Paint protection?

rogerutley

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Any idea what I can except dealer to offer at time of purchases?..such as paint protections, extended warranty , ballpark price?..and thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on the quality of the dealer. Shady dealers etch your vin into glass, put in third brake light pulsers, undercoat, paint protection, interior protectant and more trying to make you pay for it - all worthless so don't pay it.
Extended warranty may be of value to you if you plan on keeping it for a long period but don't just buy what they have, research cost and coverage options before you buy if you want one.

breakerbaker

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.0 JLU Sport S, 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650, 2003 100th Anniversary Harley-Davidson Softtail
Occupation
Navy Doc
I’m currently stationed overseas and my dealer is Military Auto Source (MAS). They offered extended warranty, paint, and rust protection that I opted into. MAS is known for excellent customer service, I researched their protection plans and it was well worth it IMO.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There isn't much to rust in the JL, most panels are aluminum.

breakerbaker

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.0 JLU Sport S, 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650, 2003 100th Anniversary Harley-Davidson Softtail
Occupation
Navy Doc
I live on a small island surrounded by salt water and then I’m moving to the coast in San Diego. I need all the protection I can get

Sponsored

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
This is something I was looking at... my last vehicle purchase sucked me into an electornic rust module... so I should pass on anything rustproofing?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The underbody is still steel but I've seen arguments that undercoating can trap moisture and cause rust. Rust protection on cars has come a long way.
Big problem now is aluminum corrosion. When many shops do rust protection they drill through panels to spray inside. That won't help on aluminum and will break the corrosion barrier on the aluminum panels allowing the aluminum to corrode, not rust.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Forget about magic wax and ceramic coatings. The only paint protection worth considering is Paint Protection Film. PPF works and it works well. Make sure you get a good installer that uses premium film. Call and price out what Xpel would cost at a outside installer for a benchmark price. A good start is to call some high end sports car dealerships. Ask them who they use for PPF in your area.

Shop Extended Warranties and get prices before you go into the business office if you want one.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/extended-warranties-lets-discuss.55388/#post-1201830

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Forget about magic wax and ceramic coatings. The only paint protection worth considering is Paint Protection Film. PPF works and it works well. Make sure you get a good installer that uses premium film. Call and price out what Xpel would cost at a outside installer for a benchmark price. A good start is to call some high end sports car dealerships. Ask them who they use for PPF in your area.

Shop Extended Warranties and get prices before you go into the business office if you want one.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/extended-warranties-lets-discuss.55388/#post-1201830
Agreed.

Any "paint protection" that isn't PPF is pure snake oil...and I say this as someone who just spent 8 hours doing a wash -> clay -> light cut -> polish -> decon -> ceramic coat (Cquartz).

The ceramic provides a great base for other products which will add depth and shine. The ceramic will also last about a year with ONR washes and touch ups with a spray, but it isn't "protection" from much at all, nor is any wax or sealant.

Only PPF can protect from rock strikes, scratches, or chemicals in the long term, although good sealants will slow down the time it takes them to etch.

Additionally, none of them do anything for the non exterior panels of the car.
Sponsored