Sponsored

Metalcloak Skid Plates?

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
Does anyone have the skid plate system?

Currently looking into a few mods prior to our Jeep's arrival. Having a tough time deciding between Hard Rock and Metalcloak. However, I haven't actually heard of anyone having the Metalcloak system yet so I figured I would ask.

Skid system and sliders are gonna be the first upgrades for us so we can try out some (almost) bone stock adventures when she comes in :)

Thanks!
Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
@Kevin8086 I just saw your video on the MC skids and know you are headed to the Rubicon.

Question is how will these play with rockslides? I installed the Rockslide Engineering step sliders and on your video you didn't do any real close up of the side where they mount. Curious if this is going to have to become a PITA removing the steps and reinstalling them after doing the skids. Pics would be great.

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@Kevin8086 I just saw your video on the MC skids and know you are headed to the Rubicon.

Question is how will these play with rockslides? I installed the Rockslide Engineering step sliders and on your video you didn't do any real close up of the side where they mount. Curious if this is going to have to become a PITA removing the steps and reinstalling them after doing the skids. Pics would be great.
Hmmmm. Send me some pics and I’ll take a look and I can send you pics of mine. We’re about to hit the rubicon and won’t have service.
You should probably contact MetalCloak and see what they say. They would have the best Amswer

Sponsored

OP
OP
imapseudonym

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmmm. Send me some pics and I’ll take a look and I can send you pics of mine. We’re about to hit the rubicon and won’t have service.
You should probably contact MetalCloak and see what they say. They would have the best Amswer
Kevin just wanted to say my boyfriend and I love watching your guys videos! They give me inspiration for all of our soon to be shenanigans once our jeep gets delivered!

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Sales/Tech Support- Metalcloak
@Kevin8086 This is how the RSE step sliders are mounted underneath. Wondering if these are the same location(s) as the sides of the MC skids get mounted to.

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

You should have no issues mounting the skids with those sliders. The transfer case skid uses the bottom of the frame rail on the drivers side, but that is as far over as they go.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
You should have no issues mounting the skids with those sliders. The transfer case skid uses the bottom of the frame rail on the drivers side, but that is as far over as they go.
That's what I like to hear. Thanks. Also noticed your sway bar protection skid option. I don't lose the auto function of that do I using that skid? Meaning I can still use the button on the dash to dis and re connect.

Sponsored

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
That's what I like to hear. Thanks. Also noticed your sway bar protection skid option. I don't lose the auto function of that do I using that skid? Meaning I can still use the button on the dash to dis and re connect.
That skid we have is to protect the Forward Axle Disconnect, which is not part of the sway bar. So adding that skid will have no effect on the electronic disconnect.

OP
OP
imapseudonym

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess the last question if you can elaborate for us @CloakedJL

Is there a distinct difference between the Hard Rock Aluminum Skid plates and yours? I know they have additional cross members and saw that yours may still be in development. Definitely going to pull the trigger on a skid plate system once we get our Jeep before we shear all of our bolts off on rocks lol. Not all of us have access to those nice lifts :D

CloakedJL

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
metalcloak.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
I guess the last question if you can elaborate for us @CloakedJL

Is there a distinct difference between the Hard Rock Aluminum Skid plates and yours? I know they have additional cross members and saw that yours may still be in development. Definitely going to pull the trigger on a skid plate system once we get our Jeep before we shear all of our bolts off on rocks lol. Not all of us have access to those nice lifts :D

I have not messed with the ones from Hard Rock to be able to tell you the exact differences. We as a company chose to do steel only skids to help with the longevity of them. The steel just holds up better over time when dragged against rocks. Aluminum does have some advantages with being lighter and won't rust, but we address the rust issue with our zinc coating on them, this penetrating the metal means even if you do scratch or gouge them they will not rust on you. For the weight while they may be a bit heavier we feel it is worth it for the extra protection and being all the weight is very low does not affect the Jeep much as far as body roll or in off camber situations wheeling. The cross member of the JL is more stout then the JK is, and we felt confident enough to ship a version without it and for most that will be fine. We do know there are customers who will be harder on the Jeep and we will have a HD crossmember option for them .

OP
OP
imapseudonym

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not messed with the ones from Hard Rock to be able to tell you the exact differences. We as a company chose to do steel only skids to help with the longevity of them. The steel just holds up better over time when dragged against rocks. Aluminum does have some advantages with being lighter and won't rust, but we address the rust issue with our zinc coating on them, this penetrating the metal means even if you do scratch or gouge them they will not rust on you. For the weight while they may be a bit heavier we feel it is worth it for the extra protection and being all the weight is very low does not affect the Jeep much as far as body roll or in off camber situations wheeling. The cross member of the JL is more stout then the JK is, and we felt confident enough to ship a version without it and for most that will be fine. We do know there are customers who will be harder on the Jeep and we will have a HD crossmember option for them .
Thank you for the reply! Awesome to have such a responsive vendor! I'll be ordering your system sometime within a month or two. Thank you for the replies and help :D

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Kevin just wanted to say my boyfriend and I love watching your guys videos! They give me inspiration for all of our soon to be shenanigans once our jeep gets delivered!
That’s awesome!! We love to hear that more than anything
Sponsored