Sponsored

One wheel drive in low range?

skej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just picked up a stick shift Rubi and reverse seems geared really high compared to my JK. She seems to struggle backing in to the driveway unless I get a running start and then cross my fingers that everyone behind me can get out of the way fast enough. I plan on pulling a camper this summer and I'm worried about clutch longevity/easy of use when it comes to reversing all that extra weight. Then it dawned on me, the front axle has a disconnect.

Would it be possible to manually disconnect while in 4 low to get the extra torque for maneuverability but maintain a sharp turning radius without the tires getting bound up?
Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I just picked up a stick shift Rubi and reverse seems geared really high compared to my JK. She seems to struggle backing in to the driveway unless I get a running start and then cross my fingers that everyone behind me can get out of the way fast enough. I plan on pulling a camper this summer and I'm worried about clutch longevity/easy of use when it comes to reversing all that extra weight. Then it dawned on me, the front axle has a disconnect.

Would it be possible to manually disconnect while in 4 low to get the extra torque for maneuverability but maintain a sharp turning radius without the tires getting bound up?
Get a twin stick transfer case like an atlas II.

OP
OP

skej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
As long as you don't put either of the lockers on it should not bind up.
Hmm, every vehicle I've had with 4 wheel drive (with or without lockers) had really bad/tight steering in 4 wheel and the front wheels bind up when steering on pavement.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
You should NEVER ENGAGE 4WD ON PAVEMENT------

Since you evidentally have driven 4wd vehicles before-----you know how the SOLID AXLE PERFORMS WITH full right/left turns--

Even more extreme with lockers and if you have to use lockers when BACKING UP A CAMPER--you're either "STUCK/IN MUD/SNOW or have made a POOR DECISION---

Good luck-

JIMBO

OP
OP

skej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You should NEVER ENGAGE 4WD ON PAVEMENT------

Since you evidentally have driven 4wd vehicles before-----you know how the SOLID AXLE PERFORMS WITH full right/left turns--

Even more extreme with lockers and if you have to use lockers when BACKING UP A CAMPER--you're either "STUCK/IN MUD/SNOW or have made a POOR DECISION---

Good luck-

JIMBO
I think you’re missing my point. I know 4wd on pavement is bad, what I’m asking is would it be possible to manually engage the front axle disconnect that comes on the JL’s while in 4 low to prevent all those bad no good things that happen while in 4wd on pavement.

When backing a camper up an incline I just want/need the torque from 4 low, not the traction.

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Yes, if you override the front axle disconnect and turn it off and then keep the front locker off, the front axle would be free to spin and you would not have the binding up of the drivetrain.

Edit for clarity (and caution):
You would still have power going to the front axle via the transfer case, BUT much of the power would be lost through the open differential. It would cause extra wear and there would still be some binding, however it would work.

That said, if you really want to access 2 Low, it would be best to either modify the T-case for 2 low or switch out to an aftermarket case (as @Shenanigans mentioned).

The JLUR is still using the NV241OR transfer case from the JK, so the Teraflex 2 LOW conversion kit should work just fine.

Teraflex 241OR 2Low 2WD low range selector kit

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
You're right--I don't quite understand your question--

Since you have a RUBICON JL--THERE IS NO FRONT AXLE DISCONNECT IN 4LOW--the only control you have while in 4lo, will be whether or not to use the FRONT/REAR AXLE LOCK---

My RUBY will back up a tree when I'm in 4lo/1st gear--top speed(without over red line engine) is less that 5mph

We aren't communicating--

JIMBO

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a job for the Tazer JL. I'm sure the option to disengage the FAD could be added to the Tazer if it's isn't already.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
YUP--good idea, cause nothing stock will affect the FAD, except going into 4WD !

Good day

JIMBO

OP
OP

skej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes, if you override the front axle disconnect and turn it off and then keep the front locker off, the front axle would be free to spin and you would not have the binding up of the drivetrain.

Edit for clarity (and caution):
You would still have power going to the front axle via the transfer case, BUT much of the power would be lost through the open differential. It would cause extra wear and there would still be some binding, however it would work.

That said, if you really want to access 2 Low, it would be best to either modify the T-case or switch out to an aftermarket case (as @Shenanigans mentioned).

The JLUR is still using the NV241OR transfer case from the JK, so the Teraflex 2LO conversion kit should work just fine.

Teraflex 241OR 2Low 2WD low range selector kit
The 2WD kit sounds like it will accomplish exactly what I want, but I may check out what Arrowhead suggested first.

Thanks for the tip!

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Sorry for all the edits, after writing that I figured I had better clarify that you can do it, but it isn't the best way to go about using 2 low.

If 2 Low is something you want to do, it really would be best to do the 2 Low shifter kit from TeraFlex.

It is involved, but not to terribly hard to do.

Attachments

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
If you are only wanting 2L for very limited applications maybe you could simply pull the wire connector off the FAD or find and remove the fuse or relay associated with the FAD. Heck you could wire in a kill switch to the FAD harness. It might give you an error code but still may allow you to drive in 2L.

Back in the day, you could install a cable to manually engage the FAD on the YJ the last Wrangler to have FAD.

http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_jeep.html

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Sounds like a job for the Tazer JL. I'm sure the option to disengage the FAD could be added to the Tazer if it's isn't already.
According to Tazer website, both Tazer JL and Tazer Mini have FAD enable/disable feature.

So what does that do to your front diff? The FAD allows both front tires to spin freely without turning the ring gear. The internal diff bevel gears are spinning like crazy to make this happen. Now apply power to the front driveshaft when shifting into 4H or 4L without engaging the FAD and now your ring gear is turning the diff carrier as well. Is that bad for the front diff to be used like this?

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
According to Tazer website, both Tazer JL and Tazer Mini have FAD enable/disable feature.

So what does that do to your front diff? The FAD allows both front tires to spin freely without turning the ring gear. The internal diff bevel gears are spinning like crazy to make this happen. Now apply power to the front driveshaft when shifting into 4H or 4L without engaging the FAD and now your ring gear is turning the diff carrier as well. Is that bad for the front diff to be used like this?
Your description is spot on and I wonder the same thing. I don't think the OP was looking to engage the FAD after completing moving his trailer around though so I don't think it's a problem for what he wants to do.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I’m still struggling with the premise of the OP that reverse is geared so high that he has trouble backing up his driveway. Is that something others with manuals have noticed?
Sponsored