Sponsored

Proximity access and Overlanding

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
Just thinking will the proximity access be able to be disabled in the Uconnect menu? If you are overlanding or just camping near, or on top of the vehicle the door would unlock if someone grabbed the handle. This would be a potential safety risk… When GM introduce a version of this in the 90s there was a switch on the key fob itself to turn this off I wonder how will this work on the JL.
Sponsored

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
The key must be within 1 meter for the door and you touch the handle.
Extremely reliable but FCA wants way too much for the option!
Way more expensive than our BMW!

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
My wife’s Subaru only works when the person with the keys touches the handle. She can be trying to open the passenger door but if I am on drivers side with the keys it doesn’t work. And you have to grab the handle
Can’t see why jeep would make them different so should be similar.

As for overland safety risk..if someone is attacking you I don’t think that just jumping in the car will save you, it could if you could drive away I guess? But if they have a gun proximity isn’t going to be what causes the end of you

OP
OP
KaDeTime

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
The key must be within 1 meter for the door and you touch the handle.
Extremely reliable but FCA wants way too much for the option!
Way more expensive than our BMW!
My wife’s Subaru only works when the person with the keys touches the handle. She can be trying to open the passenger door but if I am on drivers side with the keys it doesn’t work. And you have to grab the handle
Can’t see why jeep would make them different so should be similar.

As for overland safety risk..if someone is attacking you I don’t think that just jumping in the car will save you, it could if you could drive away I guess? But if they have a gun proximity isn’t going to be what causes the end of you

What i'm describing is you have the car key with you in a roof tent, or decided to take a nap in the jeep. Anyone that walks by and touches the doors can walk inside take whatever they want. I have proximity system on my Audi and VW also but I don’t sleep in them so I don’t care about this ;)

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
On the BMW you can't even be at the drivers side back door and have someone open the front.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KaDeTime

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
On the BMW you can't even be at the drivers side back door and have someone open the front.
Sure, my cars are the same it knows what side you are on. But if you are in the middle of that car on top of it what would happen then? the question is for someone that maybe has a GC with the same option if you could turn this off in the Uconect.

kromealt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner considering a JL
I camp in my RTT on a 4Runner and hang my keys from a tent ceiling hook, tested to be out of range of the sensors. I'm sure it's fine unless your keys are in a pocket closest to the door handle.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
From my experience with Jeeps proximity key, it won’t work in the situation you are describing and shouldn’t be a concern... with that said I can only speak for the system like the one on my GC, none of us have experience with the wranglers system, however I can’t imagine it functioning much differently.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Just thinking will the proximity access be able to be disabled in the Uconnect menu? If you are overlanding or just camping near, or on top of the vehicle the door would unlock if someone grabbed the handle. This would be a potential safety risk… When GM introduce a version of this in the 90s there was a switch on the key fob itself to turn this off I wonder how will this work on the JL.
Yes, it can be completely turned off. You can also set it to unlock only the driver's door or all doors.

If the key fob is inside the vehicle with the door closed, I think this disables the proximity access so someone can't just simply open your door but I'm not certain. This would be a huge safety concern. I wouldn't want my wife to be vulnerable to a potential car jacking while pumping gas or in a parking lot.

w.jpg

ww.jpg

www.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
KaDeTime

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
Z
Put it in a faraday bag
7c681373c0f1aeb8829ef7e4ba5de6a8.jpg
From my experience with Jeeps proximity key, it won’t work in the situation you are describing and shouldn’t be a concern... with that said I can only speak for the system like the one on my GC, none of us have experience with the wranglers system, however I can’t imagine it functioning much differently.
Thanks!!!

OP
OP
KaDeTime

KaDeTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan RLine 2018 2.0TDI
Yes, it can be completely turned off. You can also set it to unlock only the driver's door or all doors.

If the key fob is inside the vehicle with the door closed, I think this disables the proximity access so someone can't just simply open your door but I'm not certain. This would be a huge safety concern. I wouldn't want my wife to be vulnerable to a potential car jacking while pumping gas or in a parking lot.

w.jpg

ww.jpg

www.jpg

Awesome thanks !!! As for key inside I think this only applies when the engine is on when off you can open the door from outside in Audi and VW but not sure on the jeep
Sponsored