Overnight Dew

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Looking for some advice. It’s in the 80s for the next couple days. I don’t have a garage to store the jeep yet but I’d like to keep the top off for the next couple days. I’m not worried about theft or vandalism as much as I’m worried about any issues with late night/early morning moisture. I have bartact seat covers on the front, nothing on the rear. Should I avoid leaving it out or get a tarp or not worry about it?
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I just lay towels in my seats overnight, then toss them out when I'm ready to go. They absorb what little water settles on the seats.

OP
OP
schneidvegas

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
That sounds smart. Does the cloth/carpet areas smell at all from leaving it out with the top off?

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I’ve been doing this all week. The moisture on the seats gets cooked off when the sun comes up

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I just lay towels in my seats overnight, then toss them out when I'm ready to go. They absorb what little water settles on the seats.
Yup - a towel is all you need. Any moisture on the carpet/dash will dry out quickly in he sun.

Before I started carrying a towel in my Jeep, my butt would get wet if I drove before about 9am - no bueno.

OP
OP
schneidvegas

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Yup - a towel is all you need. Any moisture on the carpet/dash will dry out quickly in he sun.

Before I started carrying a towel in my Jeep, my butt would get wet if I drove before about 9am - no bueno.
Damn. I need to get up and put a towel in the seat then!

albatross

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 1993 YJ
I wouldnt worry about the rain. I sometimes cover my YJ seats with a towel to help keep my seats from getting soaked. Or, if I forget to use the towel at night, I place a dry towel between my butt and the seat so my pants dont get wet when driving the next morning. Either way, once the sun comes out, the seats tend to dry pretty quickly.

Now, here's a random story. I once drove to a bar and ended up drinking more than the one beer I had planned on. I took a cab home (Uber wasnt a huge thing then) and walked back to the bar the next morning to retrieve my YJ. When I got to the bar, I noticed a weird stain in my passenger seat....like the size of a nickel. The next day, I returned to the bar to watch a game and I mentioned the stain to the bartender. He said it was pretty common for squirrels in the area to piss in vehicles when the windows were down (or doors were off in my case).

What's my point? You probably dont need to worry about rain......just those damn pissing squirrels, lol.

Sponsored

PaK1605

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
UPS driver
The interior of jeeps are weather sealed for cleaning out and rain... All electronics are fine

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I wouldnt worry about the rain. I sometimes cover my YJ seats with a towel to help keep my seats from getting soaked. Or, if I forget to use the towel at night, I place a dry towel between my butt and the seat so my pants dont get wet when driving the next morning. Either way, once the sun comes out, the seats tend to dry pretty quickly.

Now, here's a random story. I once drove to a bar and ended up drinking more than the one beer I had planned on. I took a cab home (Uber wasnt a huge thing then) and walked back to the bar the next morning to retrieve my YJ. When I got to the bar, I noticed a weird stain in my passenger seat....like the size of a nickel. The next day, I returned to the bar to watch a game and I mentioned the stain to the bartender. He said it was pretty common for squirrels in the area to piss in vehicles when the windows were down (or doors were off in my case).

What's my point? You probably dont need to worry about rain......just those damn pissing squirrels, lol.
OMG - one more reason for @LydiaSP613 to fear squirrels...

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I have Bartact seat covers, which in addition to making the seats more weatherproof include a big zipper pouch where I keep trash bags. When my seat gets wet during/after a rainstorm, I just throw a trash bag over my seat, problem solved.

I also use the trash bags to protect my steering wheel when parked in a heavy rain. The clock spring can get rusty over time and cause problems.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Vaguely related: don't leave smelly food in a soft top Jeep overnight.

That's how I ended up with new soft top fabric: the local raccoons got a bit too interested in the french fries I forgot to throw away.

So, beware squirrels and raccoons. And cats love to leave muddy paw prints too. Owners who let their cats outside should spend a night in jail. Mass murdering psychopaths (the cats, not—necessarily—the owners).
Sponsored