Sponsored

Power door locks timing out.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My wife noticed something yesterday when she picked my daughter up after school. She had been sitting in the parking lot between five and ten minutes with the doors locked. When my daughter got to the Jeep my wife was unable to use the power lock on the door to open the locks. My wife pulled the latch on her door and all doors unlocked.

I've noticed if I am sitting with the a door open the lights power off after a few minutes. Is the power cut to the lock controls in the doors after a certain amount of time? Power is still there, otherwise the vehicle wouldn't recognize the latch opening and respond by popping the other locks.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Yes @Cascade_Mojito Matt, I have experienced this. In fact I didn't know the manual latch could be used--I just went to the key fob and pressed the unlock button.

Before installing a dual dash cam I was sitting in the rig while it was off, in the driver's seat, trying to see if I could figure out under what conditions the vanity lights in the driver's side sun visor would turn off after the rig is shut down. People had reported here that their rigs were off for days with the driver's window open and returned to stick their hands inside the rig to find the sun visor lights still operational.

I was going to use the wires that energize this light as my battery source: i.e. wires that remain energized when the rig is off as long as the battery has power and its cables are connect to it.

I don't know what causes this shut down you describe: I theorize weight on the driver's seat may play a role. Nor do I know how such settings can be changed and the difficulty in effecting this.

But you're not alone in having faced this shutdown.

Just out of curiosity, do you have proximity locks on the doors? I do not.

OP
OP
Cascade_Mojito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
RussJeep1, I do not have the proximity locks either. Now I'm going to have to try the vanity lights to see if they work when the locks are dormant.

I love a mystery!

OP
OP
Cascade_Mojito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Everything powers off after a set amount of time. To wake things up you can open a door, open the center console or push the ignition button.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Everything powers off after a set amount of time. To wake things up you can open a door, open the center console or push the ignition button.
According to the owner’s manual, there is a setting in UConnect called “Engine Off Options - Doors On Engine Off Power Delay +/-“. No idea what this does but maybe allows you to adjust the timing before power cuts off?

Just seems odd it would cut power to the power lock switches. Those have always been powered on all my other vehicles to my knowledge. Never know when you might need to lock all the doors in an emergency situation.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cascade_Mojito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
According to the owner’s manual, there is a setting in UConnect called “Engine Off Options - Doors On Engine Off Power Delay +/-“. No idea what this does but maybe allows you to adjust the timing before power cuts off?

Just seems odd it would cut power to the power lock switches. Those have always been powered on all my other vehicles to my knowledge. Never know when you might need to lock all the doors in an emergency situation.
I agree, this comes under the heading of "What were they thinking?"

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have seen the 8.4" screen in the Cherokee. There is an option screen with lots of options and that's the answer.

OhReally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella JLUS, Honda Odyssey
Wouldn't this keep people from walking up, reaching in, and unlocking all the doors?

Just wondering.

OP
OP
Cascade_Mojito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have seen the 8.4" screen in the Cherokee. There is an option screen with lots of options and that's the answer.
The only option on the JL is Power off doors and it isets the time the Uconnect powers off. Mine is set for 45 seconds. The door locks go dark around 10 minutes.

OhReally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella JLUS, Honda Odyssey
If you can reach in you can open the door latch and that unlocks all the doors. After the lock/unlock switch goes dark, the latch is still functional.
Good to know. Thanks.
Sponsored