Question about Ranco Skid Plates

mshallop

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sport JL
Was considering some armor for the differential covers which, so far, have gotten pretty banged-up before I installed the lift and new tires...

I was looking at the Rancho covers (https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ho-performance-front-diff-glide-plate-dana-30) but have a question:

Seems like if you take a decent hit, from any direction, that energy is going to be transferred directly to the four mount-points (bolts) in your cover. Take enough hits, I can see you either snapping/pulling-out bolts, damaging the threads or potentially warping the cover and introducing break(s) in the gasket/seal.

Any thoughts on this? Would I be better off replacing the covers themselves?

thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
That's why I'm waiting for Metal Cloak to make a front diff skid.

RenoMD

First Name
DC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL unlimited Rubicon
Was considering some armor for the differential covers which, so far, have gotten pretty banged-up before I installed the lift and new tires...

I was looking at the Rancho covers (https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ho-performance-front-diff-glide-plate-dana-30) but have a question:

Seems like if you take a decent hit, from any direction, that energy is going to be transferred directly to the four mount-points (bolts) in your cover. Take enough hits, I can see you either snapping/pulling-out bolts, damaging the threads or potentially warping the cover and introducing break(s) in the gasket/seal.

thanks!
I specifically asked rancho this. They said it can bear the weight of the jeep. And it’s been tested on their jeeps.

I still have the same concerns though given the glide plate doesn’t actually rest on the bottom of the differential. The weight is distributed on the 4- 10.9 grade bolts and three small points where it meets the yoke end of the differential.

A39C8200-A1C6-4B8A-9559-63CF89F60A65.png

385AAADB-D57C-4229-82F9-94462819F25A.png

Last edited:

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager

thanks!
I have a set of the front diff glide, rear diff glide and rear LCA/Shock gliders. I have beaten the crap out of them and even bent the front diff glide a little and they have held up and protected exactly what they were bought for. I would buy them again in an instant.

OP
OP
mshallop

mshallop

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sport JL
Thanks, everyone, for your comments and help - very much appreciated!
Sponsored