Question/Clarification on Pricing Discounts

vgk_rebel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Hey everyone, first post but been reading through these forums for a while, looking into a new JL. I've gained a lot of knowledge and insight on here, so thanks everyone!

My question is in regards to pricing discounts. I've seen many people posting about %-off invoice, and comparisons to MSRP. People have stated that 5% off invoice comes out to somewhere around 11% off MSRP. I am just looking for some clarification, or maybe I'm just missing something, I don't know.

For example, my local dealer said I could get 5% under invoice on an order, so I mocked one up like this:
2018 JLU Sport S, automatic, hardtop, technology group, convenience group, safety group, and anti slip. This has an msrp of $40,720 (including destination). The invoice price (including destination) is
$39,248. With the 5% savings under invoice, the total would be $37,286, for a total savings of $3,434 under MSRP. That only comes out to roughly 8.5% discount under MSRP. I have done a few mock builds with differing configurations, and they all come out roughly the same percentage wise.

So is there something I'm missing or I'm doing wrong here? The only way I see a 5% under invoice coming out to over 11% under MSRP is if I add the destination charge on the top end MSRP and compare it to the discounted price without a destination fee, but that doesn't make much sense to me either, as destination must be paid regardless. I know this doesn't amount to a huge amount either way, but the numbers portion of my brain can't figure out what I'm missing here, and it's bugging me lol.

Thanks!
Sponsored

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd
Occupation
Construction Manager
Hey everyone, first post but been reading through these forums for a while, looking into a new JL. I've gained a lot of knowledge and insight on here, so thanks everyone!

My question is in regards to pricing discounts. I've seen many people posting about %-off invoice, and comparisons to MSRP. People have stated that 5% off invoice comes out to somewhere around 11% off MSRP. I am just looking for some clarification, or maybe I'm just missing something, I don't know.

For example, my local dealer said I could get 5% under invoice on an order, so I mocked one up like this:
2018 JLU Sport S, automatic, hardtop, technology group, convenience group, safety group, and anti slip. This has an msrp of $40,720 (including destination). The invoice price (including destination) is
$39,248. With the 5% savings under invoice, the total would be $37,286, for a total savings of $3,434 under MSRP. That only comes out to roughly 8.5% discount under MSRP. I have done a few mock builds with differing configurations, and they all come out roughly the same percentage wise.

So is there something I'm missing or I'm doing wrong here? The only way I see a 5% under invoice coming out to over 11% under MSRP is if I add the destination charge on the top end MSRP and compare it to the discounted price without a destination fee, but that doesn't make much sense to me either, as destination must be paid regardless. I know this doesn't amount to a huge amount either way, but the numbers portion of my brain can't figure out what I'm missing here, and it's bugging me lol.

Thanks!
I believe the 5% under invoice is just that and does not apply to the. Destination charge. Plus some dealers will add a doc or processing fee in addition to TT&L. Depends on the dealer but no discount on destination.

OP
OP

vgk_rebel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I believe the 5% under invoice is just that and does not apply to the. Destination charge. Plus some dealers will add a doc or processing fee in addition to TT&L. Depends on the dealer but no discount on destination.
That makes sense, and could affect the number a little depending on how the dealer looks at it.

Plus, I've since realized that it makes a BIG difference when comparing invoice pricing vs MSRP on Sport S as opposed Rubicon. The Rubicon invoice vs. MSRP is a much bigger spread than that of the Sport S, which makes a big difference when looking at it as % under invoice.
Sponsored