Sponsored

PLEASE HELP scraping scratching sound...UPDATE!

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
Exercise Therapist/Martial Artist
Hey guys,
I need some help/advice.
I took delivery of my 2019 JLRU on April 8th 2019...After the initial adjustment of switching from a Lexus RX350 to the Jeep, I noticed this swaying, scratching sound coming from near the footwell, but more behind the dash assembly.
I called my sales guy, and he said he had never heard of it, but to maybe wait for the first service to see if it settles in, or have it looked at at that time.
October 23 2019, I have the first service with 4259 miles....complained about the noise and had the 1st Wave service. It returned to me with a note on the invoice from the tech that did the work “Verified noise, characteristic of vehicle”...Ok.
Went on with my life, but still unsettled by the noise. Went back April 6th 2020 for my second service at 7434miles....and state inspection. We were already in the midst of the pandemic, the Jeep returned with no scraping noise. I was ecstatic...called the service manager and thanked them for being able to address my complaint...but after a few weeks it returned gradually....
April 30th 2020, I have the DynaTrac EnduroSport lift installed by a great off road shop, and when I picked it up, the guy said...
“Your Jeep drives great, but it makes this weird scratching sound...”
So I asked him “ Not a characteristic of the JL...?” He looks at me....”Not that I have ever experienced “
Call dealer, schedule appointment...I go, and of course I cannot replicate the sound that day. The tech said not to worry, if it comes back try to capture it on a video and that should help....
2 days later, got it!!! Called the service guy, and he asked me to send the video over.
He received it, and wrote back:
“Got the video, service manager recommended you leave your Jeep here for a couple of days, to see if we can identify the issue...(here it comes)...”Beware that if there is no manufacturer defect and it turns out to be something that came loose during the recent work you had done, or that the other shop forgot to replace or broke something then the diagnosis will be out of your pocket....” WTF!! Look at the damn timeline dates....
Anyway, I thought I might as well post my recording here and see if any of you guys can identify the issue...
Thanks for allowing me to vent!
COVID Fever has me ready to snap..

UPDATE: August 14th 2020

So I ended up taking my Wrangler back to Acton Jeep on Wednesday August 12th, and spoke to the service manager, who graciously assigned me a technician to go out on a drive with, As we drove around the surrounding streets of Acton MA, we finally heard the damn sound again. We pulled over and I let Steve drive the Jeep.

Went back to the dealer, he confirmed the sound, and we scheduled for Thursday the 13th to have it dropped off. They worked on it all day yesterday, and pulled the dash apart trying to locate the lose screw. Steve had the insight to use a camera and feed it into the sub frame of the Jeep...and there is was. A torque screw rolling around in the subframe. A magnet on a cable and 494 days of driving me crazy was over...under warranty!!!
Rock on Acton Jeep!!!

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bluepencil99

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
((Crickets))

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
((Crickets))
Pop off the kick panel under steering wheel. There is a metal bracket that runs across. It sounds to me there is a small nut or washer sliding back and forth in the channel of that bracket. Best guess man. Sorry

OP
OP
Bluepencil99

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
Pop off the kick panel under steering wheel. There is a metal bracket that runs across. It sounds to me there is a small nut or washer sliding back and forth in the channel of that bracket. Best guess man. Sorry
Is there much involved in popping it off??

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Easy. Watch this video. Go to about 1:22 will show pulling it off. Continue watching and you will see the braces I’m referencing. Slide you hand around (Be careful - could be sharp on edges) on theM to see if anything laying in there like a small washer/nut. Like I said earlier - shooting in the dark man. Good luck.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
The main reason I think it is something sliding around is in your video you appear to be moving wheel back and forth to make the sound.

OP
OP
Bluepencil99

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
The main reason I think it is something sliding around is in your video you appear to be moving wheel back and forth to make the sound.
It used to do it all the time...sometimes coming around a corner, and sometimes by accelerating from a stop, and also braking...now it’s less consistent, maybe as a result of the Dynatrac EnduroSport lift kit being more stable. I’ll snoop around to see if I see something...thanks!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
OP
OP
Bluepencil99

Bluepencil99

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Audi A3, 19 JLUR
Occupation
Visual stimulation.
you do that. :giggle:
By that I mean I will have my mechanic friend check it out....I aint doing shit back there!!!:like:
Sponsored