Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Id highly recommend renting one for her for a week to see if she would like it.

My sister really wanted a camaro. Talked about it for years. I told her about complaints about the bunker feeling. She laughed it off. She finally rented one for a weekend and hated it.

I love my wrangler for off roading and dropping the top for open air cruising but for DD? No thanks. We had an explorer sport with TTV6 and awd. That thing was incredible for DD. Fully loaded, comfortable and fast! Lots of tech etc. we outgrew it and replaced it with a suburban, not the wrangler. I like speed, that suv was fun! With lead foot averaged about 16-17mpg on premium.

I drove the wrangler for a work day. About 100 miles or so. It was great at first. Then started to wear on me. I think softer, more streetable tires would help though. Like stock sahara.
Sponsored

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
I daily drive my Sahara and it's great. It's also my first jeep and yes, the lifestyle/mod bug has started to bite but I'm ok with that coming from modded sports cars.

I drive roughly 40 miles round trip each day and average 20mpg. I have the 3.6L and 6spd manual. The only time it gets tiring is, like most others have said, during heavy cross winds. Is it unbearable? No. You just have to pay attention to what you're doing.

The wife likes riding in it best and occasionally likes to take it out as she misses driving manuals but prefers to drive it in town. I wouldn't take it on a road trip with the family but I could.

Finally, I too look out in the garage and smile. The jeep wave is real. At first it wasn't happening but I see it more and more now. Just rent one, drive for a week and see what the consensus is. I didn't need leather or a Rubicon but I did want the sound system and LED package. I have dual tops as well. Enjoy!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Your husband needs help..kidding of course

The old Humvees, yes, maybe...but the newer all plastic looking things that they build extra large for no practical reason are useless and ugly.

Now, if your talking about the "tie your hair back at a red light and show your a husband a good time" hummer...then yes, total fist bump
:like:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hi everybody. My wife is looking at a new Sahara for her daily driver, and I was wondering what folks could offer for thoughts on the Sahara? We both like the idea of the Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System for the day to day drive come winter with snow and black ice. I drove the 4 Cyclinder a couple of months ago in a Rubicon and was pretty impressed.

A few questions come to mind:
-Realistic Fuel Economy Expectations
-How does the Wrangler handle on the highway (especially on a windy day)
-What are the pro’s and con’s a new owner should expect

I guess in short, we’re looking for current owners thoughts. I’ve watched/read multiple reviews, so I’ve got a good idea of what to expect as does my wife. I’d just like to see what others think.
In stock form, I was seeing 20 MPG hand calculated. I drive about 1,200 miles per month and it's a pretty even 50/50 mix of city/highway.

The Wrangler is shaped like a box and is very lightweight. The wind blows it around like a rag doll. That's just how it is.

Overall, it's a fairly practical vehicle that can also be a load of fun. I find it to be a pretty good purchase also, due to its very high resale value.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I'll break rank and tell you right now- the "lifestyle" thing is a marketing answer, and only applies to certain people. That's up to you.
I'm also not going to tell you "Don't buy a Jeep" because the universal Jeeps (Willy's, CJ's, Wranglers) are loads of fun. They're solid vehicles that can go pretty much anywhere with the right driver.

I've had Wranglers since 2003. This is my third. I had 2 TJ's before this (stats in signature). I have a Rubicon, so anything Sahara specific I can't really comment on, but here are my general findings:

A few questions come to mind:
-Realistic Fuel Economy Expectations
My daily commute is ~4 miles, but I drive anywhere between 30+ each week. Mostly Northeastern Suburban sprawl, I can hit 16-18. On longer road trips I've averaged 19-20.8 w/ the V6 and manual trans. You might get a few extra with the Turbo-4 Based on what I've read.

-How does the Wrangler handle on the highway (especially on a windy day)
I won't lie to you, it handles like a big box. You feel it at first, depending on what you're used to; Going from a TJ to a JLUR, i would feel it on lane changes and it was a little unsettling, but I've gotten used to a much bigger, heavier vehicle, and I don't even notice it now. Wheel base will help smooth it out as well. It rides much smoother than my TJ's ever did (partially to wheelbase, partially from some of the suspension tuning). Just be aware that it is a vehicle with solid axles and won't ride as smoothly as an SUV. Also, it can go faster, but I honestly don't push much past 75.

-What are the pro’s and con’s a new owner should expect
They're not the best on gas, they ride rougher than other "competing" SUV", sometimes in the winter/summer during extreme heat or cold it takes a while for the temp to normalize (both hard and soft tops), and I'm not sure about the JL platform but on my TJ's, after 80k mi you really had to pay attention to maintenance. On the JL's specifically, check your frame welds and make sure any TSB's/ recalls have been taken care of because they've had some funky issues here and there that I've read about on this forum.

That said, I wouldn't have it any other way. I've driven fast cars, and pickup trucks. There's a reason I bought another Wrangler and a reason I swore I would always have one. Part of it is because I'm part of what's considered the "Lunatic Fringe" who goes out and climbs boulders and plays in the dirt- That's why I bought a Rubicon. But my JLUR handles family road trips pretty well, and is a lot of fun. My son loves it, especially this summer when we went to the ocean and got to cruise by the beach with the top down. He always asks for that now. I work nights, and last winter when we got 24" of snow dropped and it was still coming, I got home from work one morning to 3ft snow drifts. I put it in 4 low, locked my axles, and drove over that 3ft snow drift to make my own parking spot.

Just make sure you do your research and don't take any crap from dealers when you're buying. But this post has been long enough. I'll save that for another post.
Sponsored