Sponsored

Poll: What head unit should I replace my 7" uConnect system with?

What head unit should I replace my 7" uConnect system with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JLUR IT

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my JLUR on a whim and it was missing a few options but I was OK with it. Now during the COVID-19 Quarantine I've come to terms with the fact that the 7" uConnect needs upgrading. Please cast your vote and help me choose which unit to purchase. I acknowledge that the uConnect 8.4" is the easiest install, then Insane Audio and finally Alpine X409. I did an Alpine in my 2013 JKU and it was a real PITA but obviously things like factory back up cameras were not standard in those like the JL so there was even more involved. Please share cast your vote below and or share you experiences with or opinions to help me both choose and pass the time. TIA and be safe!

-Jesse
Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I'm just starting to research this myself. Of your choices I would most consider the JL3001. Northridge 4x4 has them for $1399. Second choice would be a used 8.4" unit. The Alpine is just too rich for my blood.

OP
OP
JLUR IT

JLUR IT

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just starting to research this myself. Of your choices I would most consider the JL3001. Northridge 4x4 has them for $1399. Second choice would be a used 8.4" unit. The Alpine is just too rich for my blood.
My biggest concern with insane audio is that I’m an iPhone user and it is an Android platform.

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
My biggest concern with insane audio is that I’m an iPhone user and it is an Android platform.
Doesn't it include the Apple CarPlay platform? I am also shopping around and am leaning towards the Insane Audio JL3001.

OP
OP
JLUR IT

JLUR IT

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't it include the Apple CarPlay platform? I am also shopping around and am leaning towards the Insane Audio JL3001.
I believe that it does but I believe early reviews was that it wasn't all that reliable. That was in January 2020 from what I read.

Sponsored

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I believe that it does but I believe early reviews was that it wasn't all that reliable. That was in January 2020 from what I read.
Thanks. I have been reading up and there is a very good, long thread all about the head unit. It looks like some Jeeps had slower USB connection ports that are not fast enough for Apple CarPlay. They have a workaround by supplying a USB cable that routes to the glovebox. I may place a call to Northridge 4X4 to ask them about the latest info on the JL3001 head unit. I am very interested in the larger back up camera screen. The 15 band equalizer sounds very interesting to me also. (Of course all of the other great features pique my interest also...the apps, music sources, etc.)

** UPDATE ** I called Northridge 4x4 to ask about the current status of the JL3001 and CarPlay. No details available.

Last edited:

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
** UPDATE ** I called Northridge 4x4 to ask about the current status of the JL3001 and CarPlay. No details available.
I've been emailing with Insane audio about their headunit. There's a large post from me in the insane audio thread. I'll say I'm personally going to hold off on getting insane audio until some items are addressed. There are many stock items that run through the headunit which haven't been implemented such as controlling the stock aux switches or basic functionality of the jeep like "Unlocking with key fob unlocks (all doors/drivers door only)". $1400 is a lot of cash for a head unit that cannot do all the items of a stock head unit.

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I've been emailing with Insane audio about their headunit. There's a large post from me in the insane audio thread. I'll say I'm personally going to hold off on getting insane audio until some items are addressed. There are many stock items that run through the headunit which haven't been implemented such as controlling the stock aux switches or basic functionality of the jeep like "Unlocking with key fob unlocks (all doors/drivers door only)". $1400 is a lot of cash for a head unit that cannot do all the items of a stock head unit.
I received an e-mail back from Insane Audio and they indicated that some parts needed for the production of the JL3001 (and other units for that matter) have been on backorder. They expect shipments this week and will be back at building head units very soon. I went ahead and ordered it for my JL Wrangler Sport. I'm not bothered by some features that are not available. I am certain that software updates will include changes that provide some of these features.

OP
OP
JLUR IT

JLUR IT

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Alpine X409 ordered. ETA 4.7.2020.

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Congrats on the Alpine X409 purchase.

I ordered the Insane Audio JL3001 on March 31st and found out that they have indeed received the parts needed to get back into production. They indicated that my radio should ship
'shortly". Hopefully they meant this week. Im looking forward to replacing the Connect 5" head unit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLUR IT

JLUR IT

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the Alpine X409 purchase.

I ordered the Insane Audio JL3001 on March 31st and found out that they have indeed received the parts needed to get back into production. They indicated that my radio should ship
'shortly". Hopefully they meant this week. Im looking forward to replacing the Connect 5" head unit.
What a relief that the parts will be available! GL with install, I’m going to be reminding myself every step of the way to be patient and take my time.

STxWrangler

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
What a relief that the parts will be available! GL with install, I’m going to be reminding myself every step of the way to be patient and take my time.
Yeah...it's great that they could secure the parts needed. I dug into the head unit before when I installed an Apline PSS 23-WRA subwoofer/amp. It's not all that difficult but you do need to make sure that you connect all of the wires in the right place and that you don't forget to connect something. The wires were labeled with the Alpine unit and I presume that the JL3001 will also have wire harness labels so that it makes it a breeze to connect.

During the subwoofer/amp install I thought I had finished but couldn't get the subwoofer to power up. I then discovered that I forgot to connect the hot wire to it (D'OH!!!). Plugged it in from under th seat and voila....it was up and running.

OP
OP
JLUR IT

JLUR IT

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
On my JKU Alpine headunit last summer I bought a brand new amp and wired all speakers to it. Took me over a week to figure out that it wasn’t my faulty work but a faulty brand new amp!!!

Xeefactor

First Name
Leasia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport jl
On my JKU Alpine headunit last summer I bought a brand new amp and wired all speakers to it. Took me over a week to figure out that it wasn’t my faulty work but a faulty brand new amp!!!
Are you selling the unit you’re replacing? I’d be interested in purchasing it.

OP
OP
JLUR IT

JLUR IT

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
7” uConnect is going for sale Monday.