First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
So. Dilemma. Do you think it would be possible to order a jeep that is technically a rubicon 2 door, but has the islander stying? The seats, dash interior ect? I want the beefy rubicon, steel bumpers, tires ect but I love the islander funkiness of the seats ect. I tried building an islander but the options arent even available for the rear end, bumpers, ect. Also... does anyone know if gecko green is returning? And I have a half door question... are they like the old half doors (soft top zip windows) and will they be an option with all the paint colors, not just black?
Thanks. I have 390 days to find a vehicle so the countdown is on! Smiles!

(I know, i could simply bug nsb jeep with my question but i figured if i cant order what i want, you fellow jeepers would point me to the correct path for creating my next jeep!)
Sponsored

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's possible but not plausible.

I would be extremely surprised if your Jeep dealer could amalgamate the Rubicon and the Islander (Rublander? Islandicon?). For optimal production efficiency, there is a bare minimum of model specification that makes cross-styling very difficult: i.e. not within their financial and marketing guardrails.

If that is indeed the case, you would need to figure out which makes more financial sense for you: buy a Rubicon and convert it to an Islander or vice versa. From an interior styling view, it appears that the Islander simply has a different color dash and different style cloth seats; everything else appears the same on the inside. If you went the Rubicon route, you could look at the Islander build sheet and ask your dealer about purchasing the Islander seats separately. You could then remove the dash and have it painted any color you want. That would get you everything Rubicon minus the red dash and plain black seats. However, base model difference is over $4000 plus the cost of seats if attainable but you could sell your rubicon seats to help offset the cost.

If you go the Islander route, you'd need to buy new/used steel bumpers and 33" tires. You'd also need to think about how you want to use the Jeep because you'll be adding quite a bit of weight on the 3.45 gear ratio. Not saying it wouldn't be drivable but it may not fit how you want to use it in which case you may consider a small lift, beefier suspension, new gear ratio, etc. That said, the plus side of this route is that it would allow you to get the white hard top offered on the Islander and allow you to modify to your needs versus paying the Mopar up-charge that is spec'd on the Rubicon.

It sounds like you have some time which is the best position to be in when searching for a new vehicle. I haven't read or heard of any new colors other than the 2021 model list but Jeep is notorious for switching up the color pallets between model years. It could certainly be something introduced in late 2021 early 2022, but you may want to have a solid second color choice in case it doesn't come back when you're ready to purchase.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
The Rubicon is a fantastic bargain IF you want a loaded vehicle with those specific hard parts; "Dana 44" axles, 4.10 gears and the 4:1 transfer case. It becomes less of a bargain if your want something slightly different. I know a guy that bought a JK Rubicon strictly to use as a trail rig and ended up replacing the bumpers, axles, and transfer case. He wishes he had started with something cheaper. I've got a 2 door Rubi with dual doors on order, but sometimes wish I had ordered a simpler model and beefed it up as you are thinking.

A couple of questions. What kind of off roading do you plan to do? Will you add a winch? Are factory Rubicon wheels and tires what you want or are you thinking of something different?

Ridgerunner542

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
42 Ford GPW, 12 4Runner, 16 VW Sportwagen
I think your best bet is to buy the islander. You’ll have a lot easier time finding rubicon take offs than you will finding an islander interior.

Your dealer can add the steel bumper package even if it’s installed at the dealer and you can buy wheels and tires. Plenty of people that is one of their first mods, removing factory wheels and tires, and changing out bumpers.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
If you aren't doing any kind of off-roading that requires the Rubicon, and are interested more in the beefy look of the Rubicon I'd say you're much better off just getting the Rubicon parts you like (bumpers, wheels, etc) and putting them on the Islander.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jjirish

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
The Rubicon is a fantastic bargain IF you want a loaded vehicle with those specific hard parts; "Dana 44" axles, 4.10 gears and the 4:1 transfer case. It becomes less of a bargain if your want something slightly different. I know a guy that bought a JK Rubicon strictly to use as a trail rig and ended up replacing the bumpers, axles, and transfer case. He wishes he had started with something cheaper. I've got a 2 door Rubi with dual doors on order, but sometimes wish I had ordered a simpler model and beefed it up as you are thinking.

A couple of questions. What kind of off roading do you plan to do? Will you add a winch? Are factory Rubicon wheels and tires what you want or are you thinking of something different?
In theory I would like to start beginner off roading... trails. But this will be wrangler #8 for me and my off roading experience consists of the beach and cutting traffic over curbs and medians... I have/had rubicons, recons, and saharas so far. In my mind, I just like the dana rear ends ect that I can get on the rubicon. If Im buying a jeep, I want it to atleast be able to do light off road ( or get out of a sticky beach situation ) if I want to. I wont add a winch, I have no reason to. I have gone down the path with lifts and 37s on a 2018 jlu rubi, but the steering ( no matter what I did to help it ) was the reason I traded it in for my 2020 jl, so Im not doing anymore lift kits. My current rubi has the best steering I have ever had! All I want from the islander, is the seats, non red dash ( im so over the red dash ) and islander package of goodies. I dont really want to start a tear down as soon as I get the new jeep and if Im going to be handling the customizing, then I rather start w the rubi and just switch out the seats and dash but I doubt these parts will be available alone. As I said, I have a 2020 jl black rubi, ( I havent even changed out the wheels/tires ) so ordering the exact same thing but with half doors seems pointless. I am getting another jeep bc Im giving my current one to my daughter when she turns 15 and she likes the set up as is...

So I guess...
1. I keep my rubi, do not give it to daughter, and hope to buy islander seats and half doors and dash - then switch them out with my rubicon parts. ( And then buy girlie her own new jeep which will be a black rubi, so maybe I could steal her half doors if possible).
2. Order me a rubi, but still have to switch it all out to an islander

Either way I cant order it exactly as I want from jeep... atleast thats what I'm being told and the islander stuff and half doors arent available for purchase.

Whatever happened to ordering a jeep completely custom, and not being stuck with model limitations????

Thanks for any recommendations!

20210105_100634.jpg

20210105_095814.jpg

OP
OP
Jjirish

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
It's possible but not plausible.

I would be extremely surprised if your Jeep dealer could amalgamate the Rubicon and the Islander (Rublander? Islandicon?). For optimal production efficiency, there is a bare minimum of model specification that makes cross-styling very difficult: i.e. not within their financial and marketing guardrails.

If that is indeed the case, you would need to figure out which makes more financial sense for you: buy a Rubicon and convert it to an Islander or vice versa. From an interior styling view, it appears that the Islander simply has a different color dash and different style cloth seats; everything else appears the same on the inside. If you went the Rubicon route, you could look at the Islander build sheet and ask your dealer about purchasing the Islander seats separately. You could then remove the dash and have it painted any color you want. That would get you everything Rubicon minus the red dash and plain black seats. However, base model difference is over $4000 plus the cost of seats if attainable but you could sell your rubicon seats to help offset the cost.

If you go the Islander route, you'd need to buy new/used steel bumpers and 33" tires. You'd also need to think about how you want to use the Jeep because you'll be adding quite a bit of weight on the 3.45 gear ratio. Not saying it wouldn't be drivable but it may not fit how you want to use it in which case you may consider a small lift, beefier suspension, new gear ratio, etc. That said, the plus side of this route is that it would allow you to get the white hard top offered on the Islander and allow you to modify to your needs versus paying the Mopar up-charge that is spec'd on the Rubicon.

It sounds like you have some time which is the best position to be in when searching for a new vehicle. I haven't read or heard of any new colors other than the 2021 model list but Jeep is notorious for switching up the color pallets between model years. It could certainly be something introduced in late 2021 early 2022, but you may want to have a solid second color choice in case it doesn't come back when you're ready to purchase.
All very helpful points! I only go soft top, lol. But ty for all the info to ponder!

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Fantastic post @Jjirish !

Most people don't understand how capable a Sport Wrangler is off road, you definitely don't need a Rubicon for what you plan to do.

I suggest you order your black 2-door Islander with whatever options you like, plus the following:
Anti-spin rear differential
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical
Islander plus package (gotta' have the Tiki Bob tire cover!)

The anti-spin rear axle will be a big help in the sand and on easy-moderate trails. This is similar in strength to the Rubicon rear axle, but is not as good on hard trails.

The trailer tow package provides an easy upgrade path if you find you need more traction. You can order a set of Rubicon axles and use two of the Aux buttons to control them. Not as seamless as a Rubicon and won't have the swaybar disconnect, but this will future proof your Islander.

If it were my Jeep I would do the following modifications:
1) Get Rubicon size tires (285/70R17), this will help you "float" on the sand. Still need to air down.
2) Keep an eye out for a set of Rubicon springs/shocks from a 2-door soft top. This will make it look "right" but not cause the steering issues you had before.
Sponsored