Sponsored

Question for those WITHOUT the LED Package

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
There are more than enough threads regarding the LED’s not being warm enough to melt snow resulting in snow/ice buildup. It doesn’t seem like anyone without the LED package views or replies to these threads.
I recently confirmed that the incandescent headlights on my wife’s CRV and my mother’s Outlander produce absolutely no heat to the lenses after driving over 30 minutes.

So, can anyone without the LED package confirm whether their headlights produce heat? If they do not, I think we can officially stop blaming the LED’s and assign it to the headlight’s concave design.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Dropped the ball. Missed the boat. Should be heated. Should have wipers. Should have come with a small troll to climb out and clear them. Lol. Just in case it wasn't clear /s

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
JLUR full led package. No heat if you hold your hand to the headlights.

JLUS stock headlights get very hot when you hold your hand to the headlights.

Switched out stock bulbs for LED's.

I do not live where it gets snow so I take the brighter LED's over heat.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Had LEDs on my JK. Giant pain in the ice. Hated the constant ice buildup. My JLUR has poor-man's incandescent lights. They are much better and stay clear of snow and ice. Also never get the "brights-o-death" from oncoming traffic. That said, I also don't drive 90 either. I live in North Western Wi. Not many Mall's or Starbucks or yoga studios that I just GOTTA get to before the guy ahead of me. At the speed limit, standard lights work fine for me. Not much need for warp-speed aircraft landing lights around here. I do have a pair of KC 6" driving lights for seeing deer.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Honestly, I'm not sure if mine produce heat or not. But what I can say is that I have not had this build up that the LED people complain of. Now, full disclosure, I rarely drive when the weather is "bad". (retirement has its perks:rock:) But, I can say these halogens are a thousand times better than my 2017 JKU halogen lights. There is really no comparison. I'm very happy with the halogens. Now, if when I had ordered mine and the LED package was offered I would have gone for it because I like the idea of DRL. Now, I simply just always turn my headlights on whenever I get in the vehicle (a habit from being stationed in Germany).

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Some build up but not in the center and enough so I could see and be seen. Live outside Chicago, during heavy snow I’ve seen Jeeps with LED’s that we’re covered when mine were not. There’s another thread I posted a photo in I’ll try to find.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Have not had any issues with snow build up on my LEDs. Halogens just plain suck, I recently switched my DD to LEDs as well.

I thought the snow was due to the recessed headlights and an air pocket forming. Pretty sure there was a thread people were having the same build up issue with halogens. They do sell heated LEDs though.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I didn’t touch to feel the warmth but they smelted snow off mine no problem. The stock lights are just fine IMO especially in comparison to the crappy JK lights.

Sponsored

hschro47

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just drove through New York and Massachusetts this past weekend while it was either raining or snowing the entire way. The only buildup I had was a bit in the concave area in front of the headlights. No snow or slush on the headlight itself and not enough in the area to block any light.

OP
OP
cjaama

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Personally I do not see dumping 1K dollars on LEDs. Just buy a couple of pillar lights if you need to for driving trails at night.
To each their own. I coughed up the money because I enjoy the added visibility driving at night on-road. They also look great.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
My stock halogens were great at converting electricity to heat and a little bit of light, enough heat to melt snow or ice easily but not as much light as i wanted. Before switching to LED's i never had any buildup on my headlights or fog lights that i had to clean off, however, with LED's i'm noticing that snow and ice don't melt and does start to build up on the lenses.

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I would not base your decision to buy or not buy the LEDs based on how they do in snow since snowy days are a small % of the time you will be driving at night.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
We live in a very hilly part of Wisconsin that has many winding, dark country roads. It's not uncommon to drive around and to be the ONLY vehicle on the road. Since it's mostly farmland and wooded prairie ridges there aren't many b street lights. I have the halogens. While they're not super bright I just don't want the LEDs. You can't drive fast in these roads, even if I had brighter LEDs. They've just too many narrow, blind curves.

I did add four Ridged selective yellow, street legal lights. Two four inch, and two three inch fixtures are now mounted on my Wrangler. They really give me a great view too! Especially in foggy, rain or snow conditions. I have them angled slightly down and out. Both pair are on separate switches. I'll turn off my cowl lights when I see lights coming my way. I've not had anyone flash me for having on the set on my brushbar.

As I drove along a long ridgeline last night I was able to spot a deer getting ready to cross while it was well off to the side of the road. I didn't even have to hit my brakes as I coasted to where it casually strolled in front of me. It was a nice four-point!

IMG_20191212_155534.jpg

IMG_20191212_154304.jpg
Sponsored