Sponsored

No wave?

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
A very unimportant question. Last weekend we strapped a kayak to the top of our old JK and headed up for a paddle in a lake by the exit of the Fordyce trail. We passed several serious Jeeps heading off Fordyce as we headed up the road. We exchanged waves with every single Jeep driving itself home from the trail. But about half the Jeep's were on trailers pulled by big pickups. Not one wave received / given to the Jeeps on trailers. So a Jeep being trailered home doesn't give/get a wave? My wife asked me why not? I guess a Jeep being transported home doesn't count.
Sponsored

4x4snowmachinejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 4xe White
Occupation
Travel Industry
most likely they just waved all their cash down the drain....... bad sports or just sick of us amateurs also most people in LA area don't wave let alone even know another jeep just passed by,,,,,, truth

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Jeep waves come from the occupants of a Jeep to the occupants of another Jeep. They're not in their Jeep, they're in their truck. If you do that while you're towing the Jeep you'll likely also do that when you're not towing the Jeep, like a wanna-be loser.

There's also a saturation level for Jeep waves. They'll be much more common where Jeeps are less common. In Utah you won't get many Jeep waves on the road. Mainly because if you waved at every Jeep you pass you'll be going down the street like you're in a parade. Jeeps are that common and the wave becomes awkward. Off-road is a completely different story though.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Bikers wave,Harley Riders wave,

Bike weekend no one waves ..too many bikes on the road

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I live in the suburbs and there are Jeeps EVERYWHERE. I stopped waving long ago. I will wave back if waved to. I will initiate a wave to CJs or practically modified Jeeps. I do not initiate waves to mall crawlers. Just too many damn jeeps.

Sponsored

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Yep; the Wrangler has become ubiquitous in Colorado. There are so many of them, and I know the majority are mall crawlers, so I don't bother waving most of the time. As someone else said, on the trail it's a much different story.

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
The hardest part is remembering not to wave when I'm driving the Cayenne. I've gotten a couple of confused looks from folks in Jeeps wondering why the yuppie snob in the Porsche is waving at them 😎

OP
OP

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
There's also a saturation level for Jeep waves. They'll be much more common where Jeeps are less common.
I live in the suburbs and there are Jeeps EVERYWHERE. I stopped waving long ago.
The hardest part is remembering not to wave when I'm driving the Cayenne.
The lessor built Jeep waves first.
Some interesting thoughts but I don't know if I agree with all of them. I have two Jeeps, a 15yr well loved JK which I keep in the mountains and a 1yr old JLUR which is currently my daily driver in the suburbs, but gets up to the mountains whenever I can get it there.

When I am up in the mountains there are lots of Jeeps and both of my Jeeps get/give lots of waves. With a slight edge to the well used Jeep due to its character. But I have lots of built up Jeeps waving before I do.

When I am in the suburbs, I wait until I have been waved at to respond. My wife asked me why. I told her it wasn't good form for a 60 something man to be waving at cute teenage cheerleaders in their dad's mall crawler. She watched for a little while and then told me she understood my point.

But I do have trouble not waving at Jeeps when driving the wife's BMW. Especially in the mountains. It's a hard habit to break.

Thanks all

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Yep; the Wrangler has become ubiquitous in Colorado. There are so many of them, and I know the majority are mall crawlers, so I don't bother waving most of the time. As someone else said, on the trail it's a much different story.
I still wave to every Jeep and despite knowing most are mall crawlers, I still expect a wave back and am disappointed when they don't. Losers...

Sponsored

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I still wave to every Jeep and despite knowing most are mall crawlers, I still expect a wave back and am disappointed when they don't. Losers...
Hahaha. I just prefer to skip the disappointment. I will, however, return a wave. If I see it in time.

CrimsonGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I get irritated when I don't get a wave back, then I realize I am driving the wife's Pacifica. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited:

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
I don’t wave at the multitude of Jeeps I pass daily. Maybe half or so if that. There are so many, it could be my job lol. If they were rare then it would be different like “hey look another Jeep!” Here and there for me is fine but I’m not obsessed with waving at people in the same type of vehicle.
As Jeeps have become almost every other vehicle around here waving at every one of them feels like a forced gesture in a parade. And when people act offended if they get no wave? RELAX, you’ll live. There are probably two or three right behind me lol. People acting like that actually deter it more for me. Wave if you want but for me it's like like giving someone a gift that they didnt ask for. If you're demanding one back then youre doing it for the wrong reason imo.
Sponsored