Newest Gear box AB

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So I now have three cast iron boxes. Two have the AA suffix in the part number and I just picked up the new AB Suffix.

Bench testing them the AB box seems to be adjusted the tightest in the over center adjustment. Even more so than the one I have that I adjusted myself. The new box also has a few QR code’s on it that I don’t see on the AA box. Hopefully sometime this week I will get a chance to throw this one in and see how it drives.

C3ACAE19-EBA9-46E1-90A6-18EB15F825BB.jpeg

1A368F33-AF5C-4C83-A3C2-CE4FEB52718D.jpeg

E4697B40-D342-47F5-A4D8-41341E2CBB5D.jpeg

6256EF3F-32F8-402D-A835-4C741B62EDFA.jpeg
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So I now have three cast iron boxes. Two have the AA suffix in the part number and I just picked up the new AB Suffix.

Bench testing them the AB box seems to be adjusted the tightest in the over center adjustment. Even more so than the one I have that I adjusted myself. The new box also has a few QR code’s on it that I don’t see on the AA box. Hopefully sometime this week I will get a chance to throw this one in and see how it drives.

C3ACAE19-EBA9-46E1-90A6-18EB15F825BB.jpeg

1A368F33-AF5C-4C83-A3C2-CE4FEB52718D.jpeg

E4697B40-D342-47F5-A4D8-41341E2CBB5D.jpeg

6256EF3F-32F8-402D-A835-4C741B62EDFA.jpeg
What’s the back story here that made you buy 3 out of pocket (I assume)?

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I still haven't taken mine in for the TSB because 1. it's really not that bad with my fox ats stabilizer and 2. it seems they're still coming out with new rev's. I have the latest rev alum now. My next mod will be RPM steering without a doubt, then I'm considering letting my shop install the latest one and taking it to the dealer for the software flash. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts concerning this new one.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 2021 JLUR has the AA gearbox. I’m very curious how different this new AB gearbox is compared to the AA.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
From what I was told there was only one change made in the AB box and it was to make it easier to assemble on the line. The box that is in the Jeep was done last year under the TSB. The second box I have is out of a totaled 2020 that was getting the frame changed from an accident and there was additional damage found after it was taken apart so they totaled it and I grabbed the box to experiment on. This last box AB I purchased just to confirm the changes.

I have been going through basically everything in the Jeep trying to eliminate a wobble in the front end. The box that is in it has some play in the sector shaft, when I removed the Synergy brace the wobble gets worse, even with the brace you can see movement in the sector shaft when you rock the wheel back and forth.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I still haven't taken mine in for the TSB because 1. it's really not that bad with my fox ats stabilizer and 2. it seems they're still coming out with new rev's. I have the latest rev alum now. My next mod will be RPM steering without a doubt, then I'm considering letting my shop install the latest one and taking it to the dealer for the software flash. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts concerning this new one.
What rims are you running on your Jeep? The RPM system uses the Rusty’s rod ends, they just make the aluminum bar... the rod ends will not clear a factory wheel and I am Running the AEV wheels and I have some rubbing at full lock.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have been going through basically everything in the Jeep trying to eliminate a wobble in the front end. The box that is in it has some play in the sector shaft, when I removed the Synergy brace the wobble gets worse, even with the brace you can see movement in the sector shaft when you rock the wheel back and forth.
I had a sneaking feeling some of that may be in the sector shaft. The RAM trucks have a rubber bushing that wears out and causes the same thing. I don't think the Jeep has that same bushing from the exploded docs I've looked at.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What rims are you running on your Jeep? The RPM system uses the Rusty’s rod ends, they just make the aluminum bar... the rod ends will not clear a factory wheel and I am Running the AEV wheels and I have some rubbing at full lock.
I'm on stock wheels with synergy 1.75'' spacers for now, however I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on some zero offset (4.5'' backspace) steel rugged ridge trail runners. I think I'm at 4.3'' backspace now with the stock wheels and spacers so it shouldn't be a prob.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I had a sneaking feeling some of that may be in the sector shaft. The RAM trucks have a rubber bushing that wears out and causes the same thing. I don't think the Jeep has that same bushing from the exploded docs I've looked at.
I haven’t pulled one apart yet but the one out of the total I plan on it. I want to see what they are using for bearings on the shaft. I do think they are using a rubber bushing/seal on the lower end.That could possibly explain why my wobble changes occasionally based on temperature.
Sponsored