Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Searched, but didn't find anything.

Making a trip to Death Valley next week. Lots of warnings to carry multiple spares (as there's a lot of sidewall damage)... which isn't possible for me.

Now, we've got our share of rocks in Colorado, but Death Valley seems to be a level up. Normally when I'm Offroad I'm at ~17 psi. For these super rocky areas, I feel like it might make sense to stiffen up the sidewall a bit and maybe run 20-25 psi.

Am I thinking about this correctly?. Still rocking the stock BFG K02s.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LooselyHeldPlans

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Old post but deserves a reply. D.V. roads are more about washboard surfaces that beat the crap out of any suspension and passenger car tires. I had no issues on my JLR's KO2's but the Rubi shocks failed quickly from over heating and leaking seals.
Mine didn’t fail… the shocks that’s is. My brain was bruised and I couldn’t think straight. Worse washboard roads I e ever seen… and hundreds of miles of them.

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I was just out a Death Valley for 5 days, two weeks ago. I found 15psi was the perfect amount, especially with the added weight of my gear. I had 4 other jeeps with me and a Dodge ram 1500 who all ran the same pressure without any issues. We went through some very rocky terrain.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
@LooselyHeldPlans Stiffening the sidewalls makes them more susceptible to cuts, not less. 17psi if probably a great place to have them set.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Been to DV multiple times with different vehicles. I usually run 12 psi. Never had a tire problem there nor have any of my trail buddies.

But Id never wheel without a spare. I’ve seen a person need TWO spares so make sure you have plugs snd sidewall patches.

Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Also give consideration to load rating/ply for your tires. Are you running C, D, or E?

Reactions: J0E

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I was Stationed at Ft Irwin for 4 Years with the U.S. Army and have driven cross country in the Mojave with military wheeled vehicles so I may have some insight as to the spare tire deal. Ft Irwin is just to the west side of the ridge that borders DV, so the terrain, vegetation and weather is exactly the same. We are just the military side of death Valley. It is a smart idea to carry more than one spare if traveling overland. Not only can you get rock punctures but what most people don't realize is that you will get just as many flats from the Vegetation as from anything else. Drive too close to the vegetation and you can get a puncture just like a dagger through jello.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Less pressure helps them fold around rocks versus getting cut. That being said, I’ve cut 3 myself an seen 1 other BFG sidewall fail (on sticks no less). BFG has the thinnest/weakest sidewalls I’ve seen. I’ll never run that brand again. My Nittos have been through MUCH more abuse (as you can see here) and have never flinched!

1B9FE58A-2619-49B7-8650-A0BC73534788.jpeg

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Searched, but didn't find anything.

Making a trip to Death Valley next week. Lots of warnings to carry multiple spares (as there's a lot of sidewall damage)... which isn't possible for me.

Now, we've got our share of rocks in Colorado, but Death Valley seems to be a level up. Normally when I'm Offroad I'm at ~17 psi. For these super rocky areas, I feel like it might make sense to stiffen up the sidewall a bit and maybe run 20-25 psi.

Am I thinking about this correctly?. Still rocking the stock BFG K02s.
Late response to this but I was in Death Valley in February and put a stick through the sidewall of the KO2. Was able to put a plug in so didn’t have to use the spare. If you don’t already have a plug kit then I highly recommend one. Much easier then changing a 35” tire.

jlrubeinswaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Less pressure helps them fold around rocks versus getting cut. That being said, I’ve cut 3 myself an seen 1 other BFG sidewall fail (on sticks no less). BFG has the thinnest/weakest sidewalls I’ve seen. I’ll never run that brand again. My Nittos have been through MUCH more abuse (as you can see here) and have never flinched!

1B9FE58A-2619-49B7-8650-A0BC73534788.jpeg
Where your BFG's C or D rating? I have run BFG's for 15 yrs on 2 jeeps and never had a problem and have not been easy on them.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Where your BFG's C or D rating? I have run BFG's for 15 yrs on 2 jeeps and never had a problem and have not been easy on them.
I don’t remember. One set was the factory spec on a 2016 JK, so whatever Jeep spec’d...
Sponsored