we can give it a shot for ourselves. My buddy already "volunteered" his welder and garage.

Thank you, but I was looking for a mounting solution for the OEM LED Fogs- not changing the bulbs.
any solution?

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
any solution?
Nope. Honestly haven't had the time or patience to think about it for such a small issue. The link in the post above is still a pretty good solution, in my opinion. I may give it a shot this spring as I'll be pulling apart my bumper and to clean/ repaint it because I live in the rust belt. If I go through with it I will likely post in my build thread.
Sponsored