Pine Barrens, NJ

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport - 2D Mojito
Any of you east coasters been or regularly hit the trails at the Pine Barrens in New jersey? Thinking of heading over there but its a hike, so want to make sure its worth it and not closed off with the current COVID situation.
Sponsored

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Any of you east coasters been or regularly hit the trails at the Pine Barrens in New jersey? Thinking of heading over there but its a hike, so want to make sure its worth it and not closed off with the current COVID situation.
WHarton Forest (a.k.a. Pine Barrens) and Batsto are state parks and are open for driving. Beware that the rangers and some of the greenie weird-beards are roaming about looking for off-roaders who are breaking the rules. Fines can be stiff. There's been a bit of a fight between off-roaders and the environmentalists for at least the past 20 years. We seem to have come to a weird equilibrium where certain trails are legal but there are no publicly available trail maps provided at the ranger station. So you should print some maps from google earth and keep them in your glove box. Cell service can be spotty and nav maps are not always updated. Also you will NOT see many or any other vehicles, so remember your Boy Scout motto and be prepared. Also note that the water has a high tannic acid content so you will want to wash the red film off your rig after the trip.

Having gotten the disclosures out of the way, its a good place to go. My wife and I have been going for at least 25 years and she loves it there. Doesn't feel like you are in NJ and between two of the biggest cities in the world. You will find a variety of sand, sugary in some places. You will also find black muddy bogs (up to 2' deep water) crossing some of the roads/trails. Not a place to go rock climbing, more of a splashy wet spot. Check out some videos on youtube and the websites for the state parks. I suggest you start at Atsion and head towards Batsto.

OP
OP
thadude

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport - 2D Mojito
WHarton Forest (a.k.a. Pine Barrens) and Batsto are state parks and are open for driving. Beware that the rangers and some of the greenie weird-beards are roaming about looking for off-roaders who are breaking the rules. Fines can be stiff. There's been a bit of a fight between off-roaders and the environmentalists for at least the past 20 years. We seem to have come to a weird equilibrium where certain trails are legal but there are no publicly available trail maps provided at the ranger station. So you should print some maps from google earth and keep them in your glove box. Cell service can be spotty and nav maps are not always updated. Also you will NOT see many or any other vehicles, so remember your Boy Scout motto and be prepared. Also note that the water has a high tannic acid content so you will want to wash the red film off your rig after the trip.

Having gotten the disclosures out of the way, its a good place to go. My wife and I have been going for at least 25 years and she loves it there. Doesn't feel like you are in NJ and between two of the biggest cities in the world. You will find a variety of sand, sugary in some places. You will also find black muddy bogs (up to 2' deep water) crossing some of the roads/trails. Not a place to go rock climbing, more of a splashy wet spot. Check out some videos on youtube and the websites for the state parks. I suggest you start at Atsion and head towards Batsto.
Thanks so much, this is super helpful. Safe to say I'd be fine with a stock 18 JL Sport then?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Thanks so much, this is super helpful. Safe to say I'd be fine with a stock 18 JL Sport then?
Your stock Sport will scare the shit out of you with its straight from the factory capabilities:like: Go and enjoy yourself:rock:

Last edited:

starzbullies

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Retired
Do a search on pine barrens off roading on youtube. That will give you an idea as to what it's like.

Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
word of warning... don't drive through the water holes / puddles on the trails unless your are familiar with the bottom or check depth first. some folks like to go in the water with monster tires and spin their wheels levaing two deep tire ruts behind. which you can't see through the muddy water. if these are deep enough you can high center a stock jeep. simple rule, if there is a bypass around a puddle in the trail, it's probably there for a reason. I've pulled a number of stuck Jeeps / trucks out of there in the past year.

second word of warning, there are little state forest signs on many of the trees. most of them just have rules and regs, however, in some places they say "no motor vehicles". if you don't read them, they all look the same. don't drive past the no motor vehicle signs, I've seen the police hand out tickets for that many times.

otherwise completely safe, the locals are nice, very quiet place, enjoy yourself.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
...Beware that the rangers and some of the greenie weird-beards are roaming about looking for off-roaders who are breaking the rules.
what's a greenie weird-beard? I mean, I assume that's an eco-terrorist that thinks they are the only ones who belong in the forest? and they wander around in there and look for offenders? I've spent a lot of time in there over the past year and never noticed anyone like that.

I do occasionally wander down some of the small / low traffic trails that have well worn tracks but may or may not be official trails. as far as I know, the issue of approved trails is not resolved? there was a push in Trenton some months back to only allow ORVs on trails recognized on certain park maps (from the 90s), but lots of people showed up to the hearing and it was put on hold. I have noticed that google maps has some named trails that my car nav does not, and vice versa, so i don't think either is an authority.

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
what's a greenie weird-beard? I mean, I assume that's an eco-terrorist that thinks they are the only ones who belong in the forest? and they wander around in there and look for offenders? I've spent a lot of time in there over the past year and never noticed anyone like that.

I do occasionally wander down some of the small / low traffic trails that have well worn tracks but may or may not be official trails. as far as I know, the issue of approved trails is not resolved? there was a push in Trenton some months back to only allow ORVs on trails recognized on certain park maps (from the 90s), but lots of people showed up to the hearing and it was put on hold. I have noticed that google maps has some named trails that my car nav does not, and vice versa, so i don't think either is an authority.
Hey HoundDude, I was being a bit facetious, but you got my meaning. I've had some old hippies yell at me even though I was driving legal roads/trails. Like I said before, there is weird vagueness to the whole situation. There are definitely some yahoos who tear the place up, but most people appreciate nature and act responsibly.

Your warnings about the mud puddles are right on; I go around if I can-- especially when wheeling alone.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Hey HoundDude, I was being a bit facetious, but you got my meaning. I've had some old hippies yell at me even though I was driving legal roads/trails. Like I said before, there is weird vagueness to the whole situation. There are definitely some yahoos who tear the place up, but most people appreciate nature and act responsibly.

Your warnings about the mud puddles are right on; I go around if I can-- especially when wheeling alone.
ok, thanks for the clarification! I'm always very courteous when I see anyone on foot... I stop until there is room to pass, always wave, say hi, etc.. most people are cool and enjoying the outdoors, but every now and then I'll get that look like I don't belong. that's when it's most important to slow down and be courteous.

I rode a mountain bike on multi-use trails in the woods for years, mostly down in maryland. it's the same idea... I was always very cautious and courteous around hikers and horse back riders. all activities have merit and I think the best thing I can do to preserve access going forward is to avoid a conflict with anyone else doing their own thing.

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Anxious to try this. My daughter wants to go in her stock 2010 JK 2dr. Should I worry?

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Anxious to try this. My daughter wants to go in her stock 2010 JK 2dr. Should I worry?
I wouldn't worry if you prepare your daughter.
If she has never driven off road, then she should not go alone, another vehicle and experienced driver would make the trip much better for all. If she is experienced off-road and can handle unforeseen situations/repairs/navigating then I would make sure her jeep is outfitted with the right gear (winch or tow straps, spare tire, map, compass, tool kit, first aid kit, telescoping pole, etc) and has a cool-headed friend in the passenger seat.
Every vehicle has limits and her stock 2010 will be fine as long as she understands and respects its limits. Some of the roads are just wider sand roads and can be a great learning experience. Other trails are narrow, cross dry sand pits and traverse muddy water-filled holes. each trail situation needs to be assessed in real-time and the appropriate driver actions taken to successfully proceed. As another member stated earlier in this post, the mud holes are the most risky for getting stuck.

My daughters are 20 & 17. I have not let either of them go on a single-vehicle trip to the Pine Barrens until they have successfully gone on at least one 2+ vehicle convoy. I told them that the trip is meant to be fun, so forethought, planning, and good companions are good insurance that things stay fun.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't worry if you prepare your daughter.
If she has never driven off road, then she should not go alone, another vehicle and experienced driver would make the trip much better for all. If she is experienced off-road and can handle unforeseen situations/repairs/navigating then I would make sure her jeep is outfitted with the right gear (winch or tow straps, spare tire, map, compass, tool kit, first aid kit, telescoping pole, etc) and has a cool-headed friend in the passenger seat.
Every vehicle has limits and her stock 2010 will be fine as long as she understands and respects its limits. Some of the roads are just wider sand roads and can be a great learning experience. Other trails are narrow, cross dry sand pits and traverse muddy water-filled holes. each trail situation needs to be assessed in real-time and the appropriate driver actions taken to successfully proceed. As another member stated earlier in this post, the mud holes are the most risky for getting stuck.

My daughters are 20 & 17. I have not let either of them go on a single-vehicle trip to the Pine Barrens until they have successfully gone on at least one 2+ vehicle convoy. I told them that the trip is meant to be fun, so forethought, planning, and good companions are good insurance that things stay fun.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. My daughter is 26 but never off road and I have limites experience myself. The mudholes spook me most. Had some fun with those dualsport dirtbiking down there. Any tricks to telling how deep they are? Do you wear waders down there and walk in with the extension pole? Thanks!

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Thanks for the thoughtful response. My daughter is 26 but never off road and I have limites experience myself. The mudholes spook me most. Had some fun with those dualsport dirtbiking down there. Any tricks to telling how deep they are? Do you wear waders down there and walk in with the extension pole? Thanks!
I use a pole to gauge the depth and try to keep two wheels near an edge in shallower water. In some cases I go around the hole (if there is a trail) and occasionally I turn around. Rubber boots would be very helpful.

That being said, it all depends on how much rain we've had before the trip.
Sponsored