Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Here's a quick an easy performance mod for your JL.

Pedal Commander for your Jeep

POSTED ONOCTOBER 16, 2018
Tech-Tim-3-150x150.jpg
AuthorTim Lund
PC07_2-800x500.jpg

Taking Charge with the Pedal Commander

Ever since the Jeep has gone to drive-by-wire electronic pedals, they have always felt a little laggy. Sure the aerodynamics of a brick and big heavy tires play a part, but they just feel a little unresponsive. Even the new 8 speed automatic (850RE Torqueflite) makes a huge difference in JL drivability over the older 5G-Tronic auto found in the JK. But the new JL still feels a bit laggy when mashing the throttle….mash it and it will go… at some point in time.

Enter the Pedal Commander Throttle Response Controller. Available for both the JK and the JL, the Pedal Commander Throttle Response Controller is the fix for the laggy pedal feel. The installation is simple and it is easy to tune for the pedal to throttle feel you want.

The Pedal Commander has 4 different control modes: Eco, City, Sport and Sport+. It also offers 8 sensitivity setting for each control modes. Once you’ve selected a mode, you can then adjust for higher or lower sensitivity to dial it in to suit your driving style.

What do you need:

JK: PEDPC31 – Jeep JK Pedal Commander 2007-2018

JL: PEDPC07 – Jeep JL Pedal Commander 2018+

What’s in the Box:
PC07_1.jpg

PC07_2.jpg

Tools Needed to install:
You really don’t need any tools to install this, though a small screwdriver makes it easier.

Ease of Installation:
This is another one of those super easy installs. So easy we give this about a 1/4 wrench on the 1-5 wrench scale.

The How-To:
This was a super easy one to install, but real tough to get good pics while doing it!

First step is to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but it sure helps to eliminate the possibility of something electrical going wrong.

RemovePanel.jpg

We then removed the dash panel directly below the steering column. Start at one corner and slowly start pulling the panel, the OE clips will pop out and you can work you way around the panel until it comes loose.

plug-on1.jpg

Move under the dash and unplug the Factory plug from the accelerator pedal. The reddish colored lock (red arrow) needs to be pulled out before you can lift the plug off the accelerator pedal assembly. You can typically do it with your fingers, but if you can’t, use the edge of the small flat bladed screwdriver to help get it started.

Unplug.jpg

Once the lock is slid all the way out, wiggle the harness plug up and off the pedal assembly.

PC-Harness.jpg
The Pedal Commander harness is a plug and play harness that tees into your OE harness at the accelerator pedal. One side of the tee plugs into your OE harness and the other side plugs onto the accelerator pedal assembly.

Plug-In1-1.jpg

Plug in the body side harness plug and push in the lock to secure the harness.

Push-in-2.jpg

Slide the other plug onto the accelerator pedal assembly and push the lock tab in to lock the plug in place.

Routing-wiring.jpg

We routed the Pedal Commander up over the lower dash assembly.

Panel-in.jpg

We then snapped the lower panel back into place.

Peel-decal.jpg

Snap the holding bracket onto the back of the Pedal Commander Control unit and stick on the adhesive Velcro pad. Peel off the protector on the opposite side…

in-place-2.jpg

Then press and hold the Pedal Commander against the panel for a full minute to adhere the sticky backed Velcro pad.

**For best adhesion, clean the panel with the supplied clean-wipe to remove any oils or grease.

Time to test out the Pedal Commander:
Push-Buttons.jpg
Reconnect the negative terminal on the battery and start the vehicle.

• The Pedal Commander should light up and you can navigate through the commands by pushing the buttons on the front of the panel.
    • Press the yellow star to move from Eco to City to Sport to Sport+.
    • To adjust between the settings, press the + and – buttons. So if the Sport setting is too much, just hit the minus button a few times to scale it back.
The City setting feels pretty much the same as the Jeep does without it. So we started out with the Pedal Commander is Sport mode and took it for a drive. It made a huge difference! When you hit the throttle, it feels like you have an extra 50hp on tap. BUT…you didn’t add any extra power, you just removed the delay the drive-by-wire throttle pedal assembly has, making the computer add fuel to the engine sooner.

We installed the Pedal Commander in our Malo’s 2018 JLU Rubicon, he’s now had a week to drive it and this is what he says:

My first impressions of this was, “WOW!” You instantly can feel the difference. Obviously, the first thing I did was turned it up to the highest sensitivity possible, Sport + mode. This makes the gas pedal super sensitive. You barely have to touch it and it goes. I don’t recommend this mode for city driving as you’ll probably hurt your neck from whiplash. I dialed it back to Sport mode and while the gas pedal wasn’t as sensitive, it still took some getting used to. Again, not recommended for city driving.
The City mode was basically stock. Well, at least that’s what it felt like especially after being the two Sport modes for a while. While the stock mode is ok, I found the sweet spot to be right between City and Sport mode. This felt the most responsive while still being able to control.
I’m sure after a few weeks of getting used to it, anyone could be able to increase the sensitivity and drive normally.
The Pedal Commander is a great way to remove some the the lag in the gas pedal. If you’re not a fan of how the stock JL gas pedal performs, get a Pedal Commander. You won’t be disappointed.
– Malo Castro - Marketing Director, Northridge4x4.
Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I actually find the pedal way too sensitive and too light of a spring. I think the engineers designed it for people in high heels and flip flops. Wearing boots there is virtually no feed back through your toes.

I know the Pedal Commander will not help with the pedal spring tension, but can it be adjusted to be less sensitive than stock instead of more aggressive? I can't believe anyone would want it more responsive, it takes very little movement of the pedal to get moving. It really is an issue when off roading especially in technical sections when your trying to be very light on the pedal but it's so sensitive that it will take off with the slightest movement.

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Yes, you can set it lower.

Bump it to "City" and then start hitting the - button to scale it back.

If that's not low enough, set the main mode to "Eco" and adjust from there.

dugal

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 1974 BMW R90/6
Occupation
Retired, the best job I ever had.
I had the Pedal Commander on my 2018 JK and it really helped with responsiveness. I thought I was going to need it on my JL but the 8-speed is very responsive and shifting is smooth. Yes, there's a lot of shifting on hilly roads. I just don't see how PC would help.

Cheers

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Setting it to sport 2 or 3 makes it as responsive as my TJ and sport plus makes it feel like my challenger rt which was throttle boosted 25%

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
You can buy the Pedal Commander for JL for $247.95 at Northridge4x4. Use forum discount code.. jlwranglerforums

Doubtful, that you will find a cheaper price. CAREFUL buying on Amazon. There are pirated or whatever units being sold there presently for about $199.. Those units should be avoided.... not authorized so no warranty, etc..

Only one to buy from at Amazon is from the actual company "Pedal Commander" that sells on Amazon. They are getting full boat for their units on Amazon... no discount as their authorized vendors are giving. i.e. @Northridge4x4

For another forum thread in regard to the Pedal Commander, go here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/pedal-commander-now-in-stock.16958/

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
You can buy the Pedal Commander for JL for $247.95 at Northridge4x4. Use forum discount code.. jlwranglerforums

Doubtful, that you will find a cheaper price. CAREFUL buying on Amazon. There are pirated or whatever units being sold there presently for about $199.. Those units should be avoided.... not authorized so no warranty, etc..

Only one to buy from at Amazon is from the actual company "Pedal Commander" that sells on Amazon. They are getting full boat for their units on Amazon... no discount as their authorized vendors are giving. i.e. @Northridge4x4

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/pedal-commander-now-in-stock.16958/
Tempted, but I just dropped $250 on CMM mirrors! (Crazy expensive for mirrors, but I’ve already wasted money returning two cheaper options, including the Coyotes that people seem to like.)

Bookmarking this thread for the future, though.

Last edited:

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon

Just tried this, and it came up as $269.99.

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Pedal Commanders were on sale a while back, now back to the standard discount.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)