Sponsored

Odd requirements at a certain dealership.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Also, what do you guys think? Is this a common thing now? I have never had a "good" experience at a dealership, its always been annoying or like pissing glass, nothing better. :(
Every time I've bought a new vehicle, the experience has been a little more crappy.

Back in 2012, they basically handed me a checklist of bullshit options, and took no for an answer on all of them. The same in 2014. In 2016, I had to buy the nitrogen, and then they tried to sell me the paint protection add-on.

When I just got my new '21, they basically didn't give me any choices. Everything was already rolled in again, and I got the whole nine yards worth of stupid add-on options, to the tune of $6,000. It was that or drive away without a Jeep.

(Edited to remove all the crap about my anxiety issues and crappy childhood, and for brevity.)

Last edited:

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
You need to report that dealer to your States Attorney General, or the State DMV. Whoever handles the licensing for Automobile Dealerships in your state. They need to know what is going on. Your not the only victim of this devious behavior and somebody needs to blow the whistle

Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
no offense my man, but I don't know how you didn't run out of that office laughing your ass off at how incredibly insane they sound after telling them to fug off and that you won't be buying two Jeeps that day from them....

Not only should you tell everyone on here what dealership this is, so no one else gets raped by them you should also tell Yelp , the police and local news outlets about their fraudulent activities....

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Let me see if I understand you... the dealership told you that in order to get a loan you had to add $6000 to the price of the Jeep for a warranty?
Am I missing something?
$12k. $6k per jeep. and just how does making a loan $12k larger help you get the loan?

not only that, but it's basically $12k unsecured debt. if you ever totaled it/them, insurance would never pay out what you have in the loan and the bank's gonna come after you for the balance.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Mandatory $6k warranty? I've walked out of dealerships for less. Such as those $600 add-on packages where they put nitrous in your tires and shoot a can of scotch guard on your seats.

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Bought my '19 off the lot. Got quote from sales, went to pick it up. Finance wants to sell extended warranty and coatings and add on options etc etc. I said nope, I'm just buying the vehicle. He was unhappy. Not my job to please him.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Seriously, the only reason this behavior continues is because people let it happen. Walk right out. I bought my last Jeep and Ram 1000 miles from my house, bought two Toyotas in different cities 200 miles away, don't regret any of those 4 purchases.

Of course, there are millions of people who are willing to accept that "it's just the way it is" or shockingly don't understand that they have to buy a car from the dealer down the street form them.

OP
OP
Preditorian

Preditorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Sorry for late reply.

The dealership is South Point Dodge in Austin, TX.

I already filed a complaint with corporate about the issue, waiting for reply.

In order to cancel this bogus warranty I am normally required to submit a request at the dealership, but they did not want to do it, so the company that held the warranty said they would bypass them since they were acting stupid.

I completely understand that this could not have happened without me going along with it, so I will just chalk it up to lessons learned, also I can now protect others from them as much as possible via other platforms.

I have been told about the legality of what they did several times now, and I am waiting to see what corporate says about the matter, but do yall think I should file suit against them?

I am basically all for doing anything possible to protect other Jeepers from this dealership.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
When you cancel a warranty purchase like the one in this post, the warranty company credits that back to your loan. So on each Jeep it would be like having it paid down $6k. The payment doesn't lower, the principal does.