Plasti dipping Sahara silver accents

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
I had mine professionally painted to match the Rubicon. Hated the silver.
Did the shop use a "graphite" color on the inserts? It looks like there's a subtle color difference but I can't tell for sure from the pics. I too wanted to match the Rubi inserts, or do a matte black.

Eman422

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Overland, Wrangler Jk
Did the shop use a "graphite" color on the inserts? It looks like there's a subtle color difference but I can't tell for sure from the pics. I too wanted to match the Rubi inserts, or do a matte black.
There is a slight difference- it’s a little more flat- it’s the exact same color as the Rubicon, we were able to pull the paint code off the replacement inserts that come unpainted

Fib3r0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
once you get the grill off, how hard is it to remove the silver inserts?

Sponsored

Fib3r0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
I am doing mine as well. The grill pieces are pretty straight forward. Remove the grill and lay on work bench face down preferably on a towel or something similar to prevent scratching. Then there are screws and clips that need to come off to remove plastic black mesh and then the inserts that are silver. As for the bumper pieces they pop out from front except for one screw towards the outside of bumper, I already broke one but don’t think it will be a big deal. If you pull rear cover back that’s on back side of bumper you can get to the screw. I am using the Dupli Color trim and bumper paint in grey. It’s a little darker than the Rubicon grey but my Sahara is black so I think it will look good.

Thanks for mini how to, take pictures of the process if you can. Mine jeep is white, so I am going to go with SEM Trim Paint (black).

Keeganbegley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
I have a Sahara with the silver inserts. It seems everyone is dipping or painting theirs. Is it possible to simply remove them or is what is left underneath not painted? I would like to remove the grill inserts and then shoot the bumper black to match off possible. Thx

Ajn13

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have a Sahara with the silver inserts. It seems everyone is dipping or painting theirs. Is it possible to simply remove them or is what is left underneath not painted? I would like to remove the grill inserts and then shoot the bumper black to match off possible. Thx
I’m wondering the same. My Sahara will be firecracker red and I don’t care for the silver trim. Is there paint under there if I remove the trim? Not sure if I’d want the trip painted black like the mesh or if it would look better red. I guess I’ll have a better idea of what to do when I get it...but it would help to know if it’s gonna be red already under that silver.

Fib3r0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
I’m wondering the same. My Sahara will be firecracker red and I don’t care for the silver trim. Is there paint under there if I remove the trim? Not sure if I’d want the trip painted black like the mesh or if it would look better red. I guess I’ll have a better idea of what to do when I get it...but it would help to know if it’s gonna be red already under that silver.
I haven't taken mine apart yet, but the silver parts can be removed and vinyl wrapped or painted. I wouldn't color match the silver parts to the body color, otherwise it will look like a sport and not a Sahara. I'd rather go with the Rubi color or flat black

sdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I had mine professionally painted to match the Rubicon. Hated the silver.

99FE0B1A-B5D6-4C77-8969-7F9BBB9EE6C5.jpeg

CDA87477-AC2D-45A9-861C-8F55979D3C6D.jpeg
What did that run you to have the pieces painted at a shop? Do you happen to have the color formula for the gcm color match? I have access to a paint sprayer and may be able to do a decent job if I got the match right enough.

Sponsored

sdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
What did that run you to have the pieces painted at a shop? Do you happen to have the color formula for the gcm color match? I have access to a paint sprayer and may be able to do a decent job if I got the match right enough.
To follow up on my own question: I found that mopar has cans of touch up paint in factory colors and automotivetouchup.com has matched colors as well.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Plasti-dipping is so easy and forgiving, it’s a great way to see if you like something before going all in with spray paint. I have done wheels, emblems, and also these grill inserts which I really like the look now but the silver is gone. There are tons of videos on YouTube and pages on this forum showing how to do it, in the end I’m very pleased.

A5FDA316-3177-47BC-91CA-FE627DE2B731.jpeg

58E84E4C-6D41-4190-AB40-2D1D2C1C3F08.jpeg

43D78328-99F5-46A4-8C32-5AB825DA48D2.jpeg

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
You do not have to remove the emblems to plastidip them. Mask off a square around them and spray several coats (thicker the better) then just peel away what’s on the paint. It does not damage the finish.
Sponsored