Sponsored

JL Steering Gear Box Aftermarket Support

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
We're coming up on 2 years since the JL was released and unfortunately we still don't have several options for aftermarket steering boxes despite many complaints on this forum. So far I think PSC is the only vendor offering an aftermarket steering gear box but unfortunately it comes as a complete steering overhaul package and the least expensive option is still pretty steep at $2400 plus another, what, $400-600 install? Maybe it takes time to engineer these things, who knows.

We picked up our 2020 JLUR and absolutely love it but there is definitely noticeable steering wheel play. Granted, we haven't taken it to the dealer to start with the simple stuff like torquing everything to spec (I noticed barely tight ball joints) and an alignment in case it's out of spec from the factory. But if that doesn't address it, again, it comes down to the steering box as the main culprit.

@PSCJEFF any plans for just a replacement steering box that I'm sure will be engineered to better tolerances to eliminate 90% of excessive steering wheel play?
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
The problem definitely is the steering box. I love my JL and honestly the steering is not bad. I replaced the Tie-Rod, Drag Link with Steer Smarts and have a Rock Krawler adjustable track bar. I also have the Falcon Nexus 2.2 stabilizers. I mean this thing is SOLID!!! But still after all the work and expense there still is that steering play. It's the BOX. unless that shitty box gets redesigned or aftermarket put it, it will be the same.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
What additional expenses are you seeing at $400-600 to install?

I'd love to see a swap kit for a more common steering box, something from a full-size truck from any of the Big 3, really. If it required also converting the electric-over I'm fine with that

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Also would be cool to see a bracket that'd let you run a basic Sag pump off a GMT or later Ford van...but I don't know if the integral reservoir would fit....and I'm honestly not sure if Sags ever came with remote reservoirs and/or can be converted

Sadly there's not much $$ in providing easier ways for guys to run JY parts

Does any of the FEAD bracketry from the JK 3.6 move over I wonder?

Either way Sean is right - proper steering assist is expensive. Just like anything else, it's all the little pieces and gotchas that nickel and dime you.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Nature of the beast. Wranglers steering does not compare to a rack&pinion steering system. I’ve done the HD bars and am adding the Synergy track bar/ steering box sector shaft brace. https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-...-and-sector-shaft-brace.html?category_id=4980 That’s as good as the steering will get with our stock steering box.
I saw your other post about that and the Synergy piece is fascinating, although I wonder just how much useful support it truly adds to the sector shaft, and I wonder if sector shafts are snapping *primarily* due to deflection or twisting?

But either way if there's excessive slop within the steering gear itself none of this external stuff will cure that, of course.

OP
OP
Alpha Delta

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
What additional expenses are you seeing at $400-600 to install?

I'd love to see a swap kit for a more common steering box, something from a full-size truck from any of the Big 3, really. If it required also converting the electric-over I'm fine with that
I'm guessing here but the complete overhaul kit will cost 4-6 hours of shop time to install. Correct me if I'm wrong.

After re-reading, it sounds like the OP does know what the various kits do...he just doesn't like the price. Well, it is what it is.

You can cobble something together on your own and it will probably work just fine....or you can buy the full PSC kit and if it doesn't work, they will make it right.

PSC *might* sell the pump and upgraded box separately (a call to them is the best way to figure it out) and you can piece the rest of it together yourself if you think you can save some coin doing it that way....I am skeptical that in the end you will save much at all doing it that way.
Yeah, it's difficult to gauge the expense trying to replace certain parts until the steering is *almost* there versus just getting the overlander kit.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm guessing here but the complete overhaul kit will cost 4-6 hours of shop time to install. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, it's difficult to gauge the expense trying to replace certain parts until the steering is *almost* there versus just getting the overlander kit.
Well if you're serious enough to run the PSC kit you should be serious enough to put it in yourself. Plus you'll be WAY more familiar with the system if you encounter problems in BFE

That $400-600 will buy you an incredibly comprehensive selection of hand tools (and some auto specialty tools) at HF, and HF tools will work fine for this. PSC is specific about their kits being completely bolt on. The bonus is you get your man card when you DIY ;)

OP
OP
Alpha Delta

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Well if you're serious enough to run the PSC kit you should be serious enough to put it in yourself. Plus you'll be WAY more familiar with the system if you encounter problems in BFE

That $400-600 will buy you an incredibly comprehensive selection of hand tools (and some auto specialty tools) at HF, and HF tools will work fine for this. PSC is specific about their kits being completely bolt on. The bonus is you get your man card when you DIY ;)
Good point. My brother in law has a lift in his barn and a large selection of tools. This may just be a nice weekend buddy job. I’ll try all the other fixes I’ve read about and if I don’t get anywhere, I’ll look into doing a complete overhaul. Not many reports so far with JLs but all the ones I’ve read about have been positive.

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The problem definitely is the steering box. I love my JL and honestly the steering is not bad. I replaced the Tie-Rod, Drag Link with Steer Smarts and have a Rock Krawler adjustable track bar. I also have the Falcon Nexus 2.2 stabilizers. I mean this thing is SOLID!!! But still after all the work and expense there still is that steering play. It's the BOX. unless that shitty box gets redesigned or aftermarket put it, it will be the same.
As I read this I'm still miffed as to why your Falcon fits and mine doesn't. Yep, Im the guy on FB. ;)

Back on topic, yes, its the steering box thats causing such a huge deadspot. When you replace your drag link, tie rod, track bar and control arms to something super solid, there is only one thing left that could cause the issue. I forgot to verify if my box is flexing on my frame when I was under it yesterday. If it is then I may get the Synergy Sector Shaft/Track Bar brace.

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Old thread , I know. Check out the most recent TSB. You're in luck.

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Old thread , I know. Check out the most recent TSB. You're in luck.
Already have my appointment set to get the new steering box. While my Jeep drives straight as an arrow with all the upgraded components I put on, and setting my caster angle to 6.5 degrees, I still have a terrible deadspot that I'm looking forward to getting rid of. Im looking forward to no longer having boat-like steering!

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Already have my appointment set to get the new steering box. While my Jeep drives straight as an arrow with all the upgraded components I put on, and setting my caster angle to 6.5 degrees, I still have a terrible deadspot that I'm looking forward to getting rid of. Im looking forward to no longer having boat-like steering!
About the same here. The multiple items I did out of pocket have disguised the problem pretty well. Still want the upgrade as during hot weather i can feel the pull and wander a bit.

....Now how long will it be until some legal firm tries to rally up everyone the recoup the costs incurred by owners to fix whats now a documented design problem ?
Sponsored