Sponsored

Ordering a rubi with non e torque 3.6 and auto trans issues.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
There something to be said about keeping things simple - naturally aspirated V6 in this platform!

I agree 100%. "keep it simple, stupid" means a lot, but between having ESS on my 19 or Etorque. I would take the Etorque 100% of the time. I do use ESS all the time. I never shut it off. Maybe working at a dealership sways me a little more seeing what comes in and out of service more. We do not order the 2.0 engine unless it's a sold order. V6, diesel, or nothing.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Yes but ESS can be EASILY defeated if you want it really simple....

I NEVER use it.
Well the thing is I don't want it turned off. But I also don't think getting two new batteries is going to be worth the extra half MPG either when my current batteries are still good.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well the thing is I don't want it turned off. But I also don't think getting two new batteries is going to be worth the extra half MPG either when my current batteries are still good.
So etorque MAY be better IF you want to continuously use the ESS system, but still, wait until something goes out in it when YOU will be responsible for $$ outside of warranty.

At least ESS on '18 & '19 has a NORMAL alternator and heavy duty traditional starter.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
giphy (12).gif

Haven't seen you around in a while!
We have a 392 ordered, so I have been stopping by for tracking and general info. No ESS, no E-Torque, problem solved!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So etorque MAY be better IF you want to continuously use the ESS system, but still, wait until something goes out in it when YOU will be responsible for $$ outside of warranty.

At least ESS on '18 & '19 has a NORMAL alternator and heavy duty traditional starter.
Well I had my batteries replaced under warranty about a year and a half ago and six months later, after I was out of warranty, I was back in the same situation with the batteries. Continuously replacing them on my own dollar just to keep the ESS working is not good economics. I guess its fine for anyone that doesn't intend to use start stop though. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We have a 392 ordered, so I have been stopping by for tracking and general info. No ESS, no E-Torque, problem solved!
You'll have those pesky back doors though... :CWL:

Good to see you're still hanging in there.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
eTorque:
* Eliminates the ridiculous mismatched batteries.
* Does auto-start/stop the right way (almost imperceptible).
* Rotates the tires a half-turn when you start moving, reducing stress and load on the drivetrain.
* Smooths out shifts in the transmission, reducing stress and load on the transmission.
* Has an 8 year/80k warranty on the eTorque bits.

People who own it like it. Dealers don’t report a lot of problems with it. Would I rather have a Jeep without it? Sure, if I can also get one without the ESS system. But eTorque is a fully engineered system with many subtle benefits, unlike the ESS stop-gap.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
eTorque:
* Rotates the tires a half-turn when you start moving, reducing stress and load on the drivetrain.
* Smooths out shifts in the transmission, reducing stress and load on the transmission.

People who own it like it. Dealers don’t report a lot of problems with it. Would I rather have a Jeep without it? Sure, if I can also get one without the ESS system. But it’s a fully engineered system with many subtle benefits, unlike the ESS stop-gap.
I'm with you on this. Also, I think the 392 Wrangler is going to be junk. Hate the full time 4WD on them. They did that cause the driveline can't handle the power to just the rear. In my opinion they crammed a V8 in a Wrangler and didn't do much else to make it better.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
eTorque:

People who own it like it. Dealers don’t report a lot of problems with it. Would I rather have a Jeep without it? Sure, if I can also get one without the ESS system. But it’s a fully engineered system with many subtle benefits, unlike the ESS stop-gap.
I think it would be a good Idea for the option to order one without ESS, like how Ram has the option for a 5.7 without ETorque. Keep the dealers stocked with ETorque models to keep the Feds happy but at least have the option for the people that are just hardcore against it. Apparently Chevy and GMC are making it optional on their pickups now as well.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it would be a good Idea for the option to order one without ESS, like how Ram has the option for a 5.7 without ETorque. Keep the dealers stocked with ETorque models to keep the Feds happy but at least have the option for the people that are just hardcore against it. Apparently Chevy and GMC are making it optional on their pickups now as well.
For 22 GMC is making the Diesel standard on the AT4's, and the 6.2 optional. Supposedly no 5.3 available not he AT4 in 22. They say because the 5.3 doesn't have as good of emissions. I think they have have a warehouse full of Diesel engines cause nobody orders them and that's the best way to get rid of them. Make them standard in there best selling truck.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For 22 GMC is making the Diesel standard on the AT4's, and the 6.2 optional. Supposedly no 5.3 available not he AT4 in 22. They say because the 5.3 doesn't have as good of emissions. I think they have have a warehouse full of Diesel engines cause nobody orders them and that's the best way to get rid of them. Make them standard in there best selling truck.
I was clicking around the GMC Build and Price the other day. Interestingly enough on the 1500 Denali when I clicked on the "Not Equipped with Start/Stop" option, it forced an engine downgrade from the 6.2 to 5.3 liter.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was clicking around the GMC Build and Price the other day. Interestingly enough on the 1500 Denali when I clicked on the "Not Equipped with Start/Stop" option, it forced an engine downgrade from the 6.2 to 5.3 liter.
Because of the chip shortage they are sending out a lot of trucks without start/stop, HD radio and a few other things. They give you a $50 credit on the price if they come without that those options.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Because of the chip shortage they are sending out a lot of trucks without start/stop, HD radio and a few other things. They give you a $50 credit on the price if they come without that those options.
I knew they were shipping trucks without that because of the chip shortage, but it looks like they might be keeping it as an option if they've changed their Build and Price because of it. Just a guess though.

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
The wedsite defaults to e-torque but you can order one without. Just make sure dealer knows. Mine arrives this week Non e-torque.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I had the same thought process as you. I had the 3.6 in my JKU and wanted it again. Once I saw the eTorque system, I backtracked a bit. Test drove a 2.0T and it wasn't for me. Ordered the 3.6 auto and had to get the eTorque. Now I don't mind it at all. This 3.6 with eTorque feels much better than in my JKU. Sure the transmission is different, but it it is a joy to drive. The 8 year warranty is a nice thing for the time being to keep me from worrying about it. Honestly, all the other electronics could fail before the eTorque system. The other thing that I found reassuring, is the use of the system in the RAM.

Not trying to persuade you that the eTorque on the 3.6 is amazing or something, but if you want a 3.6 auto JL, you have to get it. I keep my Jeeps past warranty and I am not going to lose sleep over it. Enjoy the new Jeep!
Sponsored