Opinion Wheel / Tire setup before purchase

slainte06

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 4 Door, HellaYella
I am looking to make a final decision on this setup. I don't off-road rarely, but nothing major when I do as just don't have the time. This is my daily driver and occasional beach trips with the fam. Looking to pull the trigger on:
(x5) 17x9 ET-18 Black Rhino Shredder (matte black w/dark tint)
(x5) LT315/70R-17 LR-C Open Country R/T

I have a 2019 Rubicon and from research rubbing is not a concern without an additional lift correct?. Anyone think of any concerns with this setup? Appreciate the input.
Sponsored

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
What is the backspacing of that wheel? Something to consider is if the tire will stick out past the fender (some people don't care, others do). Also if in the future you will be adding a lift. A lot of lift company's will require a certain amount backspacing as to not rub during articulation.

OP
OP
slainte06

slainte06

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 4 Door, HellaYella
What is the backspacing of that wheel? Something to consider is if the tire will stick out past the fender (some people don't care, others do). Also if in the future you will be adding a lift. A lot of lift company's will require a certain amount backspacing as to not rub during articulation.

Options are "-18 " with 4.29 or "0" with a 5

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
If you don't want your tires throwing dirt all over the side of the your jeep then a wheel with Approximate Backspacing of 5.77" will keep the tire under the fender(AEV). The problem with keeping the tire tucked under the fender is that if you decide later to add a lift kit with good articulation the wheels can rub on inner components. For example AEV recommends the 5.77 BS with their lift to keep the tires under the fender which works with their lift kit due to limited articulation. Metalcloak recommends a max BS of 4.5 so the wheels don't rub inside the fender. Lots of things to consider.

SmilesPerGallon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2021 JLU Sport
That is the wheel and tire size that I would use and do use. I like to have the proper backspacing as to not rub at full turn of the steering wheel and I don't mind the tires sticking out past the fenders. Also that tire size is usually cheaper and rides better than the 35x12.5 size for tires. Do you have a tire brand preference or are those included in the wheel package?

Sponsored

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
I run the BFG KM3 Mud Terrains 37x12.5 R17. I'm still driving a 2008 2dr JK Rubicon. Waiting for the price of the JL 392 to see if I want one. If I order wheels they will be 4.5 BS/Beadlock or less as I plan on lifting it and want full articulation. I like the AEV wheels but they only work on stock or minimal lifted vehicles.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I run the BFG KM3 Mud Terrains 37x12.5 R17. I'm still driving a 2008 2dr JK Rubicon. Waiting for the price of the JL 392 to see if I want one. If I order wheels they will be 4.5 BS/Beadlock or less as I plan on lifting it and want full articulation. I like the AEV wheels but they only work on stock or minimal lifted vehicles.
You're in for a treat. I've owned two 3.8 liter Wranglers. [I can't imagine that engine pushing 37s]. The step up to even a Pentastar will be a huge improvement.

p.s. I've had AEVs on my last three Jeeps - all lifted. When you say they only work on minimally lifted vehicles what do you mean?

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
For example If you go to the MetalCloak and read their game changer lift instructions they recommend BS of no more than 4.5 inches, I called them and they said 4.7 max or I would have problems rubbing. A greater BS tucks the tire further into the wheel well and closer to the suspension parts which increases the risk of rubbing. An AEV lift doesn't have that problem as it has limited articulation compared to Metalcloak.
Sponsored