Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
OK, those Amsoil comments mostly apply to breakdown with driving. I get the condensation, but wouldn't a 15-20 mile drive get rid of any moisture? As far as oxidation, I'm not sure how much air exchange there is in the oil pan of a modern engine. Seems like most of the oxidation is a parked vehicle would occur rapidly to the point of equilibrium. I'm curious because I have car that gets stored in Yuma for 6 months of the year and driven about 2000 miles in the winter. I don't really like to have anyone else work on it and oil changes are a huge PITA.
What engine do y ou have that the oil change is a pita? The 3.6L takes 20 mins and that's taking your good old time and it is hands down the easiest engine to change the oil on I've ever owned.
Sponsored

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
What engine do y ou have that the oil change is a pita? The 3.6L takes 20 mins and that's taking your good old time and it is hands down the easiest engine to change the oil on I've ever owned.
I agree. Being able to change oil on my 2.0 without ramps or jacking up the car is a joy!

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Due to covid I've only driven 4500 miles in the last year after an oil change.

Usually it's recommended to change at least yearly, and I've read that the gauge cluster info should reflect this.

Currently after 4500 miles and a year, it's still showing 55% oil life.

In the grand scheme the cost isn't an issue, but I find it curious the gauge cluster is still showing 50% life left. Does Jeep not take into account time and only wear/tear/driving conditions?
I do find it interesting that on most vehicles now - it will give you a service reminder in some annoying location to make sure you go get it serviced, but are you saying that doesn't happen on this jeep after the 12 months?

I thought most car makers had that light that comes on to make sure they get their $$ from service

OP
OP

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
I do find it interesting that on most vehicles now - it will give you a service reminder in some annoying location to make sure you go get it serviced, but are you saying that doesn't happen on this jeep after the 12 months?

I thought most car makers had that light that comes on to make sure they get their $$ from service
Not sure. I only take a look via the settings menu as I have 24k miles on it and I've changed the oil every 8k miles regardless of what the oil life monitor says.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

are you saying that doesn't happen on this jeep after the 12 months?
The change oil indicator does not automatically come on after 12 months on the JL. There's a combination of factors that determines engine oil life and when the indicator turns on. You could drive the vehicle in harsh conditions, with heavy engine load and the indicator could illuminate well before 12 months. It could also illuminate after 12 months, if the vehicle isn't driven much.