First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
JLUR full led package. No heat if you hold your hand to the headlights.

JLUS stock headlights get very hot when you hold your hand to the headlights.

Switched out stock bulbs for LED's.
How do you like the bulb swap LEDs? How do they compare to the factory LEDs? If LED bulbs in halogen housings are "good enough", it seems like the wiser move, since you could swap halogens back in if you're driving in snow, rather than stopping every 15 minutes to dig snow off the lights.

I'll bet a flat piece of polycarbonate could be cut to cover the light recess and would solve most of the problems with LEDs in the snow. I suppose if there were a rubber "O" attached to the inside of this "snow lens", it could just be pressed/friction fit into the cavity and pulled out when not needed.
Sponsored

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Personally I do not see dumping 1K dollars on LEDs. Just buy a couple of pillar lights if you need to for driving trails at night.
You took the thoughts out of my fertile brain. I plan on doing exactly this. Then you also don't have to spend extra money buying the stupid re-programming tool just to dink around with lights.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
How do you like the bulb swap LEDs? How do they compare to the factory LEDs? If LED bulbs in halogen housings are "good enough", it seems like the wiser move, since you could swap halogens back in if you're driving in snow, rather than stopping every 15 minutes to dig snow off the lights.

My response:
My JLUR is fully loaded with factory LED's and tail lights which I think with proper adjustment after purchase of any Jeep, OEM looks and performs the best other than not enough heat to melt snow.

My JLUS has the stock halogen housings and the JL OEM bulb is way better than my previous JK's bulb as far as light output and both produce heat.

When you park both side by side at night the OEM LEDS are bright with a good cut off line and really looks clean.
The JLUS with stock OEM bulbs looks yellow and not very bright.
My intentions were to buy new OEM LEDS headlight assembly's between 700 and 900 and call it a day plus the cost of dealer enabling lights.(or TAZER)

So looking at the halogen headlight assembly removed, I noticed the JL has added a cutoff shield for the stock bulb to help not blind other cars.

Also the stock headlight reflector had etching that resembled my OEM LED reflector so I believe that replacing the stock bulbs with LED bulbs would have the exact light projection as stock bulbs only brighter.

Removed the bulb and noticed the design to get HI and LO beams and used that information to research LED bulb replacement that matched the OEM design.

The LED bulbs matched OEM with staggering 2 LEDS _- -----> with top LED chip the low and the bottom LED chip the High beam.
Only install the new LED bulb exactly like this

Now after parking both side by side and made the proper headlight adjustment, OEM LEDS and LED bulb replacement (fogs and turn signals to)look almost as good as factory as far as light output an function.

The best LED replacement bulbs should have the fan/heatsink attached to the bulb, not the ones where you have the LED and another cord attached to a power transformer that you hide in the headlight assembly.

Great idea to swap OEM bulbs with LEDS and back when needed for snow/ice.

As an experiment I removed the LED bulb, lined the backside where you plug in the bulb and twist, with lots of aluminum foil to fill in all the dead space.

Reinstall the LED bulb with built in fan/heatsink and there is a black cover to remove the bulb and I drilled a tiny hole in this cover and replaced.

My thinking is that the built in fan/heatsink with the hole in the cover and all that dead space filled with aluminum foil would generate a little more heat from LEDS.

After 20 minutes and 43F outside I could feel more heat coming from the LED bulbs than before.

It may be just enough to do the job in snow/ice conditions.

Megsxr750

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Gsxr750 ,2014 Mazda6,and a 2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Personally I do not see dumping 1K dollars on LEDs. Just buy a couple of pillar lights if you need to for driving trails at night.
LED's are worth it, love mine. Looks better and functions better. Live in the Midwest and have not had any snow/ice buildup on them.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
You took the thoughts out of my fertile brain. I plan on doing exactly this. Then you also don't have to spend extra money buying the stupid re-programming tool just to dink around with lights.
Exactly!

Sponsored

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
LED's are worth it, love mine. Looks better and functions better. Live in the Midwest and have not had any snow/ice buildup on them.
It is good you are happy with yours however I do not see worth in them. Pillar lights for much less will do same and better when needed.

Megsxr750

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Gsxr750 ,2014 Mazda6,and a 2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
It is good you are happy with yours however I do not see worth in them. Pillar lights for much less will do same and better when needed.
One love brother!! JEEP....:like:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
There are more than enough threads regarding the LED’s not being warm enough to melt snow resulting in snow/ice buildup. It doesn’t seem like anyone without the LED package views or replies to these threads.
I recently confirmed that the incandescent headlights on my wife’s CRV and my mother’s Outlander produce absolutely no heat to the lenses after driving over 30 minutes.

So, can anyone without the LED package confirm whether their headlights produce heat? If they do not, I think we can officially stop blaming the LED’s and assign it to the headlight’s concave design.
The headlights are Convex not Concave.. But, I'm just being pedantic. I live in Hoiston, and don't have a snow problem. Now, to those that want more light, and LED's to get more light: Just swap out factory bulbs for Philips Extreme Vision. 100% more light. I can attest to them being much much brighter than stock, and I have had them over 1 year, with zero complaint. Plus, they only cost $31. Also, no need to worry about electrical issues, associated with converting Halogen to LED. Very easy to swap out.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I can only say I am doing great without LED lights. I do not like LED lights and so as a result it seems to me I have one less problem to puzzle over.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i did not get the led lights from the factory because paying $1000 is not worth it for me. i knew that the halogen bulbs are not that great. so i ordered me a set of supernova v4 headlight and fog lights from headlight revolution. $348 for the both is the best investment. they are plug and play. no issues. i also got a pair of the 2" cube lights on the pillar for $100. so its a better deal.

as for the heat in the halogen bulbs. mine wasnt that warm to melt any snow off the lens.

kiddy2fan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer, 2011 Honda Civic
We live in a very hilly part of Wisconsin that has many winding, dark country roads. It's not uncommon to drive around and to be the ONLY vehicle on the road. Since it's mostly farmland and wooded prairie ridges there aren't many b street lights. I have the halogens. While they're not super bright I just don't want the LEDs. You can't drive fast in these roads, even if I had brighter LEDs. They've just too many narrow, blind curves.

I did add four Ridged selective yellow, street legal lights. Two four inch, and two three inch fixtures are now mounted on my Wrangler. They really give me a great view too! Especially in foggy, rain or snow conditions. I have them angled slightly down and out. Both pair are on separate switches. I'll turn off my cowl lights when I see lights coming my way. I've not had anyone flash me for having on the set on my brushbar.

As I drove along a long ridgeline last night I was able to spot a deer getting ready to cross while it was well off to the side of the road. I didn't even have to hit my brakes as I coasted to where it casually strolled in front of me. It was a nice four-point!

IMG_20191212_155534.jpg

IMG_20191212_154304.jpg
What bumper is that you have on the front?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I would not base your decision to buy or not buy the LEDs based on how they do in snow since snowy days are a small % of the time you will be driving at night.
That's a conclusion that only the individual owner can determine.

My Android doesn't take the best photos, but the warmth from the factory H13s kept the headlight lenses clean and clear during a blustery February day. And night.

Jeep Wrangler JL Question for those WITHOUT the LED Package Feb 2021

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I live in snow country, and very rural...ten minutes to pavement, half an hour to a traffic light. I'm also so old that my first Jeep had a six volt electric system.

The stock lights on my JL get warm enough to stay clear of snow at 30 below, and are bright enough that my 72 year ld eyes can pick out a rabbit in the road at 400 yards.

If you need more heat or light than that, you must be living in Dante's Seventh Circle.