OEM tow hooks vs. D Rings

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
New to this so bare with me. I've come to understand that the factory tow hooks on most Wranglers aren't ideal for being towed or using to tow. I suspect it's because they are open. So why does Jeep install them instead of something you could put a shackle on? The hooks do look cool especially in red. Does anyone make adapters or replacements so you don't need to replace your bumpers to get D rings? I have a 19 JLUR. I can add a hitch mounted d ring easy enough but any thoughts on the two red hooks up front and the one in the rear? Seems like a simple bolt on replacement would be great.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer the D rings because the hooks are small and can be difficult getting a tow strap on. I don't trust putting a D ring hitch insert because I don't feel they are rugged enough. Hook in back may be replaceable but I haven't seen a D ring replacement for the front hooks.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I am hoping for. I sent Warn an email inquiring about the installation instruction to determine how much cutting is involved.
If you look that part up on Quadratec it has the install instructions which show the cutting required.

Sponsored

OP
OP
55WillysWagon

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
Thank you. Found it. That's a pretty good chunk out of the bottom of the bumper. The instructions didn't mention the lower skid plate so I'll look at the Jeep and see. Thx!

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The tow hooks are fine, but you should use your D-RINGS with the tow hooks-

That will ease the wear/load on the recovery loop/rope-etc-

W.E.

JIMBO

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I am somewhat curious about this too. Some of the rides I plan to attend this year require "tow points." I'm not sure if the factory hooks in the steel bumper count or not. Do I need a different option?

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
The tow hooks are fine, but you should use your D-RINGS with the tow hooks-

That will ease the wear/load on the recovery loop/rope-etc-

W.E.

JIMBO
Jimbo, a noob question here, trying to learn. . . how does adding a D-ring over the stock Rubi tow hooks ease the wear or load? On a side note, the hooks make me wonder if a recovery strap would slip off too easily. . . yes? No?

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Yo Jeepixel, the stock front JL bumper tow hooks have SHARP EDGES and any tow ropes/nylon/poly, will FRAY/TEAR when Loaded/using just the hooks-

If a "D" ring is used with the hooks, the tow/recovery rope will only load against the 'ROUND" "D" ring-

JIMBO

ETCMSSRetJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR Hella Yella, 6 spd, loaded, Warn Zeon 10S, otherwise stock
Occupation
Trainer. Retired Navy Submarine Nuke
I found out by accident that if you add a Warn bar to your factory steel bumper, it all but turns your factory tow hooks into closed recovery points. They bear up to within 1/4" or less of the tip of both hooks. I have the mid-height but I think they would all come just as close. Not the same strength as a real closed recovery point, but there's no way a D-ring can jump off of there with that bar in the way. I would post a pic but it's dark (and cold) out.

DerekPB

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Reverse Engineering
Vehicle Showcase
I found out by accident that if you add a Warn bar to your factory steel bumper, it all but turns your factory tow hooks into closed recovery points. They bear up to within 1/4" or less of the tip of both hooks. I have the mid-height but I think they would all come just as close. Not the same strength as a real closed recovery point, but there's no way a D-ring can jump off of there with that bar in the way. I would post a pic but it's dark (and cold) out.

I found that to be the same...

In truth 3 things:

1 - I am looking for a front bumper alternative attachment point and will look into the ones above.

2- the warn mid bar makes it almost almost impossible for a D-Ring to slip off but I still don't like / trust it if there are alt. options.

3 - I was disappointed in the bar mount itself. Its not what was pictured in the sales photos or the installation photos... Poorly done, not what I would of ordred if I had seen what it was in reality.

20190616_225456(1)~2.jpg

20190616_203131_HDR(1)~2.jpg

20190616_203121(1)~2.jpg

20190616_203053(1)~2.jpg

Last edited:

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
These look like they require a little less cutting. Maximus-3. Sounds like they are coming out with rear hooks soon too.

jl-tow-loops.jpg
jl-tow-loops.jpg
jl-tow-loops.jpg
I added these to my JLUR, but since I have my old JK Hard Rock metal bumper my cutting is different than the JL metal bumper. Very easy to install. I just had to cut the skid plate a little past where it overlaps on the bumper.

D95D3D7D-F384-4D37-8C7E-EC21CA456EBE.jpeg
Sponsored