Programmer Question…..

KHR Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Wrangler
Hello and thank you for your help……. On the “”Z automotive”” “”Jscan”” and “”Superchips”” Do you need to remove all three of these before taking in your jeep to the dealership? “”””””””””””””””” I thought ”””””””””””””””””” you only need to remove a programer if it changes your ***** horsepower ***** before taking it into the dealership. Thank you again everyone for your help.
Sponsored

Last edited:

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You have to program it back to stock then remove the bypass module. I forgot what’s it called but it’s the thing the plugs into the two plugs you pull off from under the steering wheel.

if I recall if you don’t change it back to stock and they make changes on your ECM it overwrites your changes. Then when you go in and change back your profiles it overwrites their updates.

You always want change back to stock, remove the modules before taking it into the dealer.

OP
OP

KHR Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Wrangler
You have to program it back to stock then remove the bypass module. I forgot what’s it called but it’s the thing the plugs into the two plugs you pull off from under the steering wheel.
What I’m asking is….. will these three programmers Screw with your warranty? I was aware of programmers that enhance your horsepower will Void your warranty but I didn’t know if these programmers screw with your warranty also?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
What I’m asking is….. will these three programmers Screw with your warranty?

I was aware of programmers that enhance your horsepower will Void your warranty but I didn’t know if these programmers screw with your warranty also?
As documented on this forum by fellow owners, it is indeed possible that a CDJR Service Dept. may refuse warranty services if proof of modification (in the form of electronic programmers) is discovered.

You might consider preemptively calling the dealer that you expect to service your Jeep, to make an anonymous inquiry about their policy regarding programmers vs. warranty coverage.

The same question could be posed to the companies that produce Tazers, etc. Don't be surprised if they're less than forthcoming, since you're plainly asking about a subject that goes against their self interest.

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
the above post sums it all up. But it can come down to the dealership. There are some dealerships that sell modded up jeeps. So they might give leniency in regards to things like programmers and mods.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
the above post sums it all up. But it can come down to the dealership. There are some dealerships that sell modded up jeeps. So they might give leniency in regards to things like programmers and mods.
@KrzybonesJLU
@KHR Racing

Unfortunately, this is not necessarily true these days... You can have a Service Dept. that turns their head to your having a programmer ..... and them give you "leniency" as you put it.... BUT, but as soon as the dealership Tech, hooks up the vehicle to the WiTechII computer then Stelantis sees all so to speak... can see lots... their system sees lots and Stellantis ... the system may cry foul so to speak. The WiTechII talks directly to Stellantis, each time the vehicle is hooked up to it.

Best move today is to unmarry the programmer and take the programmer itself out of the vehicle before the vehicle goes to the dealership Service Dept.. No mention of using a programmer should be uttered to any dealership employee.

One reason why guys/gals like to use JSCAN is that there is no marry / unmarry to deal with. You do your programming and then just take the vehicle to the dealership Service Department. When the vehicle comes back you use JSCAN to check to see if your settings are still as you want them and that is it.

With a Tazer JL or a Superchips Flashcal, you need to unmarry and remove hardware and then go to dealer. After dealer visit you remarry and redo settings as needed.

cabjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
My understanding with the Tazer is that there are some changes that can be made, such as Halogen to LED lights, that are programmed, and some, such as rear camera on with turn signal, that require the Tazer to say plugged in. My question is when you make changes to the Halogen to LED, I doubt you need to change that back when servicing. And I don't know if it would be changed back when serviced. I am getting LEDs and was considering JSCAN to make the change.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My understanding with the Tazer is that there are some changes that can be made, such as Halogen to LED lights, that are programmed, and some, such as rear camera on with turn signal, that require the Tazer to say plugged in. My question is when you make changes to the Halogen to LED, I doubt you need to change that back when servicing. And I don't know if it would be changed back when serviced. I am getting LEDs and was considering JSCAN to make the change.

@cabjl

With the Tazer JL, you must unmarry and remove the Tazer JL and reconnect the 2 connections at the Security Gateway before you take the JL to the Service Dept.. When you unmarry your settings are more often then not history. When you get the JL back from Service, you hook up Tazer JL, remarry and then redo settings.

With JSCAN, you do not have the unmarry dance. Just bring the JL to the Service Dept. and after the visit check and redo settings you made if .... if, necessary.

OP
OP

KHR Racing

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Wrangler
@cabjl

With the Tazer JL, you must unmarry and remove the Tazer JL and reconnect the 2 connections at the Security Gateway before you take the JL to the Service Dept.. When you unmarry your settings are more often then not history. When you get the JL back from Service, you hook up Tazer JL, remarry and then redo settings.

With JSCAN, you do not have the unmarry dance. Just bring the JL to the Service Dept. and after the visit check and redo settings you made if .... if, necessary.
Question: obviously with the Tazer if you left it in there they will see the unit. But with a Jscan won’t they still know you modified it with the changes that you have made still left in it? Thanks.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question: obviously with the Tazer if you left it in there they will see the unit. But with a Jscan won’t they still know you modified it with the changes that you have made still left in it? Thanks.
@KHR Racing

When the Tech hooks up to the WiTechll he does so for a reason... to update... to see avail updates offered and more.

He/she... the Tech is not lets say informed with a pop up saying alert, alert changes were made... The Tech would have to search ... furrow out lets say, to see if a setting was enabled or not enabled.

THEN.... if he noticed a setting was enabled or disabled, the Tech would not necessarily know how it got enabled or disabled. Was it enabled/disabled by another dealer, an aftermarket programmer, etc... Yes, if Stellanits reallly wanted to furrow that info out they probably could.... but would have to be a big deal thing for them to spend the time to dig dig... You won't see a dealership tech doing this..

Just before a service dept. visit, DO unmarry the Tazer JL and remove the Tazer JL itself and reconnect the 2 cables at the Security Gateway.

With JSCAN, just go to dealer, then recheck settings when the JL is out of there.

Big issue with the Tazer JL when compared to JSCAN is the marrying and unmarrying needed if you use a Tazer JL. IF you do not unmarry and dealer does updates.... then the Tazer JL processes when you use the Tazer JL after the delaer visit will possibly (not always) fruck with an update the Tech did with the WiTech ll during the dealer visit.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Tazer, alpha OBDII, and Jscan are no programmers. They make no changes to he engine operating system and are not flashed on as part of a new application file. Alpha OBDII and JLScan access configurations that already exist on board you Body control module and activates different options that are already available in the operating system just not activated. Tazer does this as well, but also takes it one step further by putting itself in the net work traffic (marrying) as an additional ecm to make demands of other modules during runtime operation of your jeep. This is things like brake hold, lights, and power up cycles. This is definitely a gray area as it is not really modifying the application software on the jeep, but utilizing functions in different ways than anticipated by Jeep. When the dealer flashes a new application, they may set all of the settings back to stock, depending on how they choose to flash the machine. You will not overwrite their changes by turning the settings back on.
Sponsored