Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to order my 1st Jeep and I need some help in determining the best configuration. I've read so many of these forums here, and how others have built theirs, and realized maybe I should ask some of you more experienced here for an opinion of what build may suit me best. While, in the end I do realize it's my decision, any input would be greatly appreciated!!
For starters --- currently living in Texas with just moderate hills; but, I am planning on moving to Colorado in two years. While I do want to do some off-roading I do NOT see myself attempting rock climbs or the hard trails where one wrong move and my Jeep is flipped...not quite that adventurous. This will be my DD so I want to keep it drivable. Think the dirt trails, etc. around Colorado. I'm not going to be out on the back trails every weekend, attempting the crazy stuff that ends up on YouTube. haha. Something that I can pull a small camper with in the mountains occasionally, get up and down the mountains comfortably, and still enjoy driving around town.
I really want a manual. (Yes, I've owned one before & loved it---even in Dallas traffic!).Ideally I want something that I can use as a DD, plus for easy-(eventually) med trails.
I cannot determine if the Sahara or the Rubicon would be my best bet.
Here is what I'm thinking I would like:
Manual (Auto can be considered)
Anti-Spin Diff / with the upgraded tires
Selec-Trac (If go Sahara, and Auto --- is it worth it)
Cold Weather Package (Must have --nothing like keeping a warm backside & hands when it's cold outside)
Trailer Tow/Hitch (No current plans to tow, but reading form forums sug. if I ever do plan to/which I do--then I should get)
Dual Top
All weather floor mats - although I read better to order those later so you don't lose the cloth ones too.

Not sure about:
-Electronic Infotainment Group - comes w/ the upgraded speakers --- is this really worth it? (I read somewhere that with the upgrade you do get an extra plug in the back by the subwoofer that can come in handy)
-UConnect 4 C Nav - is this worth it? I heard somewhere that the nav is supposed to have the off-road trails on it? How long to these need updating, etc? Really hate for that to take up more room.
- hard top liner?

I've been perusing the list of dealers recommended giving the best deals, and will definitely reach out to them in a few months when the time comes to order. I want to keep this to the low 40k's, if at all possible (and I know that the discount given by dealers can then effect how much "extras" I can play with and order)-- but I also want to get something I'm going to be happy with as I plan on keeping this until it dies. Yeah, I'm that person that pretty much drives them until they die. I'm sure at some point I'll start adding some mods but that's as I experience my Jeep and determine what is needed for what I want to do.
Sorry this is so long but if you're willing to offer any advice on what may best suit me, with your Jeeping experience, I would really appreciate it!!!
Sponsored

BluegrassGal

Looking to order my 1st Jeep and I need some help in determining the best configuration. I've read so many of these forums here, and how others have built theirs, and realized maybe I should ask some of you more experienced here for an opinion of what build may suit me best. While, in the end I do realize it's my decision, any input would be greatly appreciated!!
For starters --- currently living in Texas with just moderate hills; but, I am planning on moving to Colorado in two years. While I do want to do some off-roading I do NOT see myself attempting rock climbs or the hard trails where one wrong move and my Jeep is flipped...not quite that adventurous. This will be my DD so I want to keep it drivable. Think the dirt trails, etc. around Colorado. I'm not going to be out on the back trails every weekend, attempting the crazy stuff that ends up on YouTube. haha. Something that I can pull a small camper with in the mountains occasionally, get up and down the mountains comfortably, and still enjoy driving around town.
I really want a manual. (Yes, I've owned one before & loved it---even in Dallas traffic!).Ideally I want something that I can use as a DD, plus for easy-(eventually) med trails.
I cannot determine if the Sahara or the Rubicon would be my best bet.
Here is what I'm thinking I would like:
Manual (Auto can be considered)
Anti-Spin Diff / with the upgraded tires
Selec-Trac (If go Sahara, and Auto --- is it worth it)
Cold Weather Package (Must have --nothing like keeping a warm backside & hands when it's cold outside)
Trailer Tow/Hitch (No current plans to tow, but reading form forums sug. if I ever do plan to/which I do--then I should get)
Dual Top
All weather floor mats - although I read better to order those later so you don't lose the cloth ones too.

Not sure about:
-Electronic Infotainment Group - comes w/ the upgraded speakers --- is this really worth it? (I read somewhere that with the upgrade you do get an extra plug in the back by the subwoofer that can come in handy)
-UConnect 4 C Nav - is this worth it? I heard somewhere that the nav is supposed to have the off-road trails on it? How long to these need updating, etc? Really hate for that to take up more room.
- hard top liner?

I've been perusing the list of dealers recommended giving the best deals, and will definitely reach out to them in a few months when the time comes to order. I want to keep this to the low 40k's, if at all possible (and I know that the discount given by dealers can then effect how much "extras" I can play with and order)-- but I also want to get something I'm going to be happy with as I plan on keeping this until it dies. Yeah, I'm that person that pretty much drives them until they die. I'm sure at some point I'll start adding some mods but that's as I experience my Jeep and determine what is needed for what I want to do.
Sorry this is so long but if you're willing to offer any advice on what may best suit me, with your Jeeping experience, I would really appreciate it!!!
My 2 cents- We took delivery of 6 speed Rubi w Nav and every time I drive it, Iā€™m so damn glad I didnā€™t skip on Nav/Alpine. Worth every penny. Manual is so much fun to drive. Got tow as well. Get it. We chose leather with cold weather pkg. Donā€™t regret that money either. My advice, Rubi or nothing. Our cost was 44,500 before tax n license. If you really keep em till they, donā€™t be cheap n regret it for years.

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
The Wrangler will be our 3rd car, so just looking for a Rubicon with a couple of options.

But if it was my daily driver, I'd go Rubicon with as many options as I could afford.

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Not sure about:
Definitely go with the Alpine upgrade. I did not and I am way regretting it. HUGE difference.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So is it basically Manual Rubicon vs Automatic Selec-Trac Sahara? Personally I went with the Sahara for the more fuel efficient 3.45 gear ratio vs Rubiconā€™s 4.10 because I knew I wouldnā€™t be doing rock crawling. Also even I was tempted by the manual even though I had never daily driven one. It looks like itā€™ll be a great one! Iā€™d say go Sahara Manual but I canā€™t remember if you can get Anti-spin Diff without Selec-Trac.

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I think a Sahara is what would fit your needs the best, my opinion. Also, alpine upgrade is really worth it, so get the infotainment package, the bigger screen is awesome too. Hard top liners? I don't think they are really needed.

OP
OP
beachbumm78

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely go with the Alpine upgrade. I did not and I am way regretting it. HUGE difference.
So good to know! I've been back and forth on this, and since I always listen to music when I drive I don't want to regret not getting it if it's a huge diff. Thanks!

OP
OP
beachbumm78

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So is it basically Manual Rubicon vs Automatic Selec-Trac Sahara? Personally I went with the Sahara for the more fuel efficient 3.45 gear ratio vs Rubiconā€™s 4.10 because I knew I wouldnā€™t be doing rock crawling. Also even I was tempted by the manual even though I had never daily driven one. It looks like itā€™ll be a great one! Iā€™d say go Sahara Manual but I canā€™t remember if you can get Anti-spin Diff without Selec-Trac.
Yes-- that's it in a nutshell. And I believe you can get the anit-spin diff w/out selec-Trac. Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
beachbumm78

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 cents- We took delivery of 6 speed Rubi w Nav and every time I drive it, Iā€™m so damn glad I didnā€™t skip on Nav/Alpine. Worth every penny. Manual is so much fun to drive. Got tow as well. Get it. We chose leather with cold weather pkg. Donā€™t regret that money either. My advice, Rubi or nothing. Our cost was 44,500 before tax n license. If you really keep em till they, donā€™t be cheap n regret it for years.
Great to know--- thanks! I agree, I love driving a manual. And the plus side so few now know how to drive one it does make it less likely to be stolen (haha). I definitely want to add tow as I do have plans to later tow a small little camper up the mountains. I really do like the Rubi's but I'm struggling w/ the inside colors of the dash -- I don't want a red dash, nor do I like the name tattooed across 1/4 of the hood. I'll have to do some looking and see how I can get around that (maybe a body wrap). And great advice--hopefully I could get out the door with around your pricing--by the time I add what I like i'm looking at 50k. haha. Thanks!!

OP
OP
beachbumm78

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think a Sahara is what would fit your needs the best, my opinion. Also, alpine upgrade is really worth it, so get the infotainment package, the bigger screen is awesome too. Hard top liners? I don't think they are really needed.
Thanks for the info. That's what the dealer recommended also was the Sahara. And noted about the infotainment package---that's the way I'm leaning on it since I'll be using it daily and it upgrades the speakers which is what I want.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Great to know--- thanks! I agree, I love driving a manual. And the plus side so few now know how to drive one it does make it less likely to be stolen (haha). I definitely want to add tow as I do have plans to later tow a small little camper up the mountains. I really do like the Rubi's but I'm struggling w/ the inside colors of the dash -- I don't want a red dash, nor do I like the name tattooed across 1/4 of the hood. I'll have to do some looking and see how I can get around that (maybe a body wrap). And great advice--hopefully I could get out the door with around your pricing--by the time I add what I like i'm looking at 50k. haha. Thanks!!
I did not get a Rubicon, but I see nothing wrong with taking the Rubicon stickers off. I know a lot of people feel like they paid good money for those stickers but it's your Jeep. It's a easy mod.
Sponsored