Sponsored

Re: Folding windshield.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Just a reminder to everyone, after putting down the windshield, make sure to tighten those wipers properly afterwards!

In the midst of all that American Northeastern snow fun a couple of weeks back, my passenger-side wiper came loose and made things decidedly slightly not-fun during a 2 hour each-way commute.

I lazily pushed it back up to level at the destination, but on the ride back, it quickly slipped a few grooves again and happily clunked its way against the hood 2,453 times until I got home, leaving an infuriating three-inch strip of sleet in the middle of the windshield for the entire duration.

Also, I don't know if it is because of the freeze/thaw cycles, but the four windshield screws were coming loose every few days. Maybe a full turn/turn and a half per 100-200 miles. No noticeable water ingress into the cabin, luckily. Any water (and there was plenty) that made it in must have run down the A-pillar or into that
weird tube, into the body panels, as intended. No (additional) noticeable wind noise when windshield bolts were loose.

I don't intend to put anyone off of the great fun of eating bugs at 45mph. (Though none in the winter!) The little tool kit that came with your Jeep will take the windshield down and wipers off in no time. My only recommendation: don't waste your money on some weird one-off windshield wiper removal tool; just keep wiggling and jiggling it, or maybe get a wee tiny prybar, or trim removal tool, or a butter knife, that you can actually use for other things as well.

I am still debating one thing though: what to apply to the windshield and wiper bolts, Loctite, or anti-seize?
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Have you tried a little muscle? I haven’t had my windshield down more than about 5 times so far but I’ve never had any bolts loosen Up by themselves.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I've never had my windshield bolts come loose, although I understand vibration can be a contributor. If your wipers or windshield bolts are somehow occasionally coming loose, maybe a dab of blue loctite.

Anti-seize can be messy and is more appropriate for suspension bolts or any others exposed to the elements, etc....or if you like having silver fingertips.
Sponsored