Sponsored

Random usb glitch?

UndeadxWarlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
I looked around and couldnt find anyone referencing what seems to be happening to my jeep. I noticed the other day while the garage was dark that the backlights behind the rear USB ports dont seem to ever shut off. I approached the jeep after it had been off for hours and they were on. The front USB doesnt seem to be doing this. God only knows how long theyve been like this and I've not noticed. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm sure it's not a huge drain on the battery but its bothering me nonetheless.
Sponsored

islanderjeeper

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Yes! I have been monitoring this issue since I got mine. Hereā€™s what I experience - any phone left plugged into the center console or dash usb after engine and power are off (like if you leave your phone plugged in when you run into a store for example) power cycles endlessly. When I say power cycle that mean that if the car is off the phone will continuously charge the phone for approximately 45 seconds or so, then cut off, then turn back on and charge for another approximately 45 seconds, and cut off again and this cycling will continue. I have not actually sat there and watched how long the cycling will continue but I had it a dealer I trust for a few things so I added this to the list. As usual with the JL, anything highly technical or complicated dumbfounds technicians and service reps (several at a variety of dealers have said point blank they donā€™t have a ton of training on them). Their claim based on documentation is that the USB ports should function for one hour after engine cut off to help you with charging devices (which sounds great). However, they could not understand why the devices were cutting on and off and on and off. I have a case number for another issue so I believe that they contacted jeep engineering and asked for assistance. I have a FCA rep involved and I am currently awaiting to hear what the engineering response is from jeep. When I do I will update this thread.

Do your USBā€™s power cycle like mine does?

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I havenā€™t noticed this. I bet the ignition-off draw on these jeeps is humongous. Weā€™re all going to be having battery issues down the line, I can feel it...

OP
OP
UndeadxWarlock

UndeadxWarlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Yes! I have been monitoring this issue since I got mine. Hereā€™s what I experience - any phone left plugged into the center console or dash usb after engine and power are off (like if you leave your phone plugged in when you run into a store for example) power cycles endlessly. When I say power cycle that mean that if the car is off the phone will continuously charge the phone for approximately 45 seconds or so, then cut off, then turn back on and charge for another approximately 45 seconds, and cut off again and this cycling will continue. I have not actually sat there and watched how long the cycling will continue but I had it a dealer I trust for a few things so I added this to the list. As usual with the JL, anything highly technical or complicated dumbfounds technicians and service reps (several at a variety of dealers have said point blank they donā€™t have a ton of training on them). Their claim based on documentation is that the USB ports should function for one hour after engine cut off to help you with charging devices (which sounds great). However, they could not understand why the devices were cutting on and off and on and off. I have a case number for another issue so I believe that they contacted jeep engineering and asked for assistance. I have a FCA rep involved and I am currently awaiting to hear what the engineering response is from jeep. When I do I will update this thread.

Do your USBā€™s power cycle like mine does?
Oh wow I'd given up hope that I wasn't alone! I've not actually sat and watched any devices after I cut the engine. I do keep a charger plugged into the center console and use it for Android Auto but I've never kept the phone plugged in with the jeep off. I will have to check that out. I know that in the setting of the head unit there is an option for how long things will stay powered on after the ignition is off and the default setting was 45 seconds for when the doors are on. I wonder if the 45 seconds in your power cycle is related to that setting. I will have to experiment with that.
Please do let us know what happens with what the engineers say.
Sponsored