Oil and maintenance

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
Hi just ordered a new JL sport s and was wondering what oil it comes with? Conventional, break in oil, or synthetic? Was planning on over changing it for the first year (every 2000). If it's a break in oil how long should I go with it? If it's conventional oil how long should I wait to switch to synthetic? Lot of questions I know. Thanks and thanks for accepting me as a member.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Hi just ordered a new JL sport s and was wondering what oil it comes with? Conventional, break in oil, or synthetic? Was planning on over changing it for the first year (every 2000). If it's a break in oil how long should I go with it? If it's conventional oil how long should I wait to switch to synthetic? Lot of questions I know. Thanks and thanks for accepting me as a member.
Jeep specifies to use 0W-20 oil. AFAIK the only 0W-20 oils on the market are synthetic.

OP
OP

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
Thanks Karl, so that would mean the oil used to break in the motor is a synthetic? I thought you had to use a conventional for 5000 miles.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Karl, so that would mean the oil used to break in the motor is a synthetic? I thought you had to use a conventional for 5000 miles.
The factory fill is either full or semi-synthetic. Pennzoil Gold is the likely one, and it is a very good semi-synthetic. You'll have no trouble going to full synthetic any time you want. There's lots of debate over the details of break-in, but chances are, the rings are seated when the engine is tested at the factory where it was built, before it ever makes it to Toledo. Even if they aren't, they will be very quickly. Just go with the owner's manual recommendation for driving style for whatever mileage it states. For example, it might say to stay below 60mph and vary the engine speed for the first 100 or so. One thing I personally would not do, based on talking to engine builders, is get it over 4000 rpms in the first couple hundred miles. Also avoid using the cruise control, again, for probably 100 miles or so.

Honestly, there are people who drive it hard right from the dealer's lot and have no issues. I don't recommend it and I wouldn't do it, but some do.

Enjoy your Jeep! The 3.6 is a very good and durable engine!

Sponsored

avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
What do the manual say on this? The oil life cycle indicator moves slowly, so which should you go by?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Can't go wrong with either.
What do the manual say on this? The oil life cycle indicator moves slowly, so which should you go by?
Once back from Moab in October, I'll probably go with the oil life monitor or once a year, depending on how many miles I drive annually. Run a good full synthetic oil and don't worry. The 3.6 is pretty easy on oil, anyway.
Sponsored