Non-beadlock Wheels and pressure

JBean42

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Acura TLX A-Spec; 2020 Chevy Silverado
Hi all - am learning a wealth of information on this site - thank you! Am currently awaiting my JLU Sahara from the factory and had a questions about off-road capability (which I am new to as well). For wheels - what is the generally accepted psi that one can air down to in non-beadlock wheels? Will not be doing anything extreme as I am learning, but don't want to risk damage to my new baby.
Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I run 15 psi on my Method 701s and Toyo 35s with no issues at all. However, I know there are folks out there going lower. I would probably drop to 12 if I really needed to, personally I don't think I would feel comfortable below that...though like I say, I am sure there are folks running less on non-beadlock.

Last edited:

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Hi all - am learning a wealth of information on this site - thank you! Am currently awaiting my JLU Sahara from the factory and had a questions about off-road capability (which I am new to as well). For wheels - what is the generally accepted psi that one can air down to in non-beadlock wheels? Will not be doing anything extreme as I am learning, but don't want to risk damage to my new baby.
20 if I'm running fast washboarded stuff at 45 mph or better, 15 if I'm just running over rocks and holes and whatnot.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
Tire pressures is relative to the amount of sidewall rubber (top of tire to edge of rim) and the width of the wheel (Expressed as 7J, 10J, etc).

What tire size and wheel width do you have on your Sahara.

OP
OP
JBean42

JBean42

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tire pressures is relative to the amount of sidewall rubber (top of tire to edge of rim) and the width of the wheel (Expressed as 7J, 10J, etc).

What tire size and wheel width do you have on your Sahara.
The new Sahara will come stock with 255/70R18 all terrains.

Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
I've found 18psi to be a good compromise. Enough pressure to keep the bead from popping, but it's low enough to give your tires an expanded footprint.

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
I used to run 15psi on my stock 33" KO2s, but I go down to 10 on my 315/70/r17 Patagonias on an 8.5" wide non-beadlock wheel. I take moderate to difficult trails all the time and have never had a problem doing that. If I'm doing a mix of pavement, dirt, gravel, and semi-rough terrain, I'll run between 20 and 25psi.

Here's a video from an Australian guy who does some actual real-world testing, but if you really want to be sure for your particular wheel/tire combo, just take it offroad and be prepared to switch to your spare if you go too far.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have rubicon M/Ts on Rubicon wheels. I run 15 on moderate/difficult trails and 22~25 for easy stuff (for comfort). You should be ok in your Sahara running 18~20. Extremely capable by the way. I recently went wheeling with a friend who had a stock sport altitude and he was able to take almost all the lines I took. He did lift wheels many times, but the jeep did it no issues.

His stock A/T bridgestones did perfectly fine. The sections we didn't want him going through were technical and had a high possibility of body damage for his Jeep without sliders and bad articulation (connected sway bar).

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
The 255/70R18 on the stock wheel means you have 7" of sidewall rubber on a 7.5J wheel. The stock Rubicon tires and wheels (285/70R17, 7.5J) have 7.9" sidewall rubber. I have a JLR and run the following pressures off road:

Dunes and soft sand - 5.8 Psi
Any other off road trails - 14 Psi
Paved roads - 30 Psi

I recommend you do not go lower than 10 to 12 Psi with the stock Sahara tires.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Sponsored

OP
OP
JBean42

JBean42

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all - very helpful.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Everyone seems to miss the point the front beads are much more likely to break than the rear. Turning can put a high load on the bead. For the same reliability, you can lower the rear pressure 5 PSI or more lower.

I used to run 15psi on my stock 33" KO2s, but I go down to 10 on my 315/70/r17 Patagonias on an 8.5" wide non-beadlock wheel. I take moderate to difficult trails all the time and have never had a problem doing that. If I'm doing a mix of pavement, dirt, gravel, and semi-rough terrain, I'll run between 20 and 25psi.

Here's a video from an Australian guy who does some actual real-world testing, but if you really want to be sure for your particular wheel/tire combo, just take it offroad and be prepared to switch to your spare if you go too far.

but if you really want to be sure for your particular wheel/tire combo, just take it offroad and be prepared to switch to your spare if you go too far.
No no no, that's an opportunity to use your ratchet strap to re-seal the bead. See How To: Reseat a 4x4 Bead
And those ARB 0-60 gauges are worthless below 15 PSI, I know because I've got calibrated 0-30 gauges, an ARB air down, and several folks in the club have the same ARB.

The 255/70R18 on the stock wheel means you have 7" of sidewall rubber on a 7.5J wheel. The stock Rubicon tires and wheels (285/70R17, 7.5J) have 7.9" sidewall rubber. I have a JLR and run the following pressures off road:

Any other off road trails - 14 Psi
Paved roads - 30 Psi

I recommend you do not go lower than 10 to 12 Psi with the stock Sahara tires.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

See How To: Reseat a 4x4 Bead
He breaks a bead on sand at a much higher pressure, but he was going fast while turning. But you're supposed to go fast in sand.
The magic of sand, the only time the 392 has an advantage.

Guy in my group runs 12 on stock Rubicon rims. I wasn’t that bold.
I run 13 on the fronts and 10 on the rears with 37's on stock rims. I've been doing that every weekend for the last 6 months. Hoping to break a bead so I can practice reseating it.

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Everyone seems to miss the point the front beads are much more likely to break than the rear. Turning can put a high load on the bead. For the same reliability, you can lower the rear pressure 5 PSI or more lower.

No no no, that's an opportunity to use your ratchet strap to re-seal the bead. See How To: Reseat a 4x4 Bead
And those ARB 0-60 gauges are worthless below 15 PSI, I know because I've got calibrated 0-30 gauges, an ARB air down, and several folks in the club have the same ARB.

See How To: Reseat a 4x4 Bead
He breaks a bead on sand at a much higher pressure, but he was going fast while turning. But you're supposed to go fast in sand.
The magic of sand, the only time the 392 has an advantage.
Since OP hasn’t been seen for a year, just guessing it’s still at the dealer installed 45+.
Sponsored